WIP: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - IceCap Zone "Mechanical Icicles"

DJ-Arthur

Hey all!

It's been a while since I worked on something, due to a nice vacation with the misses and kids :wink:, but anyways... Here's something that has been on my mind for an extended period now... A more or less industrial/chill-out mix of the Icecap Zone. Please note that another instrument is to be added to break the track up somewhere, but I'm having a hard time deciding which and where exactly... I'm thinking something like a flute, or maybe an indian guitar (Sitar, perhaps?) Suggestions?

This is the link:

Sonic3 - Mechanical Icicles (WIP V1 128kbs MP3)

Enjoy!

Ahhhh man, the intro reminds me of Mining Melancholy from DKC2, or Nuts and Bolts from DKC3. I've been listening to those soundtracks way too much. I may be slightly biased as a result.

But dang, you've come a loong way since your Tetris mix of yore. (Still have that in my head... Dum dum da dum dum da dum dum...) This mix sounds very crunchy, which in my opinion adds to the industrialness of it. Which is probably what you were going for.

Not much to say other than that. Great job, keep it up. You may want the opinion of someone who's not biased towards Mining Melancholy-esque percussion, though. :P

The transition from the heavy beat to the synths at the beginning was too abrupt. The beat just died when the synths came in. It seems to do that throughout, with no real transition to speak of.

The main issue with this right now is that everything sounds so far away. Having elements of the mix far off is great, but there needs to be something closer as well, otherwise it just sounds weak.

Arrangementwise, it is too conservative. Ice Cap is a hugely mixed song, and in order for it to even be considered, it has to be something really really special. You have some beginning arrangement ideas, but they are all a little too in the background, as counterpoint ideas. You'll need some more melodic interpretation to push this to the next level. An additional section that progresses the song and brings it to a new area, rather than merely treading water and maintaining.

So; get some stuff in the forefront a bit more, and expand on the arrangement. you've got a good start, now to kick it up a notch.

My suggestion is to add a more consistant