OCR01613 - Final Fantasy VII "Materia Junkie"

djpretzel

Hah, I kept an eye on this one since I heard it in the demo medley. The usual ska melange that pretty much became LuIza's trademark makes another appearance. Very bluesy overall, though some of the more rocking parts ticked me off by their (intentional) dissonance, but this is more of a personal opinion.

Bass is very gritty and sounds great, guitars are very good, drums are punchy, but the bass is what does it for me in this mix. Great job altogether =P

I must admit I was worried since these are, honestly, my two favourite songs from the soundtrack.

Glad I was wrong :)

LuiZa rocks the house. I feel Alice in Chains and then it gets even more dirty and jumpin'.

Wonderfully performed and some very interesting touches makes a great remix.

Go LuiZa!

(sidenote: I came up with the title for my remix, but zircon stole it and gave it to LuiZa ;P)

Great tone throughout and a good arrangement, but some of the chugs 1/3 through weren't terribly tight, and some bass timing slips at the beginning of the ska section should have been caught. Things tightened up once the drums came in.

Solos are very nice, and the ska section with the organ was especially creative.

Nice ambiance, and mixing, and overall pretty sweet.

Awesome mix from one of my favorite guitar players, here in ocr & outside of the scene! I remeber hearing this as a very early wip, & it sounds even more awesome now, than it did then. (note: it was really awesome back then as well)

So, yeah, I like this mix, & I reccommend it to every one who likes the gritty, let's get into a bar fight with some drunk bokers, then get all cheeky with their chicks (the ska section would be this part), then face off with their leader. Who smells of, what can only be described as whiskey & urine.

Long story short, JTown Seal of just-friggin-download-it Excellence.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, those guitars are... chunky.

The great strength of this song is that it is far from a wall of sound. Nice range of tones, and periods of relative quiet that only give the guitar more oomph. As for the atmosphere, I felt like this is the sort of thing that Uematsu Nobou(sp?) was trying to capture both in the game and in Advent Children. (see Advent Children's "Black Water" for instance).

• 10 months later...

One of the most memorable tracks on VotL. I love the "cyberpunk" feel I get from this. What a tasty bass! There's a lot of space in the mix which is really nice. I love the subtle, eerie synths, and the big "wide" distorted guitar chords which are like sheets of metallic sound. The middle ska section with the piano and organ is fun, even if I like the other parts much more, and the sections complement each other well. Can't complain. A fantastic track!

--Eino

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Nice. Loving the whole melting pot ideal of gritty sounds and tones; it establishes a pretty bizarre combination that for the most part is easy to get a taste for. Call me traditional, but my view is that dirty guitar-chugging and ska generally aren't considered instantly meshable. The fact it was pulled off with gusto here is an impressive feat.

The fact that the lighter elements aren't totally at home with the harder, filthier bookends of the mix makes this seem maybe a little too dynamic for its own good, but in all, it's a better than average hard rock piece that does something more mixes should do; not take itself too seriously. It has fun when it wants to, and that's always a good thing, even if it taints the overall tone a little in the process. The arrangement is awesome and supports the shifts in moods pretty well too. What it basically comes down to is if you can take shredding guitars and ska-playing organs at the same time and still enjoy yourself. If you can't, you're missing out. But I can also understand why this might not hit everyone's rock-loving sweetspot.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is definitely one of the most impressive ReMixes I've come across. While staying faithful to the source material, you somehow managed to seamlessly blend together two of my favorite themes from the game -- two with radically different moods and rhythms -- using a skillful mix of guitars and synthesizers.

What took me aback the most about this song was the organ and piano solos during the Oppressed section. It's not often that I've seen the guitars in rock instrumentals suddenly take a backseat to the keys. For that, you have my utmost respect.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01613 - Final Fantasy VII "Materia Junkie"