Happy Sega Day!

reelmojo

It's 9/9/07, and Sega Day is upon us! Eight years ago today Sega stole the traditional September 9th release date right out from under Sony's nose (PS1 came out on 9/9/95 and a big game came out on 9/9 each year after that). On 9/9/99, the Dreamcast was unleashed on America, a system that would give us some of our most beloved videogame memories, and would become the bookend to Sega's console hardware legacy. Who can forget the first time they ran away from that killer whale in Sonic Adventure, gazing in awe at the most amazing visuals they'd ever seen. Without the Dreamcast we may have never seen such amazing games across all genres like Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue. Without Sonic Team's Samba de Amigo taking rhythm games to the next level, would we be playing games like Guitar Hero today?

Are people who actually think of this day as "Sega Day" fanboys? Yes. But fuck that, this is our day. I'm gonna go play Sega Swirl.

Happy Sega Day!

I just realized that next year will be the 9th anniversary of 9/9/99. Coincidental numerical significance like that won't come back around for another 90 years. I'm calling off work and beating Shenmue start to finish in one day.

...well that's the plan anyway.

This year all I'm doing is wearing a Sega shirt to work.

8 years already? Seriously? I was only 11 when I got a Dreamcast that beloved christmas? wow. If only the Dreamcast had lived on.. maybe sonic wouldnt have become so... horrid...

Here's to the Sega Pheonix. May God have mercy on our souls and let us pray that Sega will one day return to the glory that it was and destroy sony and microsoft with a brand new console...

Or team up with nintendo and make a great console jointly to completely wipe the PS3's ten year plan on the floor. That, my fellow SEGA fans, would be an epic win.

Dear Sega and people who developed games for them: Thank you for Golden Axe series, Sonic series, a shitload of good RPGs, Ristar, Fantasy Zone series, Street of Rage series, and countless other games that are awesome.

Please make another Fantasy Zone game too, or at least release all of them on your old rival's virtual console.

Or team up with nintendo and make a great console jointly to completely wipe the PS3's ten year plan on the floor. That, my fellow SEGA fans, would be an epic win.

Do they need to team up at this point? ;)

To Sega,

Nintendo's greatest competitor. It really did what "Nintendon't." A true competitor that tried to stand out instead of fit in. A company that did create intense yet civil rivalries, and a company that completed the second half videogame market instead of trying to dominate the whole.

Sony, and Microsoft could learn a lot from you, Nintendo did. The Wii is the spiritual grandson of the Dreamcast, the console that stood out. Hopefully, you will return to the market someday, once the false idols have fallen, and you will take your rightful place, slightly behind, or slightly ahead depending on the weeks, of Nintendo.

To Sega, I shall rise my lukewarm cup of water to you.

A Nintendo Classic Fanboy

Do they need to team up at this point? ;)

To Sega,

Nintendo's greatest competitor. It really did what "Nintendon't." A true competitor that tried to stand out instead of fit in. A company that did create intense yet civil rivalries, and a company that completed the second half videogame market instead of trying to dominate the whole.

Sony, and Microsoft could learn a lot from you, Nintendo did. The Wii is the spiritual grandson of the Dreamcast, the console that stood out. Hopefully, you will return to the market someday, once the false idols have fallen, and you will take your rightful place, slightly behind, or slightly ahead depending on the weeks, of Nintendo.

To Sega, I shall rise my lukewarm cup of water to you.

A Nintendo Classic Fanboy

I was there during those days. I actually got into a fist fight in middle school over a Nintendo/Sega argument. But those days are gone, and Sonic and Mario are appearing in the same game. You have to bury the hatchet sometime, but they were Nintendo's greatest competitor and provided something that Ninty, Sony or Microsoft couldn't.