Sign in to follow this  
Shadow Wolf

Is sorting of OC ReMixes in iTunes screwed over for anyone else?

MODS: PLEASE leave this in Community. This is more a discussion than a help request, and I personally feel it should be left somewhere where people can hash it out. If it goes to Help and Newbies, it might as well disappear.

Alright, so I've been wondering since iTunes 7.3 came out why in the world my playlists became such an out of order whackjob. Turns out the issue is this: iTunes used to look at the first letter, number, or symbol of an MP3 tag, and sort them in that order. Symbols first, then numbers, then letters.

With the iTunes 7.3 update, MP3's are now sorted 'movie store style', meaning leading characters like a, an, and the are now ignored. So, using "The Calling" from DJ Redlight, what happens is this:

Before iTunes 7.3, "The Calling" was in the T section of my OC Remix playlist. NOW iTunes sees it as "Calling, The" and puts it in the C section.

Not only that, leading numbers and symbols are ignored, so files with those in the name could end up ANYWHERE in your playlist depending on the first LETTER iTunes finds in the name.

Besides the fact that I think that's retarded anyways, here's the biggest issue: I retag all my OC remixes so the name of the song is the only thing in the title field. The game the remix came from is the album, the remixer is the artist, and I GROUP all the songs under OC Remix. Before anybody says anything, I know site rules don't allow me to redistribute them that way, they're only for personal use. At any rate, because of the way I tag, I have 650 OC remixes, from a huge number of albums. It also turns out that even though I've retagged all my MP3's iTunes actually 'remembers' what they used to be called. For instance, 'Visions of Kin' ends up in the W section of my playlist. Why? I changed the Name field to say 'Visions of Kin,' and it does, but iTunes still sees it as 'Wild Arms Visions of Kin OC Remix.' So it goes in the W section.

That's just my remixes. Let alone the other 3400 songs. Has anyone found a better workaround for this than downgrading iTunes to 7.2? All they need to do is give me ONE CHECKBOX to turn that advanced sorting shit OFF, because I have my music pristinely tagged and sorted all by myself and I don't need them screwing it up for me, thank you. Discuss. Has anyone else encountered this?

still remember the old name? maybe not. idv tag are idv tag 1.0 and 2.0 did you change both? Maybe itune check the name of the files too?

just throwing my 2 cents i don't have itunes.

I have iTunes and haven't noticed anything. But I haven't really played with my playlist since I updated to 7.3. I'll see if it did it to me when I get home tonight.

Edit: My are in the same order. But I organize my files by album. I hope this helps a little.