Remixes done only/mostly with Reason?

Knives

I've tried looking at a number of different member profiles and remix descriptions and a bunch of stuff like that, but I simply cannot find any indication of Reason being used in the production or remixing of any OC remix. I was wondering if anyone knew of any remix on this site that solely, or mostly, used Reason for the production the whole song (besides remixes by ParagonX9). I wanna take a look at these simply to see the program's capabilities, since I noticed that OCR's quality standards are quite high, I figured I'd hear some cool stuff :D

Sephfire, Tweek, SGX, Protricity (from his FFV mix and on), Malcos, Red Tailed Fox, Quinn Fox, Aluminum, GaMeBoX, Siamey (DKC2 mix), FFMusic DJ, blind (some of his earlier stuff, don't know which songs exactly), Daniel Baranowsky (some of his mixes were done in reason don't know how many exactly)

There are def more that I don't know of.

EDIT: ambient, Sir_Nuts, Another Soundscape, Destructo, Fatty Acid, Freemind, Graylighting (don't know how many of his mixes were done in Reason though)

Alright then! I've listened to at least a few remixes by every artist you guys have given me, and... I don't know. At first it seemed to me that remixes done by other programs simply had a certain level of refinement and clarity that Reason couldn't reach. They sounded more edgy, more cool. Some of the synth sounds and orchestral samples from Reason remixes seemed kinda flat, or dull to me. Like they didn't have that "wow" factor, or perhaps weren't processed enough through mastering tools. I'm not suuuure, but what I have in mind of an ideal mix would be something along the lines of zircon's chrono trigger remixes or even the "Back 2 Skala" remix, the collaborative effort by Ambient and Skrypnyk, or you could say the fusion of Reason and FL. I don't know whether the final "Back 2 Skala" got mixed and mastered in FL or Reason, but it's just so shiny clean that it's spotless. The opening strings are very whole and "fulfilling," none of the instruments interfered with each other, the drums are crisp and upfront, everything just has a distinct presence in the mix which is why it sounds so freakin nice. Now that's the kind of sound quality I want! So I was just wondering if Reason is capable of delivering this kind of quality. But like I said, I don't know, maybe I'm just being picky or have bad ears or something...

*spaced out surfie voice*

Whoa dude....

first up... you speak like, way too fast....

second, chill up man! Like, musics meant to be fun right? Yehh...

and lastly man.... its spiritual... its music. i mean, am I right or what? You can get whatever you want from whatever you have, you just have to know how to MAKE IT HAPPEN. Yeh? You know who told me that??... the waves, man... the waves...

***IN THE REAL WORLD***

Reason can make your music sound good, you just have to know what your doing. It doesnt have VST support, meaning that you cant incorporate every synth/effect with a gimic into your setup, you have to actually understand what your doing and how your doing it.

If you want full rich strings, you'l need: good samples + EQ + reverb + panning + chorus/phasing on a send + a song that has sounds that compliment the strings + good mastering. You can do that in most DAWs, however in Reason you dont have a free downloadable VST called 'Shiney Strings 101v3' that'l apply that chain with a bunch of presets.

In short: yes you can make crisp clear things in Reason (you obviously havnt heard enough of Malcos's stuff - www.malcos.co.uk - check out his albums)

:dstrbd: dude!

Completely agree with V___ about the surfing...and other stuff. It really comes down to mastering and picking sounds that work together. That all comes with time.

Check out SGX's mix 'Peripatetic' here: http://www.sgxmusic.com/music.htm

It was done entirely in Reason. 'Me Semper Maneas' was too. 'Contradistinction' was done with only stuff from Reason 2.0.

If you love Reason but want some better sampled sounds check out Sonic Reality. Miroslav Orchestra has some pretty good sounding stuff.

All of the instrumentation for 'Back 2 Skala' was done in Reason. The percussion and mastering were done in FL. Oh yeah ambient uses Reason too.

So I guess that means I'm picky AND I have bad ears, huh? Haha, well anyway, I was aware Reason doesn't provide VST support, I've got a shortcut to it on my desktop right here. As for more of the links, thanks, SGX's stuff did sound pretty nice. I never really liked the orkester sample bank too much, but Garritan finally released their GPO refill for Reason (wooo!) so that makes up for it in a way. I suppose I had nitpicked on some things about the program... but yeh, it's just nitpicking. All in all it seems just to come down to "you'll sound good if you know what you're doing." Too bad I don't know anything, so I better get down to learning 'cause I'd like to submit a pokemon remix to OCR sometime in the future. Can you guess what program I'll be using? I'll give you a hint, it's the only one I have, haha. But I don't want to come off as if I loathe Reason or anything, I really do like a lot of things about the program as well.

For the record, I use FL for all my stuff. My earlier mixes used mostly free synths, samples, and soundfonts... now I mostly use VSTs and sample CDs. Just thought I'd throw that out there since you mentioned me.

Comin' here and bashing Reason eh? promoting FL and VSTs eh?

GET LOST LOOSER!

PS: I love you and I love plugins too :)

I just noticed how terribly inactive this forum is, and that's too bad. Aside from that, I've checked out some tutorials on SGX's site and looked at the reason "competition" rns files. I gotta say wow, you guys sure know how to use some stuff in interesting ways. Modulating strings with a break beat? Automating the rv7000 with the piano roll in the sequencer? Reason may not have VST support, but you can still do some pretty nifty stuff with it if you're creative and use your head. So I've been reading Reason tutorials here and there, and I'd ask for book recommendations but since R4 is just around the corner I'll wait for a good book for it to come out.

Anyways, REVIVE THE REASON COMPETITION THREAD! That thing's been dead for more than a month now but it looked like lots of fun, the songs turned out great and it was a good learning aid for me, as well as others I believe. It seems you guys unintentionally sabotaged that thing by submitting overly complicated source files for round 2. No need to try to like, crazily impress anyone here, just submit something more simple, or that's more easy to work with, it's for fun, remember?

"it is fun indeed. but we all have other things to do."

No kidding, looking around it seems like everyone is working on some official site project or another, and Malcos is busy judging stuff as well. I think it'd work if someone just decided to post up an rns and called it round three, the contest rules have been well established enough not to need Malcos to supervise it or anything. From there if anyone's interested in extending or remixing the rns then they'd do so, and BAM! There you have the successful completion of round three... but from the looks of things, the only person that would submit a source file at this rate would be me... and the only remixer that would participate in that round would be... me again, haha. I think I'd rather go off and do other music related stuffs instead of having a contest with myself, but I'll an eye on it if anything happens.

No kidding, looking around it seems like everyone is working on some official site project or another, and Malcos is busy judging stuff as well. I think it'd work if someone just decided to post up an rns and called it round three, the contest rules have been well established enough not to need Malcos to supervise it or anything. From there if anyone's interested in extending or remixing the rns then they'd do so, and BAM! There you have the successful completion of round three... but from the looks of things, the only person that would submit a source file at this rate would be me... and the only remixer that would participate in that round would be... me again, haha. I think I'd rather go off and do other music related stuffs instead of having a contest with myself, but I'll an eye on it if anything happens.

yeah you could probably start remixing ? :D

I do use Reason for all my songs, reason plus samples cds and refills. Used FL for years, but I find reason to be better for me.

The quality of your music doesn't relies much on the program you may use but on your skills, talent and knowledge.

Hey Michael, Any news on a new Sir_NutS refill? I've been using your patches in all of my remixes atm (except the first for the ff7 project, I had just gotten reason then), that's 1 on the ff7 project, one to be posted, and one soon submitted ;)

yeah you could probably start remixing ? :D

I've been working on a remix of Trainer Battle Theme from Pokemon Red... but it's not sounding too good right now... and I've got a great new idea for it that'll require me starting all over anyway. Get this, do it BRUCE FAULCONER STYLE! I'm specifically referring to the music he composed and produced in the English dub of the animes Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT. I greatly admire his music.

The quality of your music doesn't relies much on the program you may use but on your skills, talent and knowledge.

Which is why I still have a long way to go ;_;

Oh and, I'm really looking forward to hearing your remixes AS, once they're posted on the site that is :D