A Audio program that supports "Music Writing"

Reno

Im fairly new to the entire music creation stuff, mainly Im more of a animation, 3D CGI, and digital art person, but I wanted to give song writing a try.

Do most programs out there "Like Fruity Loops, or Logic, ect.) support the feature where you actually write in the notes like you would sheet music? Finale is the only program I know that does this, but does any other?

Speaking for programs I've used . . .

Both Sonar and Digital Performer have sheet music views. Pro Tools and Reason do not.

If you want to write in a sheet music view but also want to use a program that doesn't have it, one option is to do the actual writing in a notation program like Finale/Sibelius/NoteWorthy then export the music as a MIDI file and import it into the other program.

I've found the notation in programs like Cubase to be really lacking and awkward for someone used to composing in a dedicated "staff paper" application. I would recommend Sibelius 5, which now has full VST support. If you just want a program to throw down some notes in without any fancy digital audio options, the other programs mentioned here should do just fine.

Well, it depends what you want to do. Sibelius and Finale are designed to be notation programs first and playback tools second, and they don't really provide you with any audio editing capabilities, effects, mixing/levels, etc. as far as I know. You're basically at the mercy of their playback engine. If your goal is to make sheet music, with the added bonus of being able to hear a demo of what you've made, go for one of these.

On the other hand, if your goal is to produce high-quality digital music that won't actually be played back by live musicians reading from the sheet music (i.e. if the reason you want sheet music is because you're more used to composing that way), you should go with a DAW (digital audio workstation; basically a program that has mixing capabilities, effects, can apply all kinds of plugins, synths, and sample-based instruments, can sequence MIDI, etc.). Programs like logic, reason, FL Studio, Cubase, and Sonar are all DAWs, some better or worse at certain features than others. As people have mentioned, some DAWs have notation editors. None of those will be as good as Finale or Sibelius, as Finale and Sibelius are dedicated notation tools, but on the other hand, DAWs allow you to produce higher-quality audio.

If you only care about sheet music, get a notation program. If you care about actual audio, go with a DAW. You could consider one that has a built-in notation editor, or you could also consider getting a DAW along with a scaled-down version of Finale such as PrintMusic or Allegro, doing the notation there, and bringing it into a DAW to produce audio. I've found Finale PrintMusic, which cost me around $100 to be sufficient as a notational tool, and in all honesty, there aren't a lot of notational features that Finale provides and PrintMusic doesn't (or, at least, there weren't when I bought PrintMusic 2006 a year ago; I haven't kept up with the latest versions). Sure, you lose the higher-quality Garritan plugins that Finale proper has, but if you're doing the audio in a DAW anyway, you probably won't care.

EDIT: Also, Finale vs. Sibelius seems to be a matter of debate, but I'm not convinced that one is significantly better than the other in any feature, just like there are people here who will champion their favourite DAW over all others, deserved or not. If possible, try to demo them both if you're spending that kind of money.

Sibelius is a lot more user friendly whereas Finale assumes you know what you're doing on a computer. Neither are exactly ideal for mixing, but if you're like me and can't stand the little shitty notation things that come in most mixing programs, you're gonna want to look at either Sibelius or Finale. (I prefer Sibelius because of the way the quick entry works, but that's just me)