Free sampler w/ 2GB library

tgfoo

Yellow Tools is giving away a free version of it's Independence sample with 2 GB of sounds.

http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=399&shownews=527

Normally Independence requires a dongle, but the free version doesn't require it, however you do need to download and install Yellow Tools key manager for it to run which you can find here:

http://wibu.com/download_user.php?lang=en

The sounds in the library are pretty decent to, especially considering that they are free.

Had some trouble accessing the site (too many greedy downloaders like me?), but managed to get it downloaded. The stand-alone program doesn't seem to recognize WDM drivers, but I found ASIO drivers for my laptop's integrated soundcard (http://www.asio4all.com/), so now it works, and all my other audio software has the benefit of ASIO, too. So even if the sounds turn out to be garbage, it was worth the download just for that.

Also, the Windows version doesn't need the software key.

Coolness.

Yeah, the website's a bit weird. There was some other messageboard I ran across where people were having trouble, too, and their conclusion was that the site was overloaded with traffic because Yellow Tools isn't using any kind of mirror to host their 2 gig download.

I finally got the site to work (albeit very slowly) at around 3:30 in the morning (EST), and the download itself seemed to run at full speed.

EDIT: Also, for whatever it's worth, the site began working with IE before it stared working for Firefox.

• 1 month later...

Just got them a few days ago and I think they are really nice. I wish there were more instruments but I'm just being greedy I guess.

Drumkits:

Acoustic - The kits are a good replacement for many of the free ones out there, but aren't nearly as expressive or interesting as say the free NS7 kit. Definitely usable though.

Electric - meh. nothing special.

Guitars:

Classical - I love it, and I'm a guitar player! It's fairly expressive and cleanly recorded with a nice rich tone. There are a decent number of velocity layers, although they don't vary very much. I really wanted that characteristic buzzing that nylon strings give with plucked very hard. I have it on a free soundfont I picked up once, and I would have expected it here. Instead, the highest velocity layer gives a 3-4 semitone slide, which is actually pretty nice to have.

Electric - Haven't played with it much, but it seems decent if you want to get a jug jigga jug jigga JAH JAH!!! Its also got some nice pinch harmonics, which are always cool.

Electric Bass - A keyswitched 4-string tuned to E (no sampled low D!). Got some nice fret noise, slides, and various other bass one shots, but I haven't found it very fun to play with. Good sound though.

Acoustic Bass - Plain. Very Plain. Don't see myself using this often.

Keys:

E. Piano - Classic sound with nice velocity layers that smoothly transition between a soft and very bright tone. Its got that DX7 sound that you've heard so many times before. I like it though.

Organ - OK pipe organ that might find some uses here and there. Not much of an organ connoisseur so I can't say how it stacks up against others.

Synths: - There are a bunch of choices, each one more terrible than the last.

Percussion:

Lots of really nice samples, including a pretty extensive sampling of an udu. Unfortunately, all of the samples of hitting the smaller high-pitched hole have a simultaneous shaker sound that limits its use, imo. The cajon is cool too; I'll probably be using that a lot. Other percussion highlights are the bamboo and tambourine. No Djembe :-( There are also a few preset loops for the percussive instruments and drumkits that might be helpful if, for example, you don't know how a cajon is typically played. Some are actually kinda groovtastic.

I haven't explored the sampler itself much, but it looks very customizable in terms of being able to layer the sounds, adjust the velocity layer switching and quickly edit individual samples. It comes with a variety of standard FX and a few special ones like cabinet sims for the electric guitars, and Oragami LE, their reverb module. I have no idea why it sounds so nice, but it does. Much richer than the bundled reverb in Sonar 6 (Cakewalk or Sonitus).

• 3 months later...