The MAGFest 6 Topic (omgz)

Geoffrey Taucer

Bump, because I thought of something.

I have spoken to a couple of people informally, asking if we could sit down face to face to discuss remixing. I think that with in-person guidance I could really start to make some headway. The couple of people have agreed, which is good, but I was wondering if we couldn't make this an official event. I can't be the only person who wants to mix but doesn't know how to really get started when confronting a massive and complicated program. It would be more illuminating than the panel, especially since I think everyone who goes to MAGfest already has a pretty good idea of what OCRemix is and what they do. And for the lone straggler who doesn't, this session would probably serve the purpose just as well. I'm talking about something a bit more in depth than Virt's chiptune talk. I want the ins, outs, and back ins of mixing: levels, panning, sample quality, etc. I think the benefit of making this official is that we get more people involved: more tutors and tutees, and more fresh ideas getting passed around.

I think this would rock enough hizzy for all the fest.

omg how du i remix?!?

my only issue with one of these panels is that everyone uses something different, and whle it's cool to sit down one-on-one with someone and talk about it, it boils down to 'there is no set way to remix'. hence, you can't really have a session on how to do it...maybe some tips here and there, but not a whole session on it.

my only issue with one of these panels is that everyone uses something different, and whle it's cool to sit down one-on-one with someone and talk about it, it boils down to 'there is no set way to remix'. hence, you can't really have a session on how to do it...maybe some tips here and there, but not a whole session on it.

I agree. But in the same way there is no right way to make music in general. There are no rules.

Still I find it very interesting to know how other remixers work. It's like music theory to me. I do not do everything according to the rules stated in classical music theory, but I learn a lot from seeing how others did. Aspiring remixers might learn something or not. The point is not learning HOW to remix, but getting some tips on how others are doing it.

I'm kinda repeating myself O.o anyway, that's what I think. it's not HOW to remix, it's how OTHERS remix.

okay, leaving the remix-panel thing.

Awesome remixer AeroZ happens to be Swedish and we may travel together. Noow.. How does this hotel room splittin' thing works?

I know avaris, prophet and OA promised me some floor space (hah, I bet only avaris knew that). If we need to book our own room (or AeroZ sleeping with somebody else), how's that payment thing working out? what are the prices?

You can try to work it out with somebody beforehand, but honestly if you just show up, somebody will be willing to let you stay in their room as long as you're willing to cover a cut of the cost.

Awwww. the kindness of strangers :D

OMGZ WHAT!?!?!

Oh wait, he told us. We're cool.

I think it's $100 a night. I'm going to be reserving our room this weekend so I'll have exact info then.

Great :) I'll talk to you later then!

Man. Now I'm psyched, and to think I was about to not go ;P

The only thing on Sunday after check out is lunch. if want to stay for that then get an evening flight home, if you don't care about that then get an afternoon flight.

I wouldn't stay until the 7th unless you have people to hang out with until then or you can't get a flight until then, otherwise it'll be quite boring by yourself after everyone leaves.