OCR01621 - Final Fantasy VII "Rare Square"

djpretzel

Damn, where are all the reviews for this?

This is arguably one of the sexiest tracks on the album. Definitely had the "Bond" feel in both ways--both in light of the group and also the movies.

This is definitely Hollywood movie-score-worthy. All the source really needed was a couple talented musicians, one of which bears a phat Aussie booty.

This one sweats intensity and suspense. It's beautiful. Will and Lee--be proud, stand tall. Lee, I know you said you weren't as happy with the outcome, but let me assure you, it's terrific the way it is. You get the nicework smiley. 4x.

:nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework:

• 1 month later...

Suspenseful and seductive.

Those strings surrounded by a fantastic soundscape are instantly memorable and completely addictive. It helps that the song is bite-sized enough to encourage repeat listens, and that the content is deep enough to keep finding new, subtle phrases each time. I especially like how the song is driven by the panning, pinging synth, allowing the percussion to take a more atmospheric role, with the toms adding a bit of punch here and there.

This is excellent, inspiring work, and easily one of the most accomplished tracks on the album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A well crafted piece. I love that constant little glittering arpeggio travelling from left to right, what ever instrument that is. Very dramatic orchestral gestures indeed. Like TO is quoted saying in the write-up, this is background music, not foreground music - perhaps that's why it has gotten so little reviews? While it sounds great and has a truck-load of good details, it doesn't grab me like that.

--Eino

• 2 months later...
Well, it also may not have gotten a lot of reviews because it was posted in a flood of 13 other mixes, and the theme is more obscure.

Not only that, but the review thread for it was broken for a couple days after it was posted, when probably most of the commenting takes place. This was actually my favorite song out of everything from VoTL, which is pretty damn high praise. The ways those strings creep along puts this incredibly evil grin on my face. Thick, chilling atmosphere and a perfect matching of styles between busta and TO.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is the album cut to beat all album cuts. If tracks from VotL were played on national radio (and gosh dangit they should be!), Rare Square probably would not get any airtime outside of AOR. This is one of those underappreciated songs that make an album possible: it can stand on its own and does so just fine but, just as importantly, it functions as the subdued glue that holds together the more ostentatious entries, lending balance and improving all the tracks around it.

No clear verse and chorus, just a swirling of strings and bells and horns with a constant buildup to an unresolved climax. It's ominous undertones and changing dynamics are gripping; by the end the listener is on the edge of his seat. Truly magnificent.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This remix was pretty dope. The strings were sick as hell and all together this song is straight rockin. I definitely get the goldneye vibe comin from this song. Don't know why I haven't heard this song before, am I crazy?

Nope, you're not crazy. The similarity to Goldeneye is where the name comes from. "Rare Square" - "Rare", as in, the company which made Goldeneye. :)

• 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01621 - Final Fantasy VII "Rare Square"