I cried when Aeris died...

NOIZROCX

Ok, I love this one. Who cried when Aeris died? I didn't I kinda laughed and was shocked but I didn't cry. I think the first time I cried or felt emotionally bonded to a character was Phantasy Star 4. I'm just curious. Because I really feel it is overhyped that people say "Oh my gosh, Aeris dying is the most shocking moment in video game history" So just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

On a different note... why does this thread exists? The game is like... 15 years old.

Yeah fuck the old shit! Why is there a huge tribute album to this old ass game!? It's 15 years old, why does it matter?

I honestly never cried during FFVII because I knew what happened thanks to reading EGM and EGM2. I didn't get a PS until much later and that game even later still.

I really can't think of a game that has really made me cry or get misty eyed and I wish more would do that. If they can do that that means you're emotionally connected to the characters. I'd like to see more emotionally driven games.

I didn't cry when Aeris died, but I was pretty young when I beat FF7 so maybe I was just stupid or something. The only games I have cried at are Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and MGS3. Chrono Trigger made me cry because I didn't want the game to be over and the ending song is pure genius and hits you hard. MGS3 makes me cry every time I finish it. I can't help myself no matter how many times I have seen it, I still cry.

The first time I ever saw ff7 in action was when I went to a friend's house who had just picked the game up. I walked in the door and less than a minute later he was like, "check this out" and Aeris died. My immediate response was, "why??"

So really, it had a profound effect on me not due to the scene itself, but rather because the biggest surprise in the game had been ruined for me before I even got to play it.

But really, cry? video game? come on now...

I do wish people would be at least considerate regarding spoilers. The oldness of the game (or whatever it is) be damned - spoiler warnings should always be there when people talk about the endings of things. This thread didn't spoil FF7 for me, but it reminds me of how it must have wound up happening (I don't remember now). While FF7 has never particularly interested me, I've always heard it's one of the best games ever. But seeing this kind of thing just makes me just not even want to play the damn game, because I know the whole time I'd be thinking "Oh, Aeris isn't dead yet. I wonder when Aeris dies. Yeah, none of that matters because you're going to die at the end." This is just how Cowboy Bebop was for me - I enjoyed it (it's my favorite anime) but it was spoiled for me by someone here before I finished it. I'm just thankful I was able to play some of the games that were most important to me through to the end with no spoilers beforehand. Putting something like this in the thread title pretty much assures that anyone even visiting this site at all is going to have the ending of ff7 spoiled, simple as that. You didn't set me off ranting by the way, it was a thread elsewhere where the title of the thread spoiled the ending of Halo 3 (luckily another game I'll probably never play). Just beware.

To be honest, I shed one tear...

...and then fragmented my controller.

it was pretty much act 2 of the unncessary deaths. Nei's was worse for me. I didn't talk about video games for 3 days... to anyone.

SPOILER WARNING....although PS4 is almost...13 years old

Ya know, I never finished PS2, I couldn't really get into the slow gameplay, although I played a ways in. Phantasy Star series itself has always had a profoundly darker storyline to it series in general though. When Alys died I just wanted to grab Zio by the stupid throat and strangle him. Her character was more developed that Aeris, and so was Nei. I thought Aeris was underdeveloped for as long as you got to know her. Maybe Crisis Core (god help the flood of milking the FF7 cash cow), will develop her better.

SPOILER WARNING....although PS4 is almost...13 years old

Ya know, I never finished PS2, I couldn't really get into the slow gameplay, although I played a ways in. Phantasy Star series itself has always had a profoundly darker storyline to it series in general though. When Alys died I just wanted to grab Zio by the stupid throat and strangle him. Her character was more developed that Aeris, and so was Nei. I thought Aeris was underdeveloped for as long as you got to know her. Maybe Crisis Core (god help the flood of milking the FF7 cash cow), will develop her better.

It was more like... being that faithful, naive noob, adjusting to the characters, mass-planning to kick as much ass and have fun while leveling up and then...

...No. ***And with the swiftness of Mr. Miyagi, launching the controller deep into wall, thus atomizing it***

...*lays down & goes to sleep*

I know there's another FF7 thread, but this thread is about whether or not you've been moved by a game.

FF7 SPOILER

Like Noizrocx said, I didn't get attached to her at all. In fact the only reason I ever wanted to use her was because of her healing limit break. That was it. Can't say I felt much of anything when she died. Except that killing her made Sephiroth cooler. Hahaha.

Star Ocean 3 SPOILER

Star Ocean 3 really had me going during the ending though. That game was full of perfect cliches, stereo types, cheesiness all over, but when fate said, "That means I'm still alive!" and then all those memories flashed by I could feel the tears trying to creep up on me and my throat even got all swollen like when you cry, and I know exactly why. 95% of it was Motoi Sakuraba's sickly sweet music. That dude always does it to me. ^_^

I know there's another FF7 thread, but this thread is about whether or not you've been moved by a game.

FF7 SPOILER

Like Noizrocx said, I didn't get attached to her at all. In fact the only reason I ever wanted to use her was because of her healing limit break. That was it. Can't say I felt much of anything when she died. Except that killing her made Sephiroth cooler. Hahaha.

Star Ocean 3 SPOILER

Star Ocean 3 really had me going during the ending though. That game was full of perfect cliches, stereo types, cheesiness all over, but when fate said, "That means I'm still alive!" and then all those memories flashed by I could feel the tears trying to creep up on me and my throat even got all swollen like when you cry, and I know exactly why. 95% of it was Motoi Sakuraba's sickly sweet music. That dude always does it to me. ^_^

Righto (wish I would have thought of that more generally when I named the thread...blah...but who cares, if you haven't played it by now....you 1, either already know about it, or 2 will never play it. Maybe one of the mods will rename the thread "Heartwrenching VG moments (Spoiler warning)" ::hint hint:: (jk, lol). But thats all beside the point.

SPOILER WARNING...

I think a game has so much more substance to it when you can relate to a character. In Xenogears for instance. You can relate to Fei, in the sense that he is struggling to figure out who he is as a person. He learns through his experiences that there are parts of him he didn't know exist. And underwent the personal trials (for a lack of better wording) to find out for himself who he was. UNLIKE Cloud, who is a whiny spikey haired punk who gets headaches, Fei has a goal in mind after he decides what he wants to do. Cloud just kind of goes with it, not really caring about the end result. The only time I truely saw any emotion in Cloud was the last cutscene where Tifa was falling off the airship and Cloud runs, dives and rescue. That is THE ONLY point I find to be at all appealing about Cloud, where he finally decides to be a man. Not to make it Cloud bashing session, cloud is a badass in some senses. Cloud was poorly developed too...and a confusing mess as well.

Star Ocean 3? Sure it had a nice-ish ending but that was so over the top convoluted, I was more confused at how hard the writing fell off near the end than anything. Fate was good, then the rest.... video game nerd final boss....

I think a game has so much more substance to it when you can relate to a character. In Xenogears for instance. You can relate to Fei, in the sense that he is struggling to figure out who he is as a person. He learns through his experiences that there are parts of him he didn't know exist. And underwent the personal trials (for a lack of better wording) to find out for himself who he was. UNLIKE Cloud, who is a whiny spikey haired punk who gets headaches, Fei has a goal in mind after he decides what he wants to do. Cloud just kind of goes with it, not really caring about the end result. The only time I truely saw any emotion in Cloud was the last cutscene where Tifa was falling off the airship and Cloud runs, dives and rescue. That is THE ONLY point I find to be at all appealing about Cloud, where he finally decides to be a man. Not to make it Cloud bashing session, cloud is a badass in some senses. Cloud was poorly developed too...and a confusing mess as well.

Um. You're WRONG on that one. On almost all points. Fei was an emotional/moody kid for like 90% of the game, he barely had any goals and he was just being moody and running from place to place fighting enemies he sees in his dreams and flashbacks that have resurfaced in the present. In a way, he was similar to Cloud than being dissimilar. Cloud was far from being moody but more like his emotions were broken. And he had to fight to get his past back just the same. Cloud being whiny? Do people even remember these games anymore? And Cloud not showing emotions? But that was like the entire point of the entire story and his back story AND the connection to Jenova, etc etc yadda yadda. I don't want to bother elaborating the obvious.

Also, I don't understand why people are seemingly so miffed at imperfect heroes. I'd rather have the main character be an actual CHARACTER than a caricature who really does nothing but be goody two shoes for the entirety of the game.

But then I realized that she was the one equipped with my only Dragon Armlet.

hehe, good to see you've prioritised.

I still get a little unsettled. Tbh the bit that makes me really really sad to that point is when the plate falls on sector 7. Barret gets all angry and anxious heart plays :(. Makes me sad just thinking about it.

hehe, good to see you've prioritised.

I still get a little unsettled. Tbh the bit that makes me really really sad to that point is when the plate falls on sector 7. Barret gets all angry and anxious heart plays :(. Makes me sad just thinking about it.

aeris dying was a little shocking, but the most emotional part of the game for me was cait sith getting honked by the Temple of the Ancients. but then he comes back so it's not really emotional because it's so awkward.