*NO* Chrono Trigger 'TFAT Mr. Pup'

djpretzel

heya, here's a remix from chrono trigger, to far away

times.

i made it at the beginning of the year, all with

fruity loops, and then i fixed it up a bit using

reason. i called it 'to far away phunk' but it's not

really that funky - it's pretty mellow actually, but

my partner and i like to call ourselves 'phunk, ink.' feedback's welcome, good or bad. i may or may not submit another remix i made - from megaman 3 - dr. wily stage. enjoy =)

-jason

The first thing I really notice in this mix is the mixture of great sound pianos with electronic instruments - I like the mixture, and I think it works out quite nicely. Though, the introduction is rather boring, I think the later parts make up for it. I really dislike the snare drum used - It's overpowering, and the bass gives me a headache. Bass needs some sort of dropoff (I actually forgot a better term that could be used here, but I think it works), and the constant volume just aggrivates my ears. I felt the ending was mediocre - Just faded out - I was hoping for some ending pianos or something.

Tough decision - Think about what I said for next time.

NO

The first thing I really notice in this mix is the way all of the instruments are in slightly different keys - please fix that. Tune. Find someone with a good ear for music and they'll be able to tell you that every one of those parts sounds out of tune from the others. And really, I mean, you've got this great build up (sans the out of tune instruments) and then you climax around 1:20 with this SNES sounding beat and drum kit. It just seems like the build doesn't really go where it sounds like it should/wants to/etc. At 2:52 we're back into something kind of cool. And I think at this point, most of the instruments used are in tune with each other... or at least mostly. Anyway, I didn't think the ending was awful, but it wasn't splendorful either, so .... yeah I've got enough bad things on my list to say:

NO

DC

Pros:

Amazing original.

Cons:

What a great song, too bad jason didnt do anything with it.

Im guessing a direct spc rip with simple instrument resellection. Some modification on the melody at certain points to make it seem like it wasnt a complete rip. Again, if I falsly accused the mixer of ripin the spc, Im sorry, but the point still stands that everything is the same as the original with different sounding instruments.

A simplistic beatloop is present. It changes to another simplistic beatloop later on.

I know this song by heart, and I know nothing has changed.

Finally, I want to reitterate that this is NOT Overclocked Rerendering. This website does not post rerenders of songs. There needs to be some serious expantion present, some new ideas, some new melodic progressions, perhaps. SOMETHING that makes the song new and interesting. Sounding exactly like an SPC with a beat and better (or in this case, not better) instruments does not even approach this goal.

Jason, please take these words into consideration for next time, but for now,

NO

-pro