Wi-Fi troubles

Final_metroid

I got a NETGEAR wireless USB adapter. I installed the driver on the CD and when I tried to connect to the internet it freezes. I did some research, some say netgear is the worst thing out there while some say it's good. I'm not going to do anything with it yet for fear of frying my computer with constant restarts (like last time) so any thoughts?

It won't fry your computer. I have a netgear wireless adapter for my laptop and it works fine. Are you using the driver included in the package or the most up to date one? If you're using the old one, I'd suggest downloading the new one from the site. They should have it under support or something. Also, what are you using to connect to the internet? The 3rd party software or Windows? Some people have bad luck with the 3rd party software and just have Windows to control their wireless connection. If you're using both, then I guess that could be the caues for the hangup.

It won't fry your computer. I have a netgear wireless adapter for my laptop and it works fine. Are you using the driver included in the package or the most up to date one? If you're using the old one, I'd suggest downloading the new one from the site. They should have it under support or something. Also, what are you using to connect to the internet? The 3rd party software or Windows? Some people have bad luck with the 3rd party software and just have Windows to control their wireless connection. If you're using both, then I guess that could be the caues for the hangup.

I think I installed both, first I installed the 3rd party software, but my internet didnt connect. Then I used the new hardware wizard (but I selected yes, it came with a driver disk) and then it started detecting my connection. But when I used an application that used the internet (AIM, firefox) it froze

Probably against all normal advice, I'd probably stick with the 3rd party software. If it does not pick up the signal, then do not attempt to access the internet! Yes, in theory, it will never connect and it should just hang up, giving you a blank or DNS screen when you start up your internet browser. You have to go find what is causing the problem as in why you can't connect to the internet. Are you trying to access a secured wi-fi connection? Do you need some sort of pass phrase or WPA/WEP code to get in? If you disable all security, then you should be able to find and connect to the network with ease. In any case, check out the settings of your router. The IP that I generally use is: 192.168.1.1

If your 3rd party software doesn't see the network at all after you disable security, then use the Windows network manager app, whatever it's called and uninstall the other software so it won't interfere. Also, I'm not too sure if this has changed or not, but from what I recall that USB wi-fi dongles aren't too powerful. Make sure that distance isn't an issue and make sure whatever computer you're using is sitting fairly close to the router or access point, at least in the same room.