OCR00808 - Adventures of Bayou Billy "Trippin' on Alligators"

Disco Dan

Mazedude: This is probably my favorite one of your pieces so far. Really fun, funky and done with instrumentation that's good enough that I don't have to grit my teeth or make excuses (unfortunately often the case with mixes that are otherwise "fun.) Good stuff, real groovy.

4 Stars

Per's OCR Star System:

5-One of my favorites.

4- I'll listen to it a fair amount but it lacks that extra "something" to be great.

3- Above average but not enough so to get much playtime in my list.

2- Average

1- Lacking

I like its different quality. It kinda reminded me of his Blaster Master remix in a way. I like that kinda stuff sometimes though. My only real gripe would be as I noted in the WIP forum (even though at that moment it was already submitted and not even a WIP anymore) that fade out was just kind of abrupt and could've probably either been extended more, or just ended on a note instead of any fade at all. Ah well.

I honestly don't like this remix at all... It barely sounds anything like the original version, for one. For another, it doesn't sound like Maze used all four channels(Konami did their normal "play a note so quick it sounds like two separate notes" thing in BGM A) of the musical score. I do like how it progress into that whole Reggaeish theme(or...something) around 2:49, though.

All and all, I'd give this remix a D+. Nice effort, but it just doesn't appeal to me, me being the lover of the FamiCom sound chip, and Mad City, that I am.

Yeah, D+ for DAMN GOOD PLUS!

Intense variety. Massively funky. Vibrantly loud (the factor determining personal liking, most likely).

You just gotta look past the fact it might hurt your eardrums and you're set! Well, I haven't heard the original. I'm going to do that now....

Ah, well, could only find them on vgmusic.com, but from them I can tell this mix is definitely original. This was made in ModPlug? whooeey.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Lots of synth stuff in the first half, and lots of funk in the second after it slows down (but with a lot of the same instruments). It's a bit quick on fading away, though.

Dunno how this compares to the original, but if you like other songs by Mazedude, you'd probably like this one as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, here it is, a few months from two years later, from when I first listened to this Mad City remix. That much time has passed, and I just recently recovered this file. However, I can honestly say I still don't like it all that much. The pitch is just to high on the main melodies, for one. For another, as previously stated, it doesn't sound like Mazedude made use of all the notes that were given in the original score. Though very high, I still do enjoy the shift to the Reggaeish funk around 2:47.75. That's a fun part of the song.

Overall, I still rank this around a 5.5 out of 10, because it's just kind of out there. . . Too much "Mix," not enough "Re", as I've said about one or two other songs in my stay here. And yes, I realize this file's old, but I felt compelled to give another overview of it, almost two years later.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is very Mazedude sounding, but not very Mazedude feeling. It has the Mazedude beat and synths going, but it's missing the vibe and power that other Mazedude songs are popular for. It needs a more pumped up bass, I think.

• 2 months later...
]This is very Mazedude sounding, but not very Mazedude feeling. It has the Mazedude beat and synths going, but it's missing the vibe and power that other Mazedude songs are popular for. It needs a more pumped up bass, I think.

Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Not exactly one of my favourite Mazedudes. The ending I'd say needed something more. The muted trumpet (probably wrong about that) in the latter half was cool though.

• 2 weeks later...

Mazedude´s mixes are always defined with weird things. Between his works, the most interesting point is the crazy percussion. He´s able to abuse of that with high and low notes, proper creation of sounds and some panning. The instrumentation is equally very unique and creative. As far, this mix is only an example of how he is so good. Excellent.

• 1 month later...

There's just something that hits me right about Mazedude's tracks. Trippin' On Rainbows is quite possibly my favorite OC track period, and this one hits me in the exact same place... Love the leads, love the bass, love all the weird shit happening everywhere else, I just love the song. Good stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

anyone notice this track sounds a LOT like a song from WarioWare on the Wii? i don't know what the original track from Bayou Billy sounds like though so i can't compare it with that.

EDIT: sorry i guess this is a review thread not a discussion thread now that i think of it

yeah this song is definitly good, but hard to call great, because the main thing i noticed was that it sounds almost exactly like a song i really liked from warioware on the wii.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

some of the transitions were a bit wonky, but this is some classy stuff. The quirkyness is obviously turning a few o fyou off, but at least you can recognize the quality.

Personally I think this track is the bomb, and even though some sections sound a bit spastic with the samples used (second theme melody specifically), it's solid and cohesive. Nice slowdown and then the super strut groove for the closer. I always dig the craziness mazedude can kick out, and though some tracks grab me more than others, this is some distinctly classy stuff.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00808 - Adventures of Bayou Billy "Trippin' on Alligators"