Just joined, and doing dissertation on the games industry >_<

Bowserteeth

Hi everyone,

I know I'm new here, and this is probably a really cheeky question, but...

As the topic title suggests, I'm doing a dissertation on the current games console market (too much research on online gaming for my liking!) and although I know a few gamers, I need to get opinions on the current console hardware generation from hardcore gamers.

I'd be extremely grateful for opinions and thoughts about this, so hopefully this will go some way to show which direction consumers want the games industry to go!

I'm so sorry this is my first post and I'm already asking favours, but I'm hoping everyone here will be like-minded, and have something to say!

The survey I made is here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=rUnh7k0fWgfoOI4Azl2pUw_3d_3d

Thankyou everyone, and I will post "properly" here as soon as this dissertation stress has died down!

I'm doing qualitative research, so I've tried to keep the questions as open as possible, so here's hoping.

The question about graphics and atmosphere is really just to test the waters about the whole ludology/narratology gameplay/graphics debate, so I'm just trying to get evidence of where most hardcore gamers stand. I have my own opinions but I'm probably not supposed to say anything until I've collected the responses, just to keep things all above ground and all that, lol :lol:

Finished completing the survey.

Question #5 definitely should be two questions, since it is a two-part question. Yet, it should also be separate because it does ask a somewhat different question than the first part of what makes a system different from its competitors.

In addition, what are your assumptions of what a "hardcore" gamer is in the survey? Are you looking at gamers who play multiple (current) systems? Gamers with a history of gaming on previous systems who have purchased or are looking to purchase a next-gen system? Gamers faithful to a certain genre or franchise? The term "hardcore" gamer is somewhat broad in its general use, though it's often assumed as someone who plays games on a regular to frequent basis.

Also, the survey is a little biased towards the action, adventure, and RPG genres in terms of the questions it asks, which is sorta what Zircon said. Games do also include puzzle, sports, music-game, simulation, stategy and other genres which focus primarily on game mechanics than visuals or presentation; games which may not be visually appealing, but are mentally appealing. I did mention it in my response to the survey, though.

Good luck with the dissertation.

Oh man, I am going to hate it when I have to do my dissertation. Good luck to you good sir.

I will definitely do this when I am more awake. It must be rough doing these, and I know that I will be seeking data when I do mine, so might as well give myself good karma and help you so that I have good luck on mine :D

man that came out so grammatically incorrect but i am too tired to care