Just joined, and doing dissertation on the games industry >_<

Bowserteeth

I filled out the survey, but when I clicked the "Done" button it told me the survey was closed. *sigh* I spent more than a little time answering each question and, while it was enjoyable to fill out, I certainly wouldn't have done so had I known it would be lost to the ether. Oh well.

Good luck with your dissertation. Perhaps you can post it as well when you finish so we can see what you took from everyone's input.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again =)

No iPods I'm afraid, but I do have another survey if anyone wants to vent their spleens about the games industry again! I got some really interesting responses last time, and ended up with some new areas to research.

I'm almost there...! :sleepdepriv:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=zTmNmkl_2b7Iuhed10BZLWsA_3d_3d

Thanks for your help everyone!

I could totally write an essay on question three:

3. What are your opinions on the relationship between games and cinema, as illustrated in the previous question? Do you believe this relationship is necessary?

Cinema is an extension of storytelling mediums such as theater and literature. Videogames are an extension of non-electronic games. Their separate histories make the mediums independent of each other. Stories can be integrated into games, but they can never be the focus. Similarly, games can be integrated into stories (Reality TV), but are never the focus of the story.

That Kingdom Hearts review was pretty good. I do like that series though, but I also like RE4...

Kwarp, I ended up studying different ways of telling interactive stories to make them fit in with videogames, and it's a very interesting topic.

I can't remember who made the comparison, but one author was comparing Homeric epics to video games because of the way that these stories used to be told by a storyteller who would often change things every time they were told, and the listeners would join in and ask questions or something.

I think I need more coffee, I'm losing it :|

Thanks for the responses again people, it's going great!