*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Ultimate Dance Ver. 2'

djpretzel

I wasn't going to judge this but I had already downloaded it so what the hell. Hearing the intro for the first time, I quite liked the overall sound. Although the synths are a little simple sounding, there's nothing wrong with them. I've got a problem with the drums though - they're too soft compared to the rest of the mix. They should definitely be louder or everything else should be softer. Quite a few changes which is nice, and does what it's meant to do - be dancey, and it's not overly long which is good, so it doesn't get too repeditive. Still, the drums need volume, and I know this is really harsh but I can't really pass this until there's something done with them. Overwise, great original mix. This isn't a bad rejection, just something that will make the mix heaps better in the long run when it is posted. Fix the drums and I'll pass it on the spot.

No

-Jive

Ok. I'm actually kind of torn on this one. This is really pretty enjoyable to listen to.

I MEAN

The piece is varied as far as layers are concerned. The drums don't really change much, but they do drop out from time to time.... or did I not hear that correctly... gah, gotta relisten. This thing is long. But anyway, other material is introduced within the context of the same chord progression throughout the song so it's interesting in that sense too...

Ok, no I was wrong. The drums don't drop out until the end.

WAIT A MINUTE HERE

ok, I listen from beginning to end, and what do I hear? I hear a song that was intended to be played on loop, like a background track.

WELL BASICALLY

That's what I was going to say anyway, that because of certain elements, it barely makes a dent in the air around me. Those elements are as follows:

NUMBER ONE

What Jive said. The beat really is kind of subtle. I thought your snare was nice and loud, but the bass drum is more like an electrotom than a kick. That, and as I said, the drums don't really vary THAT much between the time they start at the beginning and the time they stop at the end.

NUMBER TWO (who does he work for?)

I really want to hear some better samples used. Maybe even some MORE samples used. I realize, however, that in a piece of this style, there's a certain amount of repetition to be expected, but how hard would it be to find some higher quality samples? Which leads me to point

NUMBER THREE (there is no joke regarding this phrase)

The encoding rate is pretty bad. The file limit is 6 megs. I'm thinking you could do this at at LEAST 128kbps and be fine. In FACT, I'd be willing to bet that you could encode it at 160 and still squeak by under the 6 meg line.

Anyway, that's what I'd like to hear done to the song, and for that, I dub thee:

Sir NO From Me For Now

DC