OCR00814 - Final Fantasy IX "dubnofantasyaloneman"

Ginnsu

Final Fantasy IX 'dubnofantasyaloneman'

Whenever djpretzel comes out with another mix, I am filled with anticipation as I can't wait to listen to it. I can't wait to hear what theme he has chosen to use this time, and what sounds he's used that I've never heard before in my life. Every piece of music he puts out has something new and unexpected, it seems. This remix here is absolutely no exception. Snazzy piece of music, djpretzel.

There are only two or three mixes that I DON'T like that the pretz has made, and thats probably because I didn't like the original. My point is that the last like, 5 or so he has put out, I have consistently LOVED. This mix is quirky, and fun, a bit thin at times, but its totally solid like a flippin out NINJA. I'd love to see a collaboration on a song involving Malcos, Jivemaster, and DJP, because they all seem to be pretty 1337 at this style.

Normally, I like a few extra instruments, but I think you focused too much on the extra instrumentation than the actual melody. On other tracks, this usually sounds good. But on You're Not Alone, the main thing I liked about the track was the melody... sorry to say, I liked the original more. Still a nice mix though.

7/10

Edit: Now I realize what I don't like about it. The actual melody is incomplete, having a note skipped every few beats. It's not the foreground stuff as much as it is the missing notes... at least for the first 1:50 or so.

As well covered as the series may be, Pretzel should really do more Final Fantasy Remixes. It has a very distinct Reggae sound to it, but also a lot os synth\techno flavor too. Very interesting use of a lot of different instruments in this remix. I especially like at the 1:50 mark, when the flute part begins. It adds a slow, contemplative few moments to an otherwise very upbeat and fun remix. Props to pretzel for another gem. Highly recommended!

I've noticed that when I first listen to a song from DJPretzel, it's not as appealing as the 2nd or 3rd time I hear it. My point is that his songs grow on you. This and Pachelbel's Ganon are two that seem to stray from the original and that put me off a little at first. However, the unique flavor of this song and others are what gives them their lasting appeal. This has such an awesome feel to it that fits in well with the story behind "You're Not Alone!". In addition, this great variance of style makes this interesting all by itself, even if you don't pay attention to the original melody. Another great song from DJP...highly recommended!

This song is excellent. Every time I listen to it, it gets better and better. It took me a while to find out why this song reminded me of another game, but I finally found it - it sounds like Animal Village from Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening during the first 10 seconds of the song. Everyone should download this and listen to it a few times, it takes a few listens to appreciate it.

I've always loved djpretzels stuff and this is no exception, I've never even bothered with any other FF remixes but think I might just start lookin' into them. I feel that the beginning sounds a LOT like the COPS theme, and then the ending isn't very much, it just kinda ends unexpectedly, he could have maybe faded it out or something, it just ends too abrupt. I still love it and can't wait for his next.

Nice job DJP. While, even from your first remixes, you showed that you had talent, just recently, i think you've made some truly great remixes, most notiably, love hurts. While, IMO, this isn't quite as good as that, it still manages to be quite good. Really, where would OCR be without DJP? I'm not trying to short change all the great remixers on this site, far too many to name, but really, DJP is just really great at what he does. I personally think it's the detail he pays to his samples personally, but i'm curious what some other people think.

Now, back into wearing in these beyer 931's, to melt away their vice-grip :)

I've not been too much of a fan of DJP's newer stuff...it has seemed to smoothed over and clean for me, and I like his older stuff because it has some more character and personality to it. I'm also not always a fan of those funky bleepy keyboards and beats, because they're present in a big majority of remixes he does.

Regardless of what I think on some of his others, I like this one better than a lot of his recent submissions. It has an echoy pad in the background I'm not nesissarily fond of, but I like the addition of the violin with all the other funky instruments. The percussion is good too...and overall this remix gives the impression of sounding like some odd techno/reggae mix...Maybe just a little reverby for me. I must say that I also really like the flute solo at 1:50...and the organs are good too.

Overall, this is good stuff...but it just feels a bit "mushy" as I said earlier. And with all the stuff going on here, it just feels odd to me. Not particularly out of place, but odd...

Listening to it the first time, and this goes through my mind: Oh, cool! It's Reggae Klezmer Jazz! Nobuo Pretzuematsel's Reggae Klezmer Jazz! Now on my second listen, I'm thinking, "I think I'd buy that."

Great take from a great original by a great mixer. This is a mix I think I could binge on.

Yeah... OCR could use more Klezmer mixes >;¬)

*honken*

Wow, I loved the original but now I'm having a hard time deciding which I like better. I might be a bit biased because I love Dub, Reggae, Ska, etc...I'm also the type that loves it when a remixer strays way out in left field with their mixes, and only throws in a few key elements of the original song. If you listen to the original you'll be amazed at how different, yet alike these are. I think that's why I like DJP's mixes so much. He just does some truly crazy shtuff that are sometimes even unheard of, but it always seems to work out well in the end in my mind :)

Normally, I like a few extra instruments, but I think you focused too much on the extra instrumentation than the actual melody. On other tracks, this usually sounds good. But on You're Not Alone, the main thing I liked about the track was the melody... sorry to say, I liked the original more. Still a nice mix though.

7/10

Edit: Now I realize what I don't like about it. The actual melody is incomplete, having a note skipped every few beats. It's not the foreground stuff as much as it is the missing notes... at least for the first 1:50 or so.

Know what? It grows on you. Big time. The (obviously intentionally) skipped notes actually add something to the song if you listen to it a different way.

9/10.

Love the remix, DJP :D.. Since i dunno the technical words to use i'll keep it at that.. Not the best "You're Not Alone!" remix in my opinion, and no offense, cuz it's good. I prefer Dale North's and Ailsean's version from ATtNU (although i may be a bit biased due to the fact that Ailsean is my favorite remixer)

All DjP mixes have a wonderfully-unique sense to them, and he should definitely be commended for that fact. I didn't particularly love the song when I first heard it, and so this mix isn't my favorite, but the remix itself seems to me to be overall quite solid technically(the only way I feel I have a right to listen to it, as I don't like the source material much). There is one point I have to bring up that really impresses me, is how well the bass line is used, IMHO. I really like how it fits with the section starting at 2:00, and then 2:26 when it starts really going. Sometimes I listen to remixes with a base line: *thumpthumpthump thump thump thump* repeated over and over again. Nice to see this(in my eyes) mediocre song get some nice bass lovin' by Pretz.

Fantastic work. The subtle 16th note percussions, especially in the hat and snare, the fat quarter note triplets at the ends of phrases, and of course the inimitable sense of style... wow. You can be sure I'm going to play this the next time I'm in an... er, "altered state of consciousness". Tremendous skill, for a Pretzel. *wink*

• 3 weeks later...

Great mix!! One of the best on the site! You've really come a long way DJP.... I really like the drum-work on this one, and the funky dub groove. The strings also sound really nice in this mix, and I'm usually not a big fan of synth strings. I haven't heard the source material on this one, but now I'm inclined to seek it out... though I might be disappointed due to this great mix!

Oh, and it goes great with the ganj... heh... :wink:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00814 - Final Fantasy IX "dubnofantasyaloneman"