OCR00810 - Ultima VI "Gates of Creation"

Ginnsu

Ultima VI 'Gates of Creation'

Potshot has given us some really sweet electronic music that sends musical vibes right down through my bones. I really love that synth, but the those bells (or whatever,) sound like they are over echoed or something. Great work anyways Potshot.

• 4 months later...

Yummy thick synth! Everytime this mix plays I cant help but wave my fist in the air in time with it! Sometimes I subconsiously turn the stereo up to full right before it hits. I love it!

The last half of the mix is a bit blah though, could have used some spicing up. All in all worth having if you are a fan of trance at all, though it is not driving enough to be good dancable trance, it is great for sittin at home with your favorite inebriant.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had this in my playlist for a few years now, and I like it a lot, Though im not sure how many liberties it takes with the source material, it's overall enjoyable, if not a bit repetitive. The synths used through out are nice, but I'd prefer the beat to be a bit harder, as right now it's sortof just the middle of the road.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Sounds like good dungeon-crawling techno to me (I haven't played Ultima 6 though--but I was under the impression that this was one of the opening/creation screens). It's not terribly complex, but then again it doesn't need to be. The synth/bells are a good touch throughout, although they might make it a bit unworkable as background music in an in-game context.

Overall, pretty good. Minimalist and simple, but good. KF

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, given the gentle acoustic nature of the source material, I can understand how appropriate it would fit in a more chilled setting. And it does somewhat with the gentle chimes and pads used to carry the melody, but by the time that loud pulse synth comes in, I thought for me the mood is somewhat killed off, but it might've been seen as more of an artistic direction.

What seems to be my biggest qualm though is that for me the melodic and bass components aren't even on sync with the rhythm-based synths and drums, which to me I found it really hard to even keep in rhythm while listening towards it. Couple that with the randomly layered bell at the end, and I would've thought the structure for this one feels somewhat amiss for me.

So while the production actually isn't bad for 2002, what seems to be missing for me is the execution, especially in regards for timing. Hence, I don't feel really keen about this one, unfortunately :(

• 1 year later...

This remix covers the intro to Ultima VI, and it captures the vibe of the event in the game well - that of a hero who has been in a world of legends and adventure, has returned to the mundane world, has begun to realize how hollow and empty his current life is, and is about to be presented with the opportunity to return to that life of adventure shortly. This is a timeless theme for most, if not all, of us, and because this remix captures that theme so well, it is going to continue to age very well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00810 - Ultima VI "Gates of Creation"