OCR00305 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Particle Brain"

Saunders

Sonic the Hedgehog 'Particle Brain'

Gotta love that bass filled mini-intro, and I can barely keep myself from flailing along to the rest of the mix as well. After the intro, the mix turns into a great bass heavy mix of just outright fun and velocity, and what I like about this mix is just that. There are a lot of different things going on here in this mix, wonderful, cool, jump-around-happy-be-happy things. As I've said before, (and I'm sure I'll say many more times) I haven't heard the original so I don't have room to compare it to anything, but I have a feeling the Genesis version was definitely nowhere near the great piece of tunage this mix is.

• 2 months later...

GOD i love it, this remix is so genius. I have played all the Sonic the Hedgehog video games(i have all of them...almost), and ever since i was young i love the music in the Sonic games. This remix for Scrap Brain zone is just genius, the sound effects are just out of this world. I hope that one of these days i can create just as genius as this song/remix, it doesnt get any more genius than this.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a good piece to listen to. The taste and feel of the song fit the origonal quite nicely. The beat chosen is all right. The additions to this piece do add to the piece as a whole, and it is origonal.

For a lot of the song, the emotion seems flat. It picks up a bit by the end and is able to build.

The end is lazy though. Too much space of low key without substence.

Overall, though, The pros of this piece far outway the cons.

83.3%. Great!

This is Jivemaster's masterpiece. I have never heard anyone do so much with percussion alone, though I may be defining "percussion" a bit widely. Taking my perhaps broad accounting of the word, the actual synth tune is something of an icing upon the cake that is the sequence of percussion ... thingies ... through which this mix moves.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, if I could JUST remember the Sonic games, then I bet I'd getta heck of alot more out of this... :x I do really like this though. It's like something that plays during trance sessions @ clubs! A defenite dl must for anyone who *hearts* trance stuff! :lol:

~^~Mary_mari's seal of approval~^~

• 1 year later...
I didn't like it at all. WAAAY to chaotic, even for techno. Sorry that's all I can think of.

This guy may have a point. When djpretzel started to talk about this great intro, I thought it was going to be some sort of incredible launch of many different synths and cool beats. But instead, it was rough and loud beats that kind of scratched me in my ears and beyond.

Everything happened too sudden, the melody started to play alone without even have some sort of soft synth before nor with it, and then stopped just as sudden. Chaotic may be one way to describe it, but I've heard better than this.

Edit: HEY, page 2! :D

• 3 months later...

hahahahah Pretzel was the easily amused one this time.

I like what's happening during the middle of this mix. The beginning eh. I don't hear what's so chaotic about though. This is mild to me.

edit: actually I take that back, its grown on me while I posted this and now I like the beginning! whooOOOoaaaaa my will is easily bent.

• 3 months later...

It's alright music, but lacks creativity if you asked me...

Scrap Brain is actually my favorite track out of all of Sonic 1, and I felt this mix doesn't do it much justice just sitting the main melody on mostly one minor chord. Kind of boring... It takes a good melody line and just blandens it (if that's even a word...). There it sits, mostly stripped...

Mind you, a new chord progression isn't bad, when done well. Only thing about this one is that it rarely progresses, if at all...

• 1 year later...

Production on this one is all over the place, but it does have some energy to it, and I can totally see how this was the shizz back in the day. The filtered, arped, and gated whatever-the-hell-it-is synth is very effective, and easily drives the track. The lead sound is a bit too laid back though for the rest of the track, and the percussion is mixed strangely, with a ton of air in it.

The amount of progression is a small detriment, as there really ins't much more beyond sudden breakdowns and buildups; the transitions are break-neck as well, which I think make it sound a little out of control. Beats are decent but very straightforward. Not one of Jivemaster's best, but it holds up alright. Overall that synth carries the entire mix.

• 2 years later...

This is an extremely hard tune to remix, and I can hear Jivemaster wrangling with it, trying to salvage some of the good ideas out of this techno scribble.

I don't think the lead melody meshes that well with the sound, and for me there was enough reason here to think this could have been an abandoned experiment. It doesn't really do anything with the tune and it disappointingly turns it's focus onto the breakneck side of things.

Technically, it sounds pretty good for its age. But I don't think the ideas were executed too well and maybe it was a bit too ambitious for the time.

Can't say it worked for me.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00305 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Particle Brain"