OverClocked ReMix Rock Opera Project- Need musicians!

DjSammyG

Okay guys, at this point, it's getting crowded on the male singers side. We have more than enough now, so I think that before I put any more male singers on the list, I'm going to need a sample of work. I gotta be critical, though, so don't feel bad if I reject you. I really just DO NOT WANT too many cooks in the kitchen. If you're on the list now, fine. but otherwise, you're gonna have to show me something special.

That is my favorite track on that album...the choice of instrumentation is just beyond words.

Yeah, it's so powerful and works so well. Plus, it's such a great melody to begin with.

If we could have this rock opera incorporate some metal opera, I could try my hand at arrangement of some stuff...my big issue right now is I'm still learning how to get a good sound for recording rhythm guitar stuff, though.

So this will be something like Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of The Earth?

Put me down for Bass Guitar, if you still need one.

Hmm...I'd put more trials in there for the boy to overcome, like maybe put the devil there somewhere, and his minions. Otherwise, sounds good.

Lol, that sounds Tenacious D-ish.

Uh... how can you have rock opera without classic rock.

Honestly.

That's like saying, "Hey we should do a heavy metal project on Tetris, but not actually do anything involving heavy metal. Or Tetris."

I know this is probably not the best example, but Green Day is generally not considered classic rock, but their album American Idiot is set up as a rock opera. Same goes for some of Dream Theater's work, and the already mentioned Ayreon. Even though they should perhaps be labeled as a Punk Opera and Metal Operas respectively, but that's not really the point =P

So the general idea that I'm getting here is that we want to tell a story that parallels to a mixer submitting a remix to be judged.

Next time you guys get together to brainstorm, my AIM and skype are both LokiSeraph. I'm generally free in the evenings (eastern time) but I won't be around this weekend.

If I could get a couple of examples of stuff we're modeling the project after, that would help me out a ton. I know there's some confusion as to what exactly our style or genre is, so maybe this still needs clarification.

Okay guys, at this point, it's getting crowded on the male singers side. We have more than enough now, so I think that before I put any more male singers on the list, I'm going to need a sample of work. I gotta be critical, though, so don't feel bad if I reject you. I really just DO NOT WANT too many cooks in the kitchen. If you're on the list now, fine. but otherwise, you're gonna have to show me something special.

You can drop me from the vocals list, unless needed. Like I said, recording is an issue for me anyway.

If you, for some reason, really need a lower-range baritone singer (I doubt it), you can always check out my website for some vocal samples.

I guess you'll be using a 96kbps mp3 for that one just to make the 6MB limit.

actually i think we've decided to do this as multiple songs, rather then a long medly.

also back to the genre idea, since it's multiple songs; i'm going to leave the individual sound of each track to it's arranger. i originally liked the idea of a classic rock sound, but i think it'd be cool no matter what we get.

I play alto sax and have a decent recording setup. I can also arrange wind parts and do notation and stuff. I have a bit of experience with wind arrangement, both with writing horn parts for a jazz band I was involved with in high school and for turning a one-person reed book (tenor, bari, clarinet, and flute) into enough material to keep 3 musicians busy for the musical Footloose.

I don't know how this would fit, depending on the exact style we end up with, but I'm also interested in playing around a bit with non-traditional sax effects: delay, wah, a touch of distortion, putting together several layers of alto parts and applying effects to all of them (the kind of thing you'd do with an autoharmonizer, only I don't have one), that kind of thing. The best example of what I have in mind is Jeff Coffin, the sax player from the Flecktones (check out, in particular, the sample of the track Scratch & Sniff from Live At The Quick; it's actually a bassoon player who's playing melody at the startup, but it's a similar kind of sound; you hear the sax come in and play with the bassoon, using the same effects, in the last 10 seconds of the sample).

By the way, wouldn't it be possible to release it in basically two versions? I like the idea of an epic 10-minute Rock Anthem along the lines of Bohemian Rhapsody, but if you'd want to submit it that would of course be hard.

So I thought that since these kind of (Progressive) Rock Songs often tend to be divided in pretty clear cut sections, it wouldn't be a far reach to have one big 10+ minute epic anthem telling the whole story ( In 2 or 3 movements), and then have the movements as seperate songs as well, which could then be submitted with proper encoding.

Anyway, it might just be a stupid idea, but I really like the idea of the 10-minute Rock Anthem as it would be something that's very different from any other projects up until now, and I think cutting it up in parts would make it look much more like other site projects.

Well, thanks to this whole idea, I spent a couple of hours getting a decent recording setup for my drum set (It's digital, get to that in a second). So if you need another drummer I can do that too. I play the drums better than the bass anyways.

There is one problem, and that is that the only drum set I have is a "digital" drum set. That is to say that it's not actually drums but drum pads that produce the same effect. They are limited in some capacities, but for the most part I find them to be of pretty decent quality for the basic and intermediate stuff.