Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DarkeSword

Corruption sells 218k in 4 days according to August NPD. Not too shabby but it's a shame more people just don't care about Metroid games.

::sigh:: I hear that. Metroid is my favorite series, surpassing Legend of Zelda in my enjoyment of. I want everyone to love these games and experience them the way I do. What's wrong with people? :banghead:

Ah well. So, the music. You can download the sound track in its entirety here: http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index.php?g=mp3&p=music

Of course, no game, Metroid or not, has surpassed Super Metroid's soundtrack, but each of the Prime games has had one or two pieces of music I really liked. Now, I like Bryyo's main overworld, but I've found Rundus' battle music to be my absolute favorite track in the game. I'd love to hear what a remixer could do with it. What's the number one song for ya'll?

::sigh:: I hear that. Metroid is my favorite series, surpassing Legend of Zelda in my enjoyment of. I want everyone to love these games and experience them the way I do. What's wrong with people? :banghead:

Ah well. So, the music. You can download the sound track in its entirety here: http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index.php?g=mp3&p=music

Of course, no game, Metroid or not, has surpassed Super Metroid's soundtrack, but each of the Prime games has had one or two pieces of music I really liked. Now, I like Bryyo's main overworld, but I've found Rundus' battle music to be my absolute favorite track in the game. I'd love to hear what a remixer could do with it. What's the number one song for ya'll?

I thought the remix of Theme of Samus Aran was pretty damned epic. Also Bryyo Ice, but that's more because it continually references my all-time favorite Metroid track, Phendrana Drifts.

It's a fileplanet download, so in order to get it, you have to sign up. And I think those are paid memberships, so if you don't have one, you're shit out of luck.

Anyone got a non-membership required link?

It's a fileplanet download, so in order to get it, you have to sign up. And I think those are paid memberships, so if you don't have one, you're shit out of luck.

Actually this one is a free download, I filled out their little form but not for a paid membership.

You only need to have an account, but no payed membership required.

I was mulling over MP1 and MP3 in my head just now, and I realized that nothing in any Metroid game has matched the pure adrenaline rush and thrill of escaping the Space Pirate base when you get the thermal visor in MP1. Going back through that base blasting everything in sight in thermal colors with Stealth Pirates coming at you every which way and Metroids everywhere.

That has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming, ever. The fact that MP3 did not top this is one of the reasons i do not consider it to be better than MP1.

whoever said they wanted to hook up speakers to play the save room/arrival jingle on their car so it plays when they exit, you must find a way to do it and share. or i'll just play it on the stereo, but whatever, its hilarious and i gotta do it sometime

Personally, I just set that jingle to my login/Start Windows sounds, so every time I log in it plays. But if I could get that to do that in my car... ROFL, that would rock.

oh man i need to do this

Damnit I thought I was original. Oh well.

So, I'm replaying the game now on Hyper, and now that I've gotten a little bit into it again, I can say it's harder, but especially as a mode offered only after you beat the game, it's more tedious than actually challenging. Sure, everything takes more damage and does more, but after having just beaten the game, it's not hard to dodge some hoppers and blow some extra missiles. Eh. I should really give it some more time (not to mention a couple more boss fights than that first one on Norion) before I make a decision on Hyper difficulty, but I definitely had a great time going back through Hard on MP1, so Corruption has its work cut out.

That's not to say the game wasn't really good. It's definitely my second favorite of the trilogy, and actually not by a huge margin, like I expected. I freakin' love Prime. That game is awesome. The entire time I was playing Prime I kept thinking to myself that I felt like I was playing a 3-d version of Super Metroid. It just captured that feel perfectly.

Everyone else has given some good gripes about Echoes, so I won't restate what was obviously wrong about the game. As it stands, I liked it, but it was the weakest of the Prime trilogy, and maybe the least of all Metroid games. Being the worst Metroid game is still better than a lot of the games out there though.

I have a few mixed feelings about Corruption. Primarily (sorry,) it was retardedly fun. Even more so than Prime, this game dragged me through with its utterly addictive gameplay and truly fascinating presentation. I had hoped for a stronger story and more character growth (voice acting for the first time, more than three or four characters total, etc.,) but I didn't really expect it. My main caveat otherwise, if I can even call it a negative, is that the game often felt more like Zelda in terms of your advancement through the world. This is coming from a guy with a Triforce tattoo on his back, so that's not a huge problem for me, but there were a couple times where an area felt like I was being railroaded from one suit expansion to the next (Pirate homeworld, anyone? until I could clear the boss. Again, not a big gripe, but it took a little away from the Metroid feel that the game otherwise does very well.

Overall, though, I'm pretty pleased with the game. Also, did anyone else catch the two GF Technicians talking on the Olympus about that rebellion? I forget what they called it, but I certainly smell prequel off that piece. Frankly, that would be fuggin fantastic.

Now that we have seen the completion of the Prime series, I think it is time for us to hammer out what Retrostudios needs to do for their next 3D metroid.

Plot:

Phazon is gone.

We can possibly see a 3D remaking of Metroid, Super Metroid, or even Fusion.

Another "Prime" put in the middle of the series.

Continuation of the main arc, which is all the Metroid games outside of Prime, and would be placed after Fusion.

-My trust puts them at a Metroid, Metroid II, or Fusion remake. This is what I would feel comfortable with them doing.

-I'd enjoy a 3D Super Metroid if it were as awesome as Super Metroid. I don't trust them to make it awesome enough for Super Metroid...ya see... Metroid fan boyism possessiveness.

-I have a feeling they won't make any remake. I hold the same reservations about post-fusion Metroid, because then they'll need to include good story.

Story Presentation:

You see all the stuff you guys argued about Prime 3's story presentation, compared to something like Super Metroid, or Fusion. I would prefer a Super Metroid... you get goosebumps with the prologue, then a lot of it is almost literally in the backround, and doesn't intrude on your actual running around. Compared to Fusion, you constantly went from objectives to objectives. Story Presentation really requires a story to be good itself, which ties it to the plot above...

Gameplay:

Wiimote controls and speedier stuff changed a lot for the better.

However, they can't pull an Echoes. That is, make a second game sticking to the first just because the first worked when it did. I propose they need changes to their standard gameworld, in Super Metroid flavor. This is what I'd like to see:

-I want them to "break" their world. The "this is platform, that is scenery" breaks immersion. Change it to make the two fluidly combine. This would result largely in removing all those invisible slides and walls that make it impossible to go places that looks like you could go.

-Related to this, you have rooms. Room by room loading and room loaded dumps worked out wonderfully on the gamecube(especially with it's naturally fast loading times). The Wii is a similar, but different piece of hardware. While often called the gamecube 1.5, it wouldn't hurt to change the style of world loading. Preferably, more seamless and open.

-Momentum. MOMENTUM. This little trick is the secret to popular games. EX: The Momentum and physics like interaction in Super Metroid, or Halo. Super Metroid has remained the most fun of all 2D games- it has many strengths, but one thing that it has had that none of the others have had is momentum!

-Items. Along with the above, a major, "next step" to gameplay would be to add items we haven't seen. Especially ones such as the Speed Booster, which changed the level layout of all future 2D metroid games. I never would expect something like the Speed Booster introduced in the first two Metroid Prime games. However, with the wiimote for aiming, as we saw in Prime 3, controls are much more flexible now. A "run and shoot" is the goal, and can be combined with the speed booster for fluent, fast, and fun game.

Screw attack and flip jumps. The key to truly fluent gameplay is not have the control/transition between a flip jumping Samus and first person view very lengthy or jarring. Same for Morphball. There is no reason to restrict Samus's movement by putting in sickening camera "swings" when you go third person. Just toggle, and reduce the time it takes. People would be less bothered, really. With that, remove wall jump from the screw attack.

In fact, with scenery change, allow more ledge grab and freedom with wall jumps.

Space Jump. A previous problem, I'm sure, of having flip jump like space jump of 2D metroids, was control, and breaking worlds. As for control... well, put that wiimote to use, like you did for boostball aiming in Prime 3. During the height of your flip jump, point and press a button, and samus flips again in that direction.

Afraid of breaking worlds? Put Samus underground, or in enclosed space stations. If you really have to, invisible ceilings are acceptable. There is no reason to reduce the enjoyment of items by limiting to specific areas just because you're afraid when the guy keeps space jumping way way way up, he'll have immersion broken as instead of traveling across continents he hits a ceiling. =P

Spider ball. If you want to avoid immersion breaks, spider ball tracks! Morph ball slots! A morphball charging a Chozo statue is one thing, morphball based locks throughout a pirate base is another. Keep that to visors and shooting, nobody goes "oh cool" when you hop up into a bomb slot and bomb it. Spider ball tracks, get it to certain different objects which can be scanned which look like a natural part of the environment. It is magnetic, so say Samus can spider ball on certain metal materials.. the trick is, you wouldn't recognize it except through thinking... "the spider ball MIGHT work on that" and... visor use!

Grapple beam. It was done well in Prime 3. It was fun. If it is possible, combine the momentum and physics and let Samus start swinging stuff into each other. Instead of just ripping things off of flying things, why not just grapple them and slam them into the ground? Or, if you grapple something big, and it moves, it swings YOU around.

Lastly... just a personal favor. Bring back the completely separate, green warhead Super Missle!

I really don't want 3-D remakes of the 2-d games at all. I do want to see a Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2. As for how the next 3-D Metroid should be made? I have a design document in my head and unless Nintendo hires me, it'll stay there. I'd also like to see brand new 2-D Metroid, be it on DS or Wii.

Yes.

You just use the platform over to the right.

Or if you're coming back, a mildly interesting thing happens and you'll know what to do.

seriously nothing is happening

i got the ship grapple thing i think

and i go out there and theres some gears and stuff and theres those evil bat things

and nothing

and i can't make the screw attack jump across

I really don't want 3-D remakes of the 2-d games at all. I do want to see a Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2. As for how the next 3-D Metroid should be made? I have a design document in my head and unless Nintendo hires me, it'll stay there. I'd also like to see brand new 2-D Metroid, be it on DS or Wii.

That makes a lot of sense.

But if you just had a guess, what would go on after Fusion?