The MAGFest 6 Topic (omgz)

Geoffrey Taucer

If all goes as planned, I'm staying with avaris, OA and prophet. Still not 100% though.

Man, I NEED TO GET FREAKING TICKETS

btw, anyone wanna give me a ride to Dulles the day after?

..man I have no idea if the time they show for the flight from dulles is sweden time (the site I'm searching at is in swedish) or US time.. it says 20.15 O.o I hope that means I can totally not rush and hang out at the airport ;P

I have to investigate this :D

If all goes as planned, I'm staying with avaris, OA and prophet. Still not 100% though.

Man, I NEED TO GET FREAKING TICKETS

btw, anyone wanna give me a ride to Dulles the day after?

..man I have no idea if the time they show for the flight from dulles is sweden time (the site I'm searching at is in swedish) or US time.. it says 20.15 O.o I hope that means I can totally not rush and hang out at the airport ;P

I have to investigate this :D

Usually, they show the local time of the place of departure.

Hello everybody, I'm one of the two manager's for the new event this year at MAGFest VI, JamSpace.

Dom and I are hard at work ensuring that this will be an amazing and permanent addition to MAGFest, and we're stoked that so many of you are showing an interest! Our Wiki has been updated, and will continue to be updated in months to follow as we finalize everything.

In any event, I wanted to give you guys our most recent update on the instruments we'll have available at the event, and some of the things we have planned:

" Instruments and Equipment available but not limited to:

Yamaha P140 Keyboard, Yamaha Motif 8 Keyboard, Casio Non-weighted Keyboard, Shure Knock-off mic, Recording Equipment, Peavy 4Chan Mixer, Electric Strat Guitar, Peavy Electric Guitar, Classical Guitar, bongos, Djembe, 2 Irish Whistles, 1 Irish Ocarina."

In addition, as you know everybody is welcome to bring their own instruments along to jam with us! If, for convenience, you'd like to leave your instrument in the JamSpace room you are free to do so. MAGFest is not responsible for the equipment of convention attendees, however the JamSpace room will be staffed at all times.

Dom and I are also setting up a JamSpace Concert (which is completely separate from the formal MAGFest concert) based out of JamSpace's location. We'll have a list of performers including Dom and myself (pianists). In addition to the formal list, we'll have a sign-up sheet for those of you who would like to perform in front of an audience!

If you're the type of person who likes to do a little more planning ahead, and would like to work out some details on JamSpace with Dom or I prior to the event, you can check out the JamSpace Wiki for details on how to get ahold of us.

There's more to come, but thats the updated gist of it. I'll make another update here when we've got some more finalized information.

We're looking forward to seeing and jamming out with everybody!

Edit: I too can be contacted via AIM as AmericanPianist

Ah you beat me to it the reply!

This is Dom, also helping run the magfest jamspace. If you guys need anything or have ideas or questions about it, let me know here or you reach me on AIM as LinuxThis42. I'm psyched about having ocremix involved in this and can't freaking wait for January.

Take it easy

-Dom

If, for convenience, you'd like to leave your instrument in the JamSpace room you are free to do so. MAGFest is not responsible for the equipment of convention attendees, however the JamSpace room will be staffed at all times.

I don't know how much of a pain this would be, but if the JamSpace room (whatever that is) is going to be staffed at all times, why not set up a kind of ticket system? Something that would make it so someone can drop off their instruments, and get a ticket so they can ID it when they pick it up later. I figure a ticket with two halves (each half having the same info and number) would be easy to design, and just as easy to have printed out in the quantities needed. Then the ticket could simply be halved when the instrument is dropped off, with the patron getting one half, and the other half going on the instrument they left there.

This would probably mean renting extra enclosed space to provide such a service, unless this JamSpace room isn't the main concert area. But the costs for that could be made up with perhaps a small fee of $3-5 per instrument for the temp storage.

Anyway, just a thought.

I don't know how much of a pain this would be, but if the JamSpace room (whatever that is) is going to be staffed at all times, why not set up a kind of ticket system? Something that would make it so someone can drop off their instruments, and get a ticket so they can ID it when they pick it up later. I figure a ticket with two halves (each half having the same info and number) would be easy to design, and just as easy to have printed out in the quantities needed. Then the ticket could simply be halved when the instrument is dropped off, with the patron getting one half, and the other half going on the instrument they left there.

This would probably mean renting extra enclosed space to provide such a service, unless this JamSpace room isn't the main concert area. But the costs for that could be made up with perhaps a small fee of $3-5 per instrument for the temp storage.

Anyway, just a thought.

Good call! We've been working on a system similar to what you've described. As JamSpace will have it's own room separate from the other events, the instruments will be kept there both for convenience and for ease of keeping tabs on.

Rest assured that we're working on the best system possible for this. I didn't mention it before, because we haven't finalized everything. However, good idea and thanks for mentioning it!

A quick note to those planning on bringing an instrument -- just like with luggage when traveling by plane, mark your instruments or cases somehow. This isn't required, just extremely helpful, especially in the chaos of a convention.

I'll bring my djimbe. Good times guys. Sammy, you'd best bring those bongos again.

Speaking of hand drums, you wanna collab on that Babayatu remix you were thinking about, Tauce? I seem to remember some solid hand drumming in that song, and I would certainly give it a try.

You know, I'd already talked to Sammy about doing exactly that. I'd say it's up to him whether or not to let a second percussionist in, but if it's ok with him it's ok with me.

i think its fantastic that i can play every instrument that's going to be in the room so far. i did NOT notice a bass, though, which is unfortunte, and might require me bringing my POS Peavey Foundation (lol).

and no offense, but there's no way in hell i'm leaving my saxophone there. just a statement of fact.

so i'm bringing my sax, a D whistle, a recorder, a melodica, and my voice. maybe my bass.

Haha, how many whistles are we gonna have at this con?

Never enough! I say someone bring a mic ftlolz. Maybe not pick the FF prelude again though (MMM anyone?).

Maaaaaybe i'll bring my clarinet, but i haven't played it in a good 2 years. I suck at improvising too. But looking silly generally doesn't stop me.

And you can always put Sammych on cowbell. There's always space for more cowbell :tomatoface: