My computer is dead

Final_metroid

Blue screen of death, upon booting up windows, just as the log-on screen is loading up:

BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x000000c2

STOP: 0x00000043, 0xc1820000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

This happened after i hard-shut down the computer (held the power button down and turned it off) when I thought it was frozen. I did it however, while it was shutting down, and being impatient did not have me realize it was shutting down when I turned it off. So, in essence i pulled the power while it was naturally shutting down. Booting in all kinds of safe-mode does not work, debugging mode does not work, "last known good configuration" does not work.

I know im screwed, and probably i'll have to get a new operating system. But, i heard theres a "in-place reinstallation" of operating systems, can anyone shed some light on the subject? If anyone has any other alternatives to this, suggestions are welcome.

PS: Microsoft "support" is a load of technical jargon I cant understand so thats no help

Googling BAD_POOL_CALLER brings up some perhaps useful info:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83339

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=423270

http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_8k9z.htm

I have no idea of how to fix your issue though. I'd say look at the easiest fix methods for people who have has this problem, try them, and if they all fail justs reinstall windows over itself. The second link has another link on how to do that I belive. The situation you described, cutting power while it was turning off...possibly some kind of hard drive failure? I hardly ever use the windows shutdown but I always make sure the PC isn't doing anything.

God I hate BSODs.

Put in your windows CD, start the PC and enable booting from a device, in this case, the CD-rom.

When it will prompt you to install, you can select "repair windows." I've done it before, the results are... well, not perfect, but it will allow you to back up your data before you reinstall windows. (I'd reinstall just to be safe)

Put in your windows CD, start the PC and enable booting from a device, in this case, the CD-rom.

When it will prompt you to install, you can select "repair windows." I've done it before, the results are... well, not perfect, but it will allow you to back up your data before you reinstall windows. (I'd reinstall just to be safe)

ah, good. You mean those disks that are like maybe 100 something dollars with the windows on them? (although i can't really think of anything besides that, that would qualify as a boot disk) i'll try that and report back whether I sucessfully backed up everything and reinstalled

change of plans, my cousin who is a technician says that repairing anything might rewrite parts of the sector which would cause some loss of data we want to recover. I am planning to slave the drive to a laptop and transfer it to a 300 GB external drive. However, the other owner of the computer is getting a linux disc, trying to replace windows or something (who knows) and trying to get it to boot up enough to get the data off. which alternative is better?

Make sure it isn't a memory issue. If it is, then your repairs/fdisks/reinstalls will do nothing for you.

I had bad memory, and the result was random BSODs soon after startup. Memtest might be worth running.

is this something I can do off the command prompt? since i can't get past start-up? still, I don't know whether to use the slave or the linux disk, i'll try to slave at first, then i'll exhaust other options.

You might also be missing a few files + having bad sectors on your hard disk. I wish I knew how to fix bad sectors, which involves what I asked about in a thread that no one responded to.

If you can do it, I would slave it first. That way you're not trying to run anything off of it, so there's less likely to be an issue.

That's what I did w/ my '98 PC. That computer had music files on it that could be worth some moolah, if you know what I mean.

Slave first, and you'll be certain with yourself concerning losses.

is this something I can do off the command prompt? since i can't get past start-up? still, I don't know whether to use the slave or the linux disk, i'll try to slave at first, then i'll exhaust other options.

Memtest. I find the bootable floppy disk option the easiest to use. Of course, if your computer doesn't have a floppy drive, that might be an issue. :razz: There are other bootable options as well, if that's the case.

ok, i'm getting another computer on the grounds that the other owner and I have deemed it inconvenient to share, so i am getting another computer. Would it be appropriate to slave off of that?

You mean to ask whether you should slave the drive off of your new computer? If so, then that's fine. As long as you can slave it temporarily (just get the stuff of the drive), it's fine.

the damn thing is giving me permissions issues when I try to acess thye stuff on the drive besides the share and system folders, how can I disable the protection?

you dont need another computer, just a hard drive. put in the hard drive, load up the BIOS, and set it to slave.

then fire up knoppix. learn a couple simple linux commands (like cp, and you might need mount.)

cp to the slave hd.

yay.

Would this disable the access denied?