OCRA-0009 - Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream

zircon

This may be the first "all-out" release OCR has done, but WE didn't write that review. The reviewer on M4G was an independent, unaffiliated 3rd party with nothing to gain by lavishing such praise on VotL. In fact, he risked credibility as a writer by being that positive. That quote, as part of his review, is an honest opinion. What are we gonna do, tell a reviewer from a respected VGM site that we're not using his review because it's too positive? Edit what he said?

Hi,

I never said you wrote it, which should have been indicated by my use of the phrase "when people praise you it makes you want to let everyone know".

Also, there's really no need to be combative here, considering I praised the project earlier there's not much reason for me to argue back, so, good work with the album.

I meant to append a :P emoticon to the end of that, I'm not trying to be combative here ;) Trust me, the project has received EXTREMELY negative feedback from some people and even that doesn't phase me. The way you worded the first part of your post seemed to imply that we manipulated or influenced the review, and so I wanted to make absolutely clear that was NOT the case. That's all.

A decent project. I only ended up keeping 7 songs though (Materia Junkie, Chasing the Storm, JENOVA Celestial, Daydreaming Again, Midnight at Club Corel, Fading Entity, and Hydrophone Breakdown). As a singular album it's just too disjointed to listen to from beginning to end, but I guess that's inevitable in a project with such a broad scope.

'Midnight at Club Corel' is probably my favourite song out of all of them, though the straight-over-swing rhythms and constant shifting between the two at around 3:20 were kind of off-putting to me. I noticed a similar thing in 'Brinstar Bonsai Garden', I don't really understand why he does that.

'Midnight at Club Corel' is probably my favourite song out of all of them, though the straight-over-swing rhythms and constant shifting between the two at around 3:20 were kind of off-putting to me. I noticed a similar thing in 'Brinstar Bonsai Garden', I don't really understand why he does that.

To be quite sincere, me neither. However, I am really happy you liked the song. =D

I think it's important to keep this project in its proper perspective. It was a collection of musically-inclined video game enthusiasts who were invited to make music for fun, and for the enjoyment of others, without compensation of any kind. In fact most of the remixers on the project had to donate money in order for discs to be burned and packages be put together for dissemination to reviewers. I think at most anyone should take feedback light-heartedly. It's not like we're charging $99.99 for the box set.

We're all not professionals, but what we've accomplished I believe is deserving of the recognition it has received, whether it's been over the top or not. You have to consider the target audience for this project. I'm not surprised people make over the top statements, the great majority are fanboys alike. And people like zircon have worked hard to make it work and get it out there.

For some reason, Black Wing Metamorphosis is screwing with my computer. It will

1. Not play on either WAV or MP3 format

2. Not allow itself to be deleted in any way shape or form

3. Not allow itself to be moved.

So yeah, a little help here? I don't like having songs that don't work and can't be gotten rid of.\

Edit: All other songs seem to be working fine. Is anyone else having this problem? SECOND EDIT: Fixed it myself. For some reason I couldn't even look at the properties of it, but I COULD take everything out of the folder it was in and put THAT in the recycle bin and delete it without any problems, getting rid of the weird file. Whatever, I'll just download the song by itself.

For some reason, Black Wing Metamorphosis is screwing with my computer. It will

1. Not play on either WAV or MP3 format

2. Not allow itself to be deleted in any way shape or form

3. Not allow itself to be moved.

So yeah, a little help here? I don't like having songs that don't work and can't be gotten rid of.\

Edit: All other songs seem to be working fine. Is anyone else having this problem? SECOND EDIT: Fixed it myself. For some reason I couldn't even look at the properties of it, but I COULD take everything out of the folder it was in and put THAT in the recycle bin and delete it without any problems, getting rid of the weird file. Whatever, I'll just download the song by itself.

It's got a long file name. So if you saved it deep into the folder structure of windows, it will cause problems. Try renaming it with "various artists" instead of all the artist names when you download again.

This is by far my least favorite of all the OCR full soundtrack releases. I've listened to the whole thing twice and there are maybe 2 songs total I want to listen to again. I'll be deleting this one.

What's your most favorite release? Is it this one as well? If so, you've probably only listened to one project.

I don't see how anyone can say they disliked this project.. i mean the sheer variety of music alone is incredible.

Anyways, this happens to be my MOST favorite project yet, beating out Hedgehog Heaven handily.

Now to place the blame ^_^; I was reading up on the write-up for Jovette's Crossroads piece when DjP mentioned making an AMV outta it. I haven't made one in a while...So off I went ^_^; Excuse the sorry excuse for self-advertisment ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzeZQqltSZk

HQ version: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=150725

What's your most favorite release? Is it this one as well? If so, you've probably only listened to one project.

I guess instead of saying "least favorite" I should have said "only one I don't like"...

I have heard all of them and still listen to them regularly. My favorites are Donkey Kong Country and Super Metroid.

Literally. In the seven years that I've listened to the works of the OCR community this album, hands down, has to be one of my favorites.

I fell in love with a number of the tracks, and, because of that, felt that I owed it to the community to give something back. Not being a musician, of course, I decided to honor you all--and this project--in my own way.

So, without further adieu, here are my thoughts on what it means to remix, and why it's a wonderful thing to do:

http://jarodcerf.vox.com/library/post/showing-your-roots-part-2-1.html

Please let me know what you think (also if there's anything you'd like me to modify, clarify, or the like).

Peace,

-J

First post so bare with me here!!

So far form what i've heard, this album is an amazing compilation of remixes from the music of the legendary VII.

So once i get it (In the middle of downloading it via Torrent) i'll seed over for about 6 months :)

I'm also gonna go spread the word right now on multiple gaming websites.

Hello! I was recommended to Voices of the Lifestream by a friend of mine and just thought I'd register here to voice my thoughts about it.

I have to say that for me, it's a mixed bag. There are some tracks that I am extremely impressed by, and others that I was disappointed in. The tracks that I've enjoyed the most so far as Fading Entity, Delivance of the Heart and Serenity and JENOVA Celestial. They are awesome, kudos to the people who remixed those.

Probably the most disappointing track for me has been Valse Aeris. I'm a huge fan of Aerith's Theme and was quite looking forward to this one... but it wasn't quite as I expected. For a while I felt as if I should be at a carnival or the circus; it was a bit too energetic and far removed from Aerith's Theme for me. My personal opinion when it comes to this theme is that it's a sad, melancholy song, so hearing it all trumpety and upbeat was a bit 'meh' for me.

Hmm... overall, I am finding the album enjoyable to listen to, but it isn't gripping me like various comments seemed to imply it should. That said, congratulations on some very fine remixes!

Hey guys, I've just finished off my review for Squaresound of this album. I started it pretty much when the album was released and it's probably longer than most of my coursework for my degree, lol. I felt that I should put the effort in though after all the hard work you guys have put in over the last 20 months (I think it was).

I've tried to be fair across the board and judge each song on its own merits.

Anyway, the review is up at either

Square Union or

Squaresound

Thanks for the amazing effort you've put in and I look forward to your next album release. ;)