Remixes done only/mostly with Reason?

Knives

Hey, zircon! It's great that you saw this since I was meaning to ask you were you got the orchestral samples that you used for your chrono trigger remixes. Everything from the strings to piano to maracas, what was that?

Calamitous Judgment and When All Hope Has Faded simply use free soundfonts available all around the internet. Percussion came from free soundfonts and SampleFusion, a website that you get access to if you buy FL (there are both free and commercial samples there; I used free ones).

Subterranean Opus used Kontakt 2's VSL Orchestra (comes with K2), QLSO Gold, and to a lesser extent Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Calamitous Judgment and When All Hope Has Faded simply use free soundfonts available all around the internet.

Subterranean Opus used Kontakt 2's VSL Orchestra (comes with K2), QLSO Gold, and to a lesser extent Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Well you sure now how to make free soundfonts sound good, that's for sure. I've never heard of Kontakt's VSL Orchestra, and from what I heard about East West products was that they were great (but expensive =/). Garritan seems to be fairly good as well... but I guess that's all irreverent to me since they're VSTs and I'm using Reason. Garritan DID recently release a GPO refill for Reason, but it's only USD80, while the GPO VST is like USD200 and I can't seem to find any reason why... which is making me think the GPO refill is just a dumbed down, light version of the GPO VST... I guess I'll have to do more of my own research, and thanks for replying.

lol, the hype is contagious, you guys are getting me excited about getting R4 (but I still want the multi-core support! *glares at Reason's project manager and developers*)

Hey Michael, Any news on a new Sir_NutS refill? I've been using your patches in all of my remixes atm (except the first for the ff7 project, I had just gotten reason then), that's 1 on the ff7 project, one to be posted, and one soon submitted ;)

Soon, I've been doing new patches (which some I've shared with friends like Nicole Adams) but I want to have a solid amount of new stuff to make a new refill. I've learned new stuff from Peff's book and I've been doing more varied type of patches, so there won't be a trancefest in the next one heh.

Glad you've enjoyed the first ones though.

Soon, I've been doing new patches (which some I've shared with friends like Nicole Adams) but I want to have a solid amount of new stuff to make a new refill. I've learned new stuff from Peff's book and I've been doing more varied type of patches, so there won't be a trancefest in the next one heh.

Glad you've enjoyed the first ones though.

Glad to hear you have new material :)

and yeah some of the cookicutter trance synths (EuroSynth!!!) is really fitting great into the mix with my personal sounds, it's a blessing

• 1 month later...

Every single piece of music I've created was made in Reason. However, I have yet to post any to OCR.

It's mostly avant-garde compositions with heavy rearrangement and loose interpretation, so it most likely won't be well recieved, whether or not it is a good representative of the genre. It's really not represented here as a legitimate form of music.

I don't know what you're talking about, Back 2 Skala was posted up just recently and it uses experimental style drums. Unless you're one of those over-the-top experimental artists then yea, it may be difficult to get on OCR when your music is arguably just "noise."

I really like experimental/glitch/stutter stuff as long as it's used tastfully, and I'm currently learning how to do it myself, maybe if you're good then you can show me a thing or two about it in Reason since we both use it :D

Calamitous Judgment and When All Hope Has Faded simply use free soundfonts available all around the internet. Percussion came from free soundfonts and SampleFusion, a website that you get access to if you buy FL (there are both free and commercial samples there; I used free ones).

Free samples/soundfonts ftw :D

BTW Zircon, are those CD's from sampefusion that you have to buy, worth getting?

• 2 weeks later...
Free samples/soundfonts ftw :D

BTW Zircon, are those CD's from sampefusion that you have to buy, worth getting?

No offense dude, but before you start dishing out cash for sample CD's, I'd first make sure your production skills are up to a satisfying level, otherwise the samples you've paid hard cash for will still sound like shit, just saying. =P

See, what kind of bothers me is that most people don't realize Reason is more of a workhorse program than anything. It does basically whatever you need as a backup to any higher quality samples used on other sequencers. Reason started out trying to be the only sequencer you needed to make what everyone else could produce at the time. The fact of the matter is though; they haven't upgraded their core soundmodules since 2.0 (i think) and instead developed ReWire. That's when they changed from all-in-one workstation to ultra-efficient workhorse ReWire program.

99% of what is coming out nowadays has a much higher quality sound module than what Reason's synths and FX can achieve. Does that worry propellerheads? Of course not. They can achieve a moderately high-quality soundstation for the same amount of CPU cycles that a single synthesizer of a slightly higher quality can. I think its just that their marketing is trying to tell people that it is the only program you need to make music; which, you really can do, and very well if you have the knowledge.

Sorry to come off as a snob or something, but Reason isn't meant to make the cutting edge end-all songs that everyone seems to think it should, even with Reason 4.0. Don't get me wrong, i love Reason, but a program that prides itself on being ultra-efficient doesn't need to worry about the highest end sounds, that's why you ReWire it into another program that can add it's extra layer of sheen to what Reason produces.

See, what kind of bothers me is that most people don't realize Reason is more of a workhorse program than anything. It does basically whatever you need as a backup to any higher quality samples used on other sequencers. Reason started out trying to be the only sequencer you needed to make what everyone else could produce at the time. The fact of the matter is though; they haven't upgraded their core soundmodules since 2.0 (i think) and instead developed ReWire. That's when they changed from all-in-one workstation to ultra-efficient workhorse ReWire program.

99% of what is coming out nowadays has a much higher quality sound module than what Reason's synths and FX can achieve. Does that worry propellerheads? Of course not. They can achieve a moderately high-quality soundstation for the same amount of CPU cycles that a single synthesizer of a slightly higher quality can. I think its just that their marketing is trying to tell people that it is the only program you need to make music; which, you really can do, and very well if you have the knowledge.

Sorry to come off as a snob or something, but Reason isn't meant to make the cutting edge end-all songs that everyone seems to think it should, even with Reason 4.0. Don't get me wrong, i love Reason, but a program that prides itself on being ultra-efficient doesn't need to worry about the highest end sounds, that's why you ReWire it into another program that can add it's extra layer of sheen to what Reason produces.

I like how many says this, no matter the level of experience they have. It's becoming something that makes you sound like you know much. The fun thing is, not many can tell that something's from Reason if they didn't knew it before, at least if it's well done.

Also, I think people sometime will have to realize they're silly. The sound that can be produced inside of Reason only sounds "low quality" to people used with the sounds of specific expensive synths. It's not because those are better, it's just a sound that the modern music scene has gotten used to.

If we all just realized that everything that sounds good is good, we'd be a lot happier. Now everyone is going on and on about perfect-analog-clones and "warm" sounds. I can't believe we base our opinions about software, hardware and electronic music on the sounds created by old machines that sounded special because their limitations and circuitry.

Electronic music is becoming as snobbish as classical music. If you do anything new with an Orchestra, they'll laugh at you. All instruments that ain't from the classical era are bullshit. And electronics sucks and can never be as good as the masters of the past!

jeez, can't people just make good music and stop caring about what the masses think about something instead? :D

okay, enough ranting. What did you want to say with this Hy Bound? now you got me all wound up ;P

oh btw, gratz on the praise you got on the VotL special of In to the Score. You def deserved it!

http://www.intothescore.com/

Yea, that's what bothers me. I value clarity and pristiness very highly and I see a lot of other sequencers that can deliver but Reason always sounded a bit "fuzzy" or more "lo-fi" to me. I had a guy make a small beat for me in FL5, opened the .wav of the beat in R4's NN-19 and exported the loop. Did absolutely nothing else, and the sound quality difference between the original from FL5 and the re-exported verison from R4 was pretty much outrageous. I basically started this thread to seek some kind of confirmation or disapproval of my findings, and so far it doesn't seem like I've gotten much of either... so I'm still stuck at "Reason's sound modules suck."

EDIT: Anso made some good points, but it doesn't make me any less disappointed by Reason's audio-export-thingie-mah-jiggers.

Yea, that's what bothers me. I value clarity and pristiness very highly and I see a lot of other sequencers that can deliver but Reason always sounded a bit "fuzzy" or more "lo-fi" to me. I had a guy make a small beat for me in FL5, opened the .wav of the beat in R4's NN-19 and exported the loop. Did absolutely nothing else, and the sound quality difference between the original from FL5 and the re-exported verison from R4 was pretty much outrageous. I basically started this thread to seek some kind of confirmation or disapproval of my findings, and so far it doesn't seem like I've gotten much of either... so I'm still suck at "Reason's sound modules suck."

fun fact: this is what makes vintage analog gear desireable. the way they color the sound. grow up people :) first you want perfect analog copies and then you want to listen to it in pristine, cold digital quality? :D

EDIT: thank you

oh btw, gratz on the praise you got on the VotL special of In to the Score. You def deserved it!

http://www.intothescore.com/

Wow, I didn't realize I was on there... cool! Thanks for the heads up.

However, I still stand by what I said; The point of the matter is... No matter what you want to believe, the synth architecture is not as high a quality sound as other recent synthesizing programs; this isn't to do with what it sounds like, it has to do with the output, its not a 64 bit transfer, like most other modern synths. The samples in the NN-XT are much more compressed in the ReFill format than .wav format. Like someone said that there is the Garritan strings ReFill... There's another version in a .wav format. The filesize in the ReFill pack is about 3/4 the size of the .wav pack. But it may just come down to your personal preference; from the songs I've heard from you, Reason seems very well-suited to your style and you use it very well (i especially like the Jenova melody synth you use in your fanfare remix). However, if you use Reason in the way that I make music; which tends to be more on the orchestral side with heavy manipulation on real instruments, Reason is very limited. There are only a few FX and the way the architecture is laid out, its impossible to get any new FX into it without another sequencer as a host.

I'm not saying that Reason only makes shitty songs or anything of the like. I agree with what you said that most people can't tell the difference between a Reason song and an FL song. However, saying that there isn't a boost in fidelity from Subtractor to Z3T4+ is just ignorant. The sound from subtractor may be what you personally enjoy, but unless you layer the shit out of those synths, you aren't going to come close to the fidelity of a newer edition synth. The phaser in Reason is also quite shitastic compared to something like Waves Metaphlanger phaser setting. Its output is a near mono signal... If you disagree, I would be more than happy to show you an example.

The point I'm trying to make, and was trying to make before, is that Reason is by no means a bad program, I use it in most of my arrangements pretty extensively. But if you're trying for some bleeding edge electronica track with sampled instruments, Reason is relatively limited in how you can go about creating incredibly rich sounds; you can do it, but it isn't going to hold up quite as well with something you use these $500 sample players for and such. However, if you're going for an electro-based tech-funk song, Reason will by all means fit every bill you will mostly likely try for. But Reason's real strength is in how it is used as a workhorse program; and propellerheads emphasizes this by not updating its architecture and instead tries to include ReWire into every other sequencer possible.

This isn't an attack on someone who uses Reason-only, but an opinion that you can get a much cleaner master even when Reason utilizes other program's architecture and features.

EDIT: I did not mean that the actual architecture of another program would change the source, but the different FX and features it has most certainly does.

EDIT 2: with regards to how older synths are sought after for their sound and how the modern music scene has just gotten used to the new synths: That's basically the same type of things found with mics... The older ones tend to color the sound so it will take away the sub-par response it would have had. Many people find the older mics to be much more suited to what they have heard. People who listen exclusively to old classic rock recordings don't like to use the new mics because they have an idea in their head as to what something should sound like. It doesn't matter to them that new mics sound much more clear and focused; they just don't sound like an old def leppard song they just listened to. The same can be said for different programs. When I listen to Hybrid songs, i tend to think that the Orkester library tends to sound much better when trying to achieve that sound as opposed to my EWQLSO library, which has a much better sound. However, if i listen to film scores, I can't even imagine using Orkester over EWQLSO.

So basically, listen to something that has the same type of sounds as a Reason track for a while, then go back to a song done in Reason and you will notice a big difference. For instance, I can tell which orchestral pieces are from Reason from BT's Stealth soundtrack and which aren't after messing around with some of Reason's orkester stuff. And again, that soundtrack is proof that Reason can output really good stuff. But you better believe that BT put that through a LOT of different FX (from other programs) to make it sound that good.

EDIT: Anso made some good points, but it doesn't make me any less disappointed by Reason's audio-export-thingie-mah-jiggers.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12274

I think there's your answer. Personally I can't tell the difference between a .WAV exported from Reason and a .WAV exported from FL with Reason ReWired into it (using the same settings of course), so I don't think there's an inherent lo-fi quality or anything like that to Reason's mixdown feature.