OCR Game Lending (?)

Bahamut

So, this is something that has been discussed in IRC - we know a lot of us OCRers have lots of games, but even still there are lots of games that we still want to play. Maybe this will take off, maybe not, but how about a lending system? To be sure, there's some risk involved, especially initially, but if this idea does take off, we can have a feedback system in this thread for those who are interested in doing this.

Suggested guidelines are to mutually post that the lender will be mailing the game, and that the borrower will be borrowing it. The borrower will pay the shipping costs both ways, and both will post their experiences with the other as a lender/borrower (i.e. game came back in great condition, quick communication, etc.).

I'd recommend all payment transactions occur over Paypal since then the lender is protected if the borrower tries to run off with the game by demanding a payment through their payment resolution. Time limits can be set for how long a game should be out for too.

So, what do you all think?

You've got one crazy idea that MIGHT just work. I would like to have participated in this, but I live in Japan, so people wouldn't be able to play some of my games. Plus, the shipping would be hell. I personally hope this idea does take off but I think that it might not work for just one simple reason. Most of the people on this site are American. You know how Americans are. Always ready to take advantage of the system without a second thought about the morality of it. Here in Japan, when someone finds some money, even just 20 bucks (well, 2000 yen) they take it to the lost and found man. You ask an American what they would do if they found some money and most would say, "Depends on the amount," which means that if it's not a million dollars in a briefcase that the mafia is looking for, then they know that nobody will come looking for them if they take it for themselves.

Sorry to put the pessimist light on this, because I really DO hope this system works. So let's just think of this post as one that speaks the unspoken rules of the borrowing system.

I personally would like to borrow Alundra from someone or lend out the PS2 version of Tales of Destiny to someone. ^_^

You've got one crazy idea that MIGHT just work. I would like to have participated in this, but I live in Japan, so people wouldn't be able to play some of my games. Plus, the shipping would be hell. I personally hope this idea does take off but I think that it might not work for just one simple reason. Most of the people on this site are American. You know how Americans are. Always ready to take advantage of the system without a second thought about the morality of it. Here in Japan, when someone finds some money, even just 20 bucks (well, 2000 yen) they take it to the lost and found man. You ask an American what they would do if they found some money and most would say, "Depends on the amount," which means that if it's not a million dollars in a briefcase that the mafia is looking for, then they know that nobody will come looking for them if they take it for themselves.

fucking americans

Well, I guess that was a harsh generalization to make. But in my 24 years of living there, that's kind of how I felt. Of course, I know not EVERYBODY's like that but still. . . It seems like there's such a difference between the people out there and out here. Anyway, time to put away the pessimism hat. I totally hope this works out. Like I said, I don't think the PS2 version of Tales of Destiny is out in America. I'd like to buy that sometime and then let someone else experience the goodness. ^_^

Because Japan is oh so awesome.

Let's totally forget how they treat women over there with their huge rape rate and what not.

Every country has their good's and bad's. Deal with it, and leave our country alone :<

Also, which PS2 Tales of destiny is it? ToDRM?

Their rape rate is the same as the US, they just don't have a huge murder rate to cover it up :P

Haha, oh you Canadians.

<3

I will make a list of what I don't mind lending out later, though don't expect much on there. Not letting any of my rare games go. Had too bad experiences with lending games out that were rare before, resulting in me having to purchase games over again for the 2nd, and sometimes 3rd, time.

Err to get back on topic...I think it's a great idea. I would love to see it come to light but it still is a bit risky I suppose. I can imagine that if someone has a rare game and lends it out the borrower is likely to be tempted to "lose it" and pay for the actual game. I suppose to start it off it would have to be among ocr members that have met each other and established some sort of trust. It's still a cool idea and I'm sure there are some out there who rather not pay for a game to play it and of course that means you can rent it at blockbuster or something but I think with this system you'd have a longer time to have the game and finish it.

It *is* risky, but that is why I mentioned that the borrower pay for shipping via paypal - so that there is a potential method for the lender to demand payment for a stolen/lost/broken game.

Also, that's the incentive behind a feedback system. Of course you shouldn't lend out a rare game to someone with little to no feedback from others, or someone still borrowing a game from another, hence why I said it should be mentioned what game the borrower is borrowing from a lender each time.

Most of the people on this site are American. You know how Americans are. Always ready to take advantage of the system without a second thought about the morality of it. Here in Japan, when someone finds some money, even just 20 bucks (well, 2000 yen) they take it to the lost and found man. You ask an American what they would do if they found some money and most would say, "Depends on the amount," which means that if it's not a million dollars in a briefcase that the mafia is looking for, then they know that nobody will come looking for them if they take it for themselves.

You obviously don't know how Americans are. I've found money several times and returned it. I returned a lady's purse as well, and she came back and gave me 20 bucks as a reward.

I've left my debit card at the bar twice, and they've held on to it each time. I've seen them do it for countless others as well. Yes, there are assholes who will even beat you up to take $5 from you. But, before you stereotype all Americans, use your brain so that you won't make your own place of origin look stupid.

Oh yeah, and an American built this site and forum that you're posting your b.s. on, and several of them maintain it as well, so keep your denominations in PPR or somewhere else.

I personally would love to borrow (or buy >.>) a copy of Legend of Mana from someone.

I've got a copy of Legend of Mana that I'm not playing. Only problem is that it's packed up, since I'm moving in a month, so I don't want to dig it out until early October. If you don't mind waiting that long, I'll be glad to let you borrow or sell it.

Also, you can use paypal with just a bank account.

So, here's a list of games I'm willing to lend out at the moment and that are here with me:

DS

Mario Kart DS

Trauma Center: Under the Knife (highly recommended play)

Pokemon Diamond

Planet Puzzle League

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Big Brain Academy

PSP

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Loco Roco

Me & My Katamari

Sega Gensis Collection

Capcom Classics Collection Remixed

PS2

Bully

Devil May Cry 1 - 3

Kingdom Hearts

Eragon (I heard this game is bad, but for $10 I couldn't resist picking it up, especially after hearing it was worth $10)

Wii

Metal Slug Anthology

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Looking to Borrow:

Wii

Excite Truck

You obviously don't know how Americans are. I've found money several times and returned it. I returned a lady's purse as well, and she came back and gave me 20 bucks as a reward.

I've left my debit card at the bar twice, and they've held on to it each time. I've seen them do it for countless others as well. Yes, there are assholes who will even beat you up to take $5 from you. But, before you stereotype all Americans, use your brain so that you won't make your own place of origin look stupid.

Oh yeah, and an American built this site and forum that you're posting your b.s. on, and several of them maintain it as well, so keep your denominations in PPR or somewhere else.

I know I shouldn't respond to your comment, but I will.

Sure he really shouldn't have generalized on all of America, but he did live here for 24 years supposedly, so it's fair for him to assess where he was compared to where he is now. I know there are a lot of good people out there... but I'd also have to say there are just as many "not so righteous" people. I've got no idea how it's like in Japan but unless I have some indication to someone's intent ANYWHERE, I couldn't participate in something like this on the premise alone that there ARE alot of assholes here. And the internet is possibly the worst place to judge someone's character.

Anyway, he sure should have stated it differently, but his idea was far from ill intended and it really didn't seem like he meant boast his self-righteousness.

I just want everyone to play fair and get along. <3

Oh and Bahamut, great idea but to scary for me. My games are practically my children. :| I hope it flies well!

Here are my thoughts on it...

Borrowing- Really, just a bad idea. Quite a few things can go wrong, and the greater the distance between lender and borrower, the higher the chances are that something will go wrong. Between losses and damages by the USPS, dishonest folk, accidents that happen in the borrower's home, people who are dumb enough to lend their friends a game that they themselves are already borrowing from someone else, and stuff like that, there are all sorts of things that make lending games in such a manner a bad idea. And unless there's some kind of "agreement" written up for OCR, there's a chance the site could get tangled up in the festivities if something goes wrong. And really, it just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Selling/Trading- This could actually work. A forum dedicated to games that people are willing to sell/trade, or that others want to buy/trade for. Hell, if you expand it to include other things like Anime, music CDs, and such, it could be quite a handy little forum. Maybe something like one main "Garage Sale" forum that has several sub-forums for those categories.

Shmups.com has just such a place for selling/buying/trading shmups (console and arcade), and it seems to be doing quite well. The buyer and seller arrange how to ship it, and the buyer pays for it. If it's a trade, then both parties pay for their respective shipping choices. Tracking numbers should be a requirement though, that way you eliminate the whole "I sent it, so it must have been lost *wink*" bullshit scam. It's only a couple bucks more to get it done with the USPS, and UPS and them have it in place by default I believe, so...

Oh. And a disclaimer for OCR would still be a good idea.