Should sephfire change his handle?

sephfire

In general, once one has established any sort of following, changing one's handle is not advised:

1. It's bad for searchability/recognizability/reachability through existing channels, especially online.
  2. It gives the impression that the artist feels something isn't working for them, and that the reason is their name, which can come off as naive/optimistic/self-conscious very easily, even if it's not.

That being said, if I for some reason started off as DJ CheeseButz McPHATBEATS LOL!!111, I could justify the change... but sephfire seems unique, memorable, and not intolerable, so I'd strongly recommend keeping it.

I feel ya, man, but at least you're still the first page of google results for sephfire.

I'm seriously considering changing my handle here as well, thanks to Naruto and Bleach. A few years ago, you could search for suzumebachi and the first 2-3 pages would all be my stuff. A few months ago, you could search for suzumebachi and the first 5 or so results would all be my stuff. Today you search for suzumebachi and the very first result is a wikipedia article on some obscure Bleach character.

:-x

Also, there's the whole, I'm not a weaboo thing. But like Dave pointed out, changing is bad for recognizability and searchability. And since you're still quite searchable, I'd think twice about changing it at this point. You can always use a different name for side projects and stuff.

A few months ago, you could search for suzumebachi and the first 5 or so results would all be my stuff. Today you search for suzumebachi and the very first result is a wikipedia article on some obscure Bleach character.

(pushes thick lens glasses up nose) Point of order: the Suzumebachi in Bleach is actually Soifon's zanpakutō, which is a sword, not a character.

You fail the interweeboos, sir.