Blue Dragon

PosiBolt

Got the standard Gamestop call today, saying Blue Dragon would be available for pickup tomorrow... a little bit earlier than I thought it was getting released. Seems it snuck up on the release date. Anyone else looking forward to getting this?

I've played the demo off of XBox Live, and it looked really good. Same art style as the Dragon Quest games, and seemed to have really good voice acting and story as far as I could tell. Of course, what with Persona 3 and Metroid Prime 3 still on my plate, it may be a while before I have time to play it...

My "bro", Zac, is really looking foward to getting this game.

I'm eager to see what its gonna look like (Since I dont own a 360) since I have only seen screenshots... havn't seen one video of it.

But he and I were/ are HUGE Chrono Trigger fans so have, more or less, the "Dream Team" back is quite awesome.

However it doesn't appear to be getting as strong reviews as the hype made it seem (so much more grand, I mean)

From my impressions on the demo, its a traditional RPG with some strategy thrown in to charge attacks and make enemies fight each other. It seemed a bit easy and from what I've read story wise its not very strong and characters are kinda bland. Dunno, I'm still renting it but I am not going to buy it anymore.

I hear the characters and battles and everything are a bit bland in the first disc, then it starts getting intriguing on second and third discs.

I'll probably have to buy it. Can't rent a 40+hour game for me.

The demo really did make it seem like some of the battles were a bit too easy.

Posibolt? Forums?

Maybe. Either that or your eyesight is going bad.

From what i've seen of Blue Dragon, the graphics are very nice looking, especially on a HD tv. Hopefully the story will be good enough to make this a nice, much needed, addition to the 360's RPG lineup. If it's anything like some of the other games that have used the same art style, then i'm looking forward to a nice long RPG full of awesome story and gameplay.

i wanna get BD but I have way too many games on my plate right now. The demo didn't really do it for me either. Still playing persona3 and bioshock, i haven't even opened Jeanne D'arc. Very excited for Eternal sonata's release though, isn't is still September? Glad the 360 is getting some rpgs, and jrpgs no less. ^_^

I just picked BD up today and from the hour or so I've played so far I can say that

A. It's beautiful

B. It looks like the skills system is going to be pretty deep

C. The music is amazing.

Actually I've had the soundtrack for about a week so I already knew the music was great.

Between Blue Dragon and the previews I've seen for Mistwalker's other games I can already see I'm going to be much happier with the 360's RPG selection than I was with the original XBox's.

I wouldn't trust that demo whole heartedly personally.

For one, they crammed every useless skills and put you in middle of nowhere in the story. Just not a good way to start it off, IMO. Eternal Sonata was just simple and straightforward in a good way. One path, one boss. Blue Dragon was all over the place in the demo.

Meh I'm not interested in this RPG. I'm done with the traditional JRPG especially in this day and age. They need to ditch the tired old conventions which were only implemented due to technological constraints and develop some new gameplay. Oh and a good story would be nice as well.

Which is exactly why I'm so hesitant to play another JRPG after FFXII. The old turn-based system just seems so archaic and unnecessary today.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to Eternal Sonata more than anything. I still might give Blue Dragon a rental and make my decision based on that.

Which is exactly why I'm so hesitant to play another JRPG after FFXII. The old turn-based system just seems so archaic and unnecessary today.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to Eternal Sonata more than anything. I still might give Blue Dragon a rental and make my decision based on that.

I see no reason to malign Blue Dragon just because of that. Personally, I'm itching to play something traditional.

Also, the traditional gameplay is a love it or a hate it deal. I'm just glad the system at least has a JRPG now even if it's painfully traditional.

That, and the next Sakaguchi project, Lost Odyssey truly looks like an original premise. It seems like Blue Dragon was an elaborate test run on the 360.

Nothing's wrong with having a "painfully traditional" RPG ... if it's good. DQ8 is extraordinarily traditional, but it had enough innovation to keep thousands of players interested for 75+ hours. Blue Dragon has to be the single most generic RPG since the NES. If you haven't played it, read the character bios as a starting point. They seem remarkably familiar to the Tales series characters (Tales of Symphonia, specifically), but even more generic.

Ultimately, I'm not even suggesting that BD sucks- it doesn't. It's beautiful, the soundtrack is excellent, and for what it is, it works well. That last one is the problem though. What it is is overkill traditional with little innovation, and that is what ultimately hurts the game.

I'm fine with traditional if it was 15 years ago. Many RPGs have come by since then and have truly innovated. If the traditionalness could be offset by a killer storyline I'd probably look past it but everything I've read about Blue Dragon tells me otherwise, plus I'm not a fan of Akira Toriyama's art style outside of Chrono Trigger. Again the only reason for 'traditional' RPGs being the way they are was due to technological constraints. Now that is no longer an issue and I feel that the modern day traditional RPG is stale and just trying to cling onto old ways. If someone wants to make a game like that, why not on a system where the restraints are still in place like the DS or even PSP?