OC ReMix Blogs: Any interest?

djpretzel

What are your thoughts on adding integrated blogs to OCR?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on adding integrated blogs to OCR?

• I'm a ReMixer and I'm interested, even if it costs $$$
    • I'm a ReMixer and I'd only do it if it were free
    • I'm a visitor and I'm interested, even if it costs $$$
    • I'm a visitor and I'd only do it if it were free
    • I think it's a bad idea or am otherwise uninterested

vBulletin, the forum software we use, recently release a blog addon.

You can see what it looks like at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php.

The blog software itself costs $50 for the entire site.

I'm thinking it could be useful for at least two sets of users:

• ReMixers who want to keep users abreast of WIPs, original works, etc.
  • Regular visitors who would prefer a blog hosted here as opposed to the numerous free options (blogspot, etc.) because they'd be focusing on game mixes, game music, etc.

However, I really don't know just HOW much interest there'd be, and we definitely don't want to give everyone a blog, as the performance and moderation impact would be severe.

One option I was considering was making this a paid upgrade - for $15 you get an OC ReMix blog, and if you're also a ReMixer, it gets linked to your ReMixer profile page, most of which show up pretty high in google, etc. If at least four people signed up, it'd pay for itself.

I'm running this public poll to get a sense of whether this is worth pursuing now or at some point in the future. I could see it being awesome, if a core group of mixers and users really started using it effectively, or I could see it totally sucking, if few people signed up and no one updated regularly. Let me know what you think!

Albeit that I'm just a lowly noob who's trying to get his musical stuff in order, I see it as a cool add-on to the OCR community.

However, I do agree that the impact of possibly giving everyone a blog would be catastrophic. It's hard to believe that it's only $50.

I would say that should if there's no little support within a given amount of time, I guess I could chuck $20 into the pot to make things easier for everyone I guess. Just to make things slightly easier for the community. Hope that helps.

Edit: I'd probably have to send it as a donation, due to my Paypal account being just short of "cruci-fucked" for the time being.

I think its a cool idea, because it means you can see what your favourite remixers are getting up to, but I would argue that maybe its something only OCReMixers should have the option of; as you said, if everyone had one it could negatively impact performance though I doubt it would be that popular.

Paying for stuff is always iffy... If I had to pay, I probably wouldn't get one, but I would still be interested in reading those of others.

I think it is awesome and would totally love to blog on (for?) OCR, especially if recent entries or good entries or something were featured on the front page. However, I definitely could not afford (and would not be willing) to pay for a blog D:

Besides, it isn't like it would hurt the site if it were added, just would cost a bit. Though I don't like the idea of paying, one positive aspect would be that only people that were seriously interested would do it. However, it would also limit the pool of potential bloggers as well.

Reader's digest version: I think it is a pretty awesome idea.

I don't really know why I'd want to pay for a blog. I already have 5 or so free ones at my disposal. I'm actually surprised people want to spend money on a blogging plugin for vB, but more power to them if they have that kind of money to spend. I don't believe it should cost anything at all, so I voted that I'd be interested if it were free.

I think $10 is a more reasonable contribution. $5 is even better...it'll take longer to pay for itself, but it's below most people's "impulse buy" threshold. In fact, I might get one at that price. :P

Well, it does incur a CPU/memory hit that's harder to quantify in terms of $$$, but regarding the price being below an impulse buy... couldn't that be a bad thing? I'm honestly more concerned with blogs being started and abandoned, or started and abused (requiring more work for moderators) than I am about outright cost... $15 to me says that you wanna use the thing and will use the thing. BTW, if we do this and I have my own blog, I'll contribute $15 to the site as well, for whatever that's worth.

OverCoat's 100% correct that there are free blogs elsewhere, many of which have more features and are technically superior. The advantage here is purely and simply integration with www.ocremix.org - if that's of little or no value, I can't imagine wanting one either. If, however, that's of some value, or perhaps even a great deal, then it seems like it'd be worth it...

At any rate, I'm definitely interested in more feedback and votes, so if you know some mixers/visitors you think might be interested, send 'em this way. We also wanna hear from those who think the idea just plain sucks, but hopefully their vote would be accompanied by an explanation as to why.

It sounds like a good deal for $50 bucks, and I suppose people would prefer to get a popularity boost by having an OCRemix blog rather than joining one of the million blogs on blogspot (unless there starts to be tons of blogs on Ocremix), then again, there's probably less customization and power (therefore less individuality) in this system than if you just make your own blog (like I do). The Google thing is a good point, but then again, I use wordpress which has already pushed my site to the top of many google searches in a few weeks..

So basically, my answer was "uninterested" but if people really want it, then I guess that speaks for itself.

Well...regarding the price being below an impulse buy... couldn't that be a bad thing? I'm honestly more concerned with blogs being started and abandoned, or started and abused (requiring more work for moderators) than I am about outright cost... $15 to me says that you wanna use the thing and will use the thing.

Yeah I definitely agree with that point. I would use the blog as an adjunct to my musical projects and for posting WIPS and general ideas. A one-off payment for a blog that has a specifically music-based focus sounds like a good idea to me, I'm in.

I'm pretty interested in the possibility of an official OCR blog system, but I don't know if I would be willing to pay for it. I'm always a bit uncomfortable sending money online.

Plus, there are plenty of free blogging options, and I'm not sure if just having the OCR name on a blog is worth $15. Would there any other perks?

If there's anything else to be gained by using an OCR blog, I MAY be willing to pay for it. Otherwise, I'd only use it if it was free.

I'm pretty interested in the possibility of an official OCR blog system, but I don't know if I would be willing to pay for it. I'm always a bit uncomfortable sending money online.

Plus, there are plenty of free blogging options, and I'm not sure if just having the OCR name on a blog is worth $15. Would there any other perks?

You're supporting OCR?

While I'm not a ReMixer, I dabble in instrumental arrangement, and a lot of times I do vg stuff.

All that to say, I might pay the $15 for a OCR blog. At the least, it'd be a nice way to give to the site, since the last time I contributed was when I bought an OCR shirt back in 2004.

I voted yes even if it costs money. Although 15$ for a blog is a bit too much (yeah it's only 15 dollars, but hell, it's a blog, it's like paying for webmail). I voted like this mostly because I would be glad to contribute to the site, and at the same time get something nifty back. The integration into the site would be cool as well, but still a bit expensive for what it costs and what it is.

Otherwise, it's a good idea that I would like to see implemented. There's a problem with too many people that might not be too meaningful for the website making blogs, and also moderating them, so it's something you should think about more carefully.

Alright, my post may seem moot considering I don't really post much on the forums, but I still decided to give my two cents.

As other people have mentioned, spending $15 on a blog just to have a blog associated with OCRemix just isn't worth it for me. However, I do agree that it will control the amount and content of the blogs that are made. It would prevent random people from just getting another blog to spout random stuff out of and will coerce bloggers to focus on those who actually paid the money which would mainly be the remixers themselves.

My opinionated gripe here is that I would love to have a blog on OCRemix focusing on everything game-related (considering that I love to blog) for other gamers to read, especially someplace where I can post up opinions on remixes where people actually care. As much as I love praising them on other blogging sites, something tells me the majority of my visitors just don't understand what the Hell I'm talking about. Then again, there could be others who would only bash remixes, and of course that's just not good for the community on a whole.

The price, of course, would prevent me from doing so, but in terms of the greater good I think the payment is justifiable...to an extent. Reason being that the worry of having random people blog about random stuff and moderation issues MIGHT be minimal. Assumptions in full effect, this is because (as mentioned before), there are so many other free blogging sites out there that there is no reason one would just come onto an OCRemix blog and spout news unrelated to gaming/remixes. When one would want to blog about games/OCRemixes, they would do so on their OCRemix blog; when one wants to blog about their life, issues, politics, etc...they have blogspot, xanga, hell even myspace to do that.

So overall I think a blog would only help OCRemix, if it was paid for or not. If it was only available for remixers, it would be good news for normal folk like me as we can check up on upcoming projects and such; if it was available to every member, there's a possibility we can get something interesting out of it. I don't entirely approve of the payment, but at the same time I can see why it would be in effect.

Two cents :-)