Logic 8

XSKey-free operation

A simple serial number replaces the USB dongle and lets you make music without the hassle of extraneous hardware.

Sweet. Let's see if Steinberg follows that example for Cubase 5 (Or even 4.1... yeah right). They're finally realizing these keys do nothing for product security, and are only an inconvenience to paying customers when they inexplicably stop working.

Yes, let's. The mere fact that it needs external hardware even to play takes it down in my book.

Sure, it's annoying, but when you create a piece of software that has been the industry standard for years and years, it means you've created an amazing/innovative product and there is no argument about it.

Not to mention that Pro Tools M-Powered is so affordable these days, it's almost ridiculous.

However, because the TREMENDOUS drop in the Logic price, DigiDesign may have just soiled themselves.

What you've said about it being the industry standard is true, but I think it's becoming less so. There are more and more powerful and effective DAWs crowding the market. The studio I interned at was all about Logic, while another one I heard about used MOTU Digital Performer.

I will never use Pro Tools because I can't see what distinct advantage it has over Sonar, Nuendo, or any other such program. When I took my Music Recording & Editing class problems with the M-box ran rampant. I also use a laptop, so hardware minimization is a concern. Just because Pro Tools has been the industry standard doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.

What you've said about it being the industry standard is true, but I think it's becoming less so. There are more and more powerful and effective DAWs crowding the market. The studio I interned at was all about Logic, while another one I heard about used MOTU Digital Performer.

I will never use Pro Tools because I can't see what distinct advantage it has over Sonar, Nuendo, or any other such program. When I took my Music Recording & Editing class problems with the M-box ran rampant. I also use a laptop, so hardware minimization is a concern. Just because Pro Tools has been the industry standard doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.

No argument, Pro Tools has many many faults.

And while the LE systems maybe shotty at best, I can think of no better outboard hardware than the HD and TDM systems. Completely revolutionary. However, with sudios becoming more of a novelty rather than necesity, these systems are far too overpriced for the hobbyist musician or even a home studio user.

Yes, while ProTools has its limitations (I'm an Ableton Live man myself) and I agree that it's popularity is decreasing and will continue to do so over time, it still remains the most popular and widely used piece of software. For those of us in the business or working our way towards it "forgetting" ProTools would be an unwise decision.

However, with Logic dropping in price, and it's rise in popularity, I can only hope that it continues to grow.

Very, very attractive deal... of course, that pretty well sums up most of everything Apple is doing these days: regardless of the content, they can make everything attractive.

I've become comfortable with the Logic work flow and have been wanting the Pro version software instruments for a while now. I suppose I'll be picking this up at the end of this year, and hopefully the new MacBooks will be out by then.

Just to let you current Logic users who haven't upgraded to 8 yet, the interface has a VERY different feel too it. I like the single window interface (very Final Cut like) but it's weird using it with Logic. Mainly what I'm loving about this from my limited use with it is audio and midi "take" recording, audio comping, and the ability to add multi-timbral, multi output instruments with a few mouse clicks instead of having to spend a couple minutes in the environment to set one up (thankfully, they didn't get rid of the environment though). Oh, and including 5 jam packs and a bunch of other new sounds. Some people have said this is more like a Logic 7.5, but with so many work flow improvements, I'm really enjoying it.