OCR00058 - Super Star Soldier "Hardcore Densehead"

Super Star Soldier 'Hardcore Densehead'

Kick ass! I loved the old days back when there were more good games than bad. You can't say that nowadays! Anyway djp's Super Star Soldier mix is jammin'. I imagine that if this was ever released for the CD-ROM attachment (it may have been, I dunno) that the music would be similar to this. Hell this is probably better because a lot of the PC Engine CD music had a knack for being too thin or "lite". The weird solo in the last third of the song is, well, weird! All in all I like it!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been a fan of this mix forever and i'm kindof sad that there arent more reviews for it.

ENERGY- TO THE MAXIMUM!

BEATS- ROUGH AND TOUGH! (with a little break in the middle for those of you who need a breather)

SYNTHS- DELICIOUS! POTENTIALLY NUTRITIOUS!

SOLO- PRETTY GOOD! JUST GLAD IT'S THERE!

This is complete old school ass-kicking goodness, and all you star soldier wannabes need to download this onto your wii, crank this song, maybe do DJP's funky chicken dance (optional), and start blowing shit up.

Recommended.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

A rocking classic djpretzel track that always has intensity permeating it. The short break just seems to threaten the return of the main beat with a vengeance.

The solo synth at 2:00 is a great touch that always gets me.

Definitely have to agree that this mix must be blasted. Its power is maximum.

The intro comes off strong, fast, and furious, and so is the rest of the song.

The ending was kind of weird. One would think such an explosive song would go out with a bang instead of just fading out.

Fast, peppy, interesting, changing.

Not exactly one of my favorites, but it is a great mix worth checking out.

• 4 months later...

There's a hell of a lot crammed into this mix. And a prime example of how to deliver a repetitive source in an exciting way. And even though something like this wouldn't seem out of place in an actual game soundtrack from last-gen, it's a great standalone track because of its variation and energy. Synths are pleasant and safe, as per pretzel usual, and it has one of those amazing dithering solos that I adore.

It's one of those awesome mixes which has no valleys; its all buildup and tearing downhill, which makes it a blast to listen to. Take note: this is how you DO it!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Methinks the wacky intro is declaring: "I may be drunk, but I mean bizhnesshhh!" I mean, there's the swaying lead, the rapid-yet-slightly-behind-schedule drum loop (5-6 seconds in), and the provocative tone reminiscent of arcade games challenging the player to get a high score. As the effects of booze wane, the mix invites the listener to friendlier locales that come in bouncy, strategically clandestine, and free-for-all varieties (with one lapse into the initial dare-based attitude past the halfway point). It's also interesting how, although the mix doesn't end on a definitive beat (or even finish its final verse), it still loops cleanly.

A boost to the source's potential punch and a boost to my adrenaline. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

This is a fun little burst of energy! The synth choices all collaborate well together to make a weird quirky moodspace that isn't annoying, and I'll agree with everyone that this is dense in a good way. It still feels a little 'old OCR' but in, like, a sophisticated way? I wish there was more of a blast in the ending but, hey, pretty good overall! 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00058 - Super Star Soldier "Hardcore Densehead"