Final Fantasy 6: Devils Lab 'It's Alive!' (Pendulum Style)

ellywu2

Pendulum eh? Try me...

0:00 - chiptune intro...definately not Pendulum....nor SNES, but whatever, I'll roll with it

0:22 - I love the synth but turn off the LFO and just switch to plain automation on it, its a fat sounding synth and the LFO is just detracting from it

0:34 - Drums are coming in, the fading in and out of elements is a bit annoying, I wish something a bit more consistant would be added to the mix

0:45 - Not bad, definitely got that Pendulum style. The drums need to slam more though, especialy the kick. I haven't been studying them nearly as much as other people but a lot of times it seems like they have their drums limited at the 0dB mark. You also need some kind of bass stab or something, maybe a distorted 808 kick layered with something else, not quite sure but something along those lines. Aside from that though, I'd say you got a good thing going, very Pendulum-sounding.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah the drums need a bit more oomph, maybe some limiting i dunno. The chip intros sort of a place holder until i can figure out how to make a grungry synth lead intro ala 'painkiller.' The LFO on that synth is because its the bass synth, just filtered. Don't want to bring it fully in til the beat drops.

More updates to follow soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda second what Zircon says. Make it heavier, more bass.

Also, that songs at that version seems to be too short. Maybe like Pendulum's Slam, you could do a keychange of the melody closer to the end and give in a whole new part. Likewise, have the breakdown stretch out longer.

Hot shtuff yo. I've had this up all day long playin it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is hot stuff. I'm digging the chiptune intro, since it is something you absolutely would not expect in a dnb remix. The "Are you ready" sample works for me, but I'd rather have him roll that r even more.

The string section, together with the voice sample, is really reminiscent of Slam's beginning, btw.

Great stuff from 3:05 on; digging the breaks, and the little pause at 3:15 just adds to the badassness.

The outro is kinda lame, though. It's very fast, and it just doesn't have the oomph it needs.

I was just passing through and saw another ellywu2 original and knew I was in for a treat, but holy @#$! monkeys! This is not the remixer I remember, this is amazing.

I love the square wave sound throughout, way to meld it all together. Everything sits great in the mix.

Not a big fan of VO's in mixes (1:57), but it is kinda your signature, sounds ok.

Punchy kick ass beats, love it. Can't wait to see this one on the site, for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been a longtime fan of your stuff since hearing that Metroid Prime mix, and this also gets the thumbs up for me. While not totally reminiscent of Pendulum in most parts it's definitely 100% dancefloor filling jump-up material.

Where's that slayer smiley when you need it? Oh, right

headbang2.gifheadbang2.gifheadbang2.gif

How strange not to have heard bad critics out of this, this kind of stuff usually gets a LOT of nasty and discouraging comments by nerd-assed-people.

I really like this, and the "agressive" feel to it.

(in my parallel universe those synths would've been electric guitars LOL)

Anyways, good work, mate!.

So , the best of luck on the submission.