OC ReMix Blogs: Any interest?

djpretzel

What are your thoughts on adding integrated blogs to OCR?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on adding integrated blogs to OCR?

• I'm a ReMixer and I'm interested, even if it costs $$$
    • I'm a ReMixer and I'd only do it if it were free
    • I'm a visitor and I'm interested, even if it costs $$$
    • I'm a visitor and I'd only do it if it were free
    • I think it's a bad idea or am otherwise uninterested

This has been up for awhile; I actually think I'm eventually gonna move my own blog off my homepage and here to OCR, so we'll probably be going ahead with this, FYI...

...BUT I'm going to wait until we've safely upgraded and templated vBulletin 3.7; there are enough changes, specifically to the interface, that I want to handle them and get us set on 3.7 before adding anything new (like the blogs).

I'm glad this is happening, if I only knew how to make the nice work smiley!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're actively looking into this. Still.

Our issue is this: if we do blogs, we sorta want them to kick ass. And vBulletin's blog implementation is a little... questionable.

We could do a Wordpress-MU install, but then everyone would need separate accounts. We could try a vbDrupal integration, but... those can be insanely complex and error prone.

You can see vB's implementation at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php; any thoughts on it, the options above, or other options I'm not thinking of are more than welcome...

that vb stuff looks really graphically not up to par with the rest of this site, IMO.

that's another point. is this going to look like it got kludged onto the side of OCR, or is it possible to get it to be the same graphical design as the rest of the site?

Anything is possible with the magic of css. The real issue is integration for a single login.

Well I don't know what you're looking for in terms of features, but GamingForce has a fairly decent-looking "ChocoJournal" system, and also uses vB. Maybe ask them about details regarding implementation.

It's nice, to be sure, but it appears to be theirs, as in proprietary, and from what I've seen, they're not sharing it.

Anything is possible with the magic of css. The real issue is integration for a single login.

One issue is that in order to see how far I could "fix" the crap layout of vb blogs, I think I'd have to actually buy it. $60, not huge, but would still suck to buy it then find out it's not... salvageable. I might end up doing this anyways, because as you say, login integration is the real headache.

Any talented web designers wanna take a shot at mocking up a retemplated version of vb blogs, OCR style, with the same information & features, but with less suck? Proof-of-concept?

• 1 month later...

I'd say do it DESTRUCTOID STYLE! But Destructoid uses a professional blogging system that's for internal use only, and would probably cost a mad amount of money if it were for sale.

I would vouch for the Wordpress multi-user package, but alongside vBulletin and the core site it seems like it would be a loose jumble of parts that can't be maintained well together. Sorta like a Genesis console with all the add-ons. It depends really on how the well code/files in this site are managed.

I had to vote for the last option only because my option wasn't on the list, and that's that ... *yawns* ... blogs are boring. ~_~ And I do say this despite the fact that I've posted to freeby blogs (albeit extremely occasionally), but the point is this... people are eventually gonna just use this feature to post off-topic blurbs or try to post "unmoderatable" rants.

If the staff really want to deal with 'at, then that's all well and good so long as it's just optional, but is it really even necessary? We already have places on the boards for that kind of stuff, so what's the point? And for WIP/game interests, hasn't anybody ever heard of the "search" function? Or how about just making a new relevant thread? It just seems like much ado about nothing.... *eyeroll*

I suppose if it's just a free or pay-for option for those that really want to go for it, then whatever... let people blow their money on it for what it's worth. Other than that, you can count me out of it.

Would this eventualy mean the reinstatement of BlueFoxIcy to the forums? He seemedto be good at 'LiveJournal' threads, so if this happens, he'd be good to have.

But unfortunately, I can't see it happening. There's no real point to it, when you can just post in the forum and get the same effect. I don't mean to be so negative, but while the occasional interview as such would be good, an entire blog would be posted to a lot during the "honeymoon period" before being largely ignored after about 2 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a good idea to me, I think it would be best if it were just for OC ReMixers though, what would everyone else do with them anyways?

It would really make it easier for users to find out what remixers are doing, and would help the remixers advertise albums, songs, projects, services etc. For a 1 time fee of 15 bucks I'd say that's very reasonable for a business asset, even for non business reasons, once the money is saved up and paid once, then you don't need to worry about it.

I'm all for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to unstick this... my general sense is that enough people would be interested (including me - I'd be far more likely to post here than on my personal site) that it'd be worthwhile.

vBulletin just announced some significant changes/updates to their blog product. I'm going to hold out and wait to see if they fixed the many things that are broken with it. If they do, that's probably what we'll use. If not, I'm thinking Wordpress-mu with a bridge of some sort.

I'm going to unstick this... my general sense is that enough people would be interested (including me - I'd be far more likely to post here than on my personal site) that it'd be worthwhile.

vBulletin just announced some significant changes/updates to their blog product. I'm going to hold out and wait to see if they fixed the many things that are broken with it. If they do, that's probably what we'll use. If not, I'm thinking Wordpress-mu with a bridge of some sort.

C'mon, vBulletin, don't let me down.