OCR01623 - Final Fantasy VII "Black Wing Metamorphosis"

djpretzel

Well I'm not going to lie about this, I was disappointed, at first. I really expected a ~10 minute epic that would kick the ass of the black mages mix, especially with all the great remixers on it, so when I saw it was 3-minutes, and started with a chiptune-intro, I didn't have very high hopes for it (nothing against chiptunes, I just didn't really expect it here =P).

Of course, after hearing the Elfman-esque marcato strings entering, things changed, and I realised this really wasn't meant to be a Black Mages-killer, but a mix in itself.

Personal opinions aside, this is extremely well executed, though perhaps not too interpretative (which is probably because of the exact chord voicings sung by the sampled choir), but all the elements work surprisingly well together, and each element is produced/ sequenced/played with near-professional skill and attention to detail. Unexpected, but very good nonetheless!

Okay, you guys are Mad Geniuses!! The chiptune cheasey-ness flowing into that pulse-building opening was something I never would have known could sound so good! And then you just didn't let up with the intensity! Usually I love a fast-paced beat with a ton of base, but this grabbed my attention quicker than I ever would have thought. Those hypnotic vocals around 1:18 were phenominal and the balance of each component was right on. Loving it!

Honestly, I think I prefer this to all other versions I have heard. Of course, I am biased towards the sheer devotion and passion behind this album, as well as all of the others. I also personally think that the decision to make this piece shorter was a fine one. I didn't think it was possible to do this song justice in 3 minutes, but I should expect nothing less from this community.

This entire album has completely blown me away, and I am actually quite astonished to be alive; with this much excitement I would have anticipated a heart attack by now. Anyways, I would like to thank ALL 42 ReMixers for possibly the best musical experience I've ever had. I can't wait to see what album comes up next. :-)

Also, I would also like to know where I can get the full chiptune that served as the intro. I'd love to hear it.

Keep up the always-impressive work, folks.

~Dan~

Ps. It's stuff like this that really inspires me to write music. Maybe I'll submit something of mine one day. :-)

What can I say? It's definitely a bad ass remix of a bad ass theme song for a bad ass bad guy. Remember that when kids say bad they really mean good. Hahaha. I definitely liked the arrangement. The solo at the end was cool. Like Tensei san, I too would have liked to see the chorus parts changed up a lot more. And I would have liked to hear some insane tenor dudes belting it out as loudly as they could. Hahaha. It's too bad I don't have my own choir. I want to hear the name Sephiroth used over and over again in a fugue where it sounds like a battle between the Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass. Hahaha. Those are just my crazy ideas though. This is a good ass remix. Thank you.

I actually enjoyed this one a lot. I was pleasantly surprised, usually when people remix 'flagship' songs like this it ends up being a silly pretentious mish mash. Especially in this case, since One Winged Angel was a bit mediocre in the first place. As I posted above, I'm interested in getting the chiptune thing that the intro came from.

I can definitely agree that this song didn't last long enough. But I've never really been a big fan of the One Winged Angel theme so I'm probably not familiar with it enough to really compare, yet I liked this one well enough. The vocals were well done, I saw a post somewhere that said they seemed incorrect, but since I don't speak Latin I thought it was great.

The original One-Winged Angel was great, my only complaint was that it got too TOO repeatitive...

No such complaint on that here. This is the way the song SHOULD have been in the game.

Like... Wow.

Absolutely fantastic - very nice work! The choir sounds really full, the production is really nice, the string patches are beautiful (though terribly dark! which is awesome, because that's the character of the work :))... truly awesome.

My favorite part about the whole thing was, believe it or not, the chiptune at the beginning, because it doesn't foretell what the piece will become, it sets up the incredible surprise of bigness and a super dark sound.

Keeping in mind, it is an arrangement and it does a fine job of being true, while still tasty, to the original. I'm not sure if it was the "piece that SHOULD'VE been in the game" but I absolutely adore it as a ReMix - tasteful, yet awesome :)

Did pixietricks perform all of the vocals, or is any of it sampled choirs? I can't tell.

Pixie did the solo vocal, I used symphonic choirs to construct a fake choir. I did the best I could with east wests worldbuilder, and tweaked it for hours. I think it turned out alright but some say that its off, oh well what can you do?

Chiptunes intro was an odd choice. I personally thought it was terrible. But reasonable minds may disagree.

Between the intro and the transition at 2:05, this was just another orchestral One Winged Angel remix. Yawn.

I thought the take after that transition was pretty original, however, and an improvement on the original track. Especially with the vocals around 2:45. Things really started to get really good at around this point, but then... BAM! Song's over! Sorry folks! Blah.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01623 - Final Fantasy VII "Black Wing Metamorphosis"