OCR01623 - Final Fantasy VII "Black Wing Metamorphosis"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

First, let me start off by saying how much I dislike symphonic re-makes.

No, not all videogame music sounds "cool" when someone takes the main melody and tries to re-mix it using orchestral sounds.

I sometimes wonder, what are these people thinking? And then I go, I know what they're thinking. They're thinking that they're somehow genius and "innovative" for trying to remake a videogame track into some sort of movie sound track.

Nope... sorry, doesn't always work. Symphonic does not equal automatic hit.

So I wish people would refrain from remaking stuff into "symphonic versions." Aside from getting annoying, everybody and their grandma's done one; it gets old.

BUT...

:razz:

My, my, I must say what a beautiful conglomeration of styles we have here.

I love the square lead intro. You do a great job of incorporating the symphonic style into this piece of music. The square lead is quiet, but then the symphonic part slowly builds up. But then you don't just leave it there, but incorporate a drum set and totally unrelated rhythm!

I like how the square lead is a recurring theme. Nice job of tying this through.

My absolute favorite part is at 2:06 when you introduce an entirely different rhythmic pattern than the original. Quite marchy and enroute to distruction. Totally gives a new perspective to an old piece.

And then you bring in an electric guitar!!!

There's nothing wrong with symphonics as long as people can use them RIGHT.

EXCELLENT piece.

• 2 months later...

I've always loved One Winged Angel, it's a great piece of music. As soon as I heard about the Voices of the Lifestream album, this was the first track I listened to (especially after I saw who had worked on it). Simply put, I love this ReMix. Everything is done so well, from the unique intro, to the catchy main theme, and the beautiful choir vocals. You guys are amazing. :-D

• 4 weeks later...

When I first listened to the whole project, I'm pretty sure I listened to this, but perhaps I brushed it aside because I didn't recognize it at all when listening to it today. That intro is great, and what the song becomes is amazing as well. It reminds me of Gigyas' theme from Earthbound, not just in how the intro of that is also a chiptune, but in that feeling it gives you that you're getting into some serious shit, much like the source does. Great stuff.

The song was nice and all, but it was very quite. I had my earphones turned up all the way, the volume on my PC up AND in windows media player all the way up, and it was STILL very quite. Does anyone know how I can possibly edit the song and increase it;s volume?

• 5 months later...

Did someone say...holy crap? Yes, I did.

This was an absolutely DOMINATING collabed remix. When the retro tune started "modernizing," I knew for sure something was going to blow me away. I'm glad my hearing is still sharp. With only 7% comp volume, I was slamming to this remix for hours and hours with my headphones. I have no idea how the remixers managed to get a hold of the sephiroth choiring, but it was dang hawt.

Five thumbs up for this mix.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great collab effort to relive this very well known song. I've heard all the versions of this song remixed and I have to say that this one is in the top two.

The guitar part at the end was very well done and created and ending that was magnificent. The only thing though, that i wish was better was the building of the climax. It could have been a litter longer and flowed a little smoother.

Overall, this song ranks very high.

• 3 months later...

Steffan Andrews review:

This is the first mix from Steffan in about 5 years. Production quality is superb. The growth that Steffan achieved in those 5 years is beyond amazing. It's almost as though it's a totally different person. It's no secret that Steffan has been a fan of Elfman over the years, and this piece definitely showcases that interest! The arrangement is phenomenal and the orchestral brilliant. The way the orchestra fades in with the chiptunes at the beginning is fantastic. I could gush over the orchestral parts in this piece all day, but I've gotta clam up before I never stop!

Absolutely brilliant work!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01623 - Final Fantasy VII "Black Wing Metamorphosis"