CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 12: The Sinner's Choice

Abadoss

aimed for hell, could go to heaven, but it would come at a price. Does that help?

I feel like your description went in a circle and ended up at the same point it started. Thus I can say that I really still can't feel musical inspiration. Your description just doesn't have emotion or character that tells me what the music should express....sorry.

This is what I told members of the Young Composer's Forum: You have a lot of freedom in this. Your only limitation is believability. You have to be able to get your audience to buy into the concept, just by listening to your music (and maybe with a little help from reading the description).

You are to find the inspiration in yourself. The theme just gives you the context.

I say change the theme, and to be fair, get the original theme poster (last contest winner) to give us a more well-defined theme HOPEFULLY based on the original idea. Such as: Choosing exactly what the decision is.

For example, the original theme poster could say the theme is "a decision is made to go to hell to redeem sins." something like that. Now we don't have to be bogged down by making the decision in the music, now we just compose the decision made...

Okay, so it turns out there was actually one submission. He sent it to my Hotmail account (which blocks mail from anyone not on my contact list). I just received it on my Yahoo account this evening. So, here's the deal. One, I can extend the deadline a bit to let a few more people enter. A possibility would be to give this person one additional point for being the only one to enter on time. Two, just say the guy won and move on to round thirteen. Well?

As far as defining the theme more, I thought I had cleared it up a little, but maybe I can try again. Because of the way in which the sinner is living his life, he is headed for hell. If he cleans up his act, he will go to heaven. The process of cleaning up is difficult (imagine de-tox from a really additive drug). So, the choice becomes whether or not he's going to get off his ass and change his life around or be lazy and go to hell. Does that help?

Or just take into consideration that this theme was a bust. If you gave three weeks for people to make something for this theme and only ONE person submitted something, that says something about the theme.

Sorry if this offends the person who made the theme but you have to face the facts that not every theme works. I say we not consider the one entry the winner because there was no competition. Lets consider them the only person who made an entry and move on.

This is what I told members of the Young Composer's Forum: You have a lot of freedom in this. Your only limitation is believability. You have to be able to get your audience to buy into the concept, just by listening to your music (and maybe with a little help from reading the description).

You are to find the inspiration in yourself. The theme just gives you the context.

I'm a noob at making music and even I could think of something ^^

Okay. So the plans have changed. I was originally going to just cut the losses and move on to the next round. Turns out, there's now a second submission. So, we'll move forward with the voting round as soon as I receive a description for the piece. Expect to listen to the pieces and vote by the weekend.

That is the description I sent you :P, if you want I could change it up.