What video game brought you here?

MechaFone

The question this thread poses is 'what was the definitive video game that made you want to seek out video game music?'

Well, I sought out VG music for years before I became aware of ocremix. The first game that really sold me on games in general, and their music as well, was Metroid. A few years later I picked up a Genesis and played Phantasy Star II, Thunder Force II, Sword of Vermillion, and Herzog Zwei. Those pretty much hooked me for life. When I first discovered game midis on the web about 11 years ago, I was overjoyed. I got the same feeling when I came upon the remix scene, and ocremix in particular, thanks to a gamespy article.

I was looking for songs from MegaManX with Kazaa, and I found Brain Sick Metal by Protricity. Then I checked the album and voila!

That was back in 2001 or 02 (cant really remember), with the old blue look.

Good times, good times....

Pretty similar to me, actually.

Had to have been '00 or '01 when I started checking P2P for video game music, or whenever Napster was still intact (2000-ish right?), and at first I didn't care if it was the original in MP3 format or some sort of remix or rearrangement. It was mainly for Mega Man tracks that I searched for (to a somewhat lesser extent, Metroid and a couple of others) and it was out of sheer nostalgia. I also heard Metroid and Dragon Ball Z-related tracks from Super Pope on mp3.com back when it was a good place to find stuff that was different, and that really got me more interested in rearrangements. After a while of checking Napster when it was still free/good and later Kazaa along with few other P2P clients, I got around to checking the old OCRemix site. I basically went on a mad downloading spree for any game I had played, and ended up not returning for quite a while. When I came back, I remember what song came out that marked when I started going to the site regularly, and that was Darkesword's remix from Gundam Wing Endless Duel, "LetMeLiftThisLoad." Thanks to this site I decided to check out a good number of games, like FF7, Ocarina of Time, and Chrono Trigger.

So in summary, been avidly checking the site and listening since '02, but only relatively recently decided to join (a big reason being my ever-increasing interest in video game rearrangement). Mainly Mega Man brought me here originally, but now I listen to everything and it has opened me up to play games I've never gotten around to before.

Ha! Get out this thread, djp.

A while ago, there was a remix from MMX2/3 (I can't recall at the moment) called RZX Zero floating around - - to this very day, I'm not certain if it was accepted as an OC Remix, but I tried to locate that song on this site.

You make it sound so mysterious. No, that was never on the site.

To answer the original question, a friend referred me, so there wasn't one particular game. But prior to joining up, I was interested in the music from several games in the Street Fighter series. LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT>

In my case, it was the Megaman/Megaman X series.

My friend found out I had a CD burner and he wanted me to make him a compilation of said songs. I decided that the rips from the game weren't all that, and I knew about "remixing" from that music feature on RPGamer.com. I just fired up Yahoo and looked for videogame music.

I remember finding two websites, and after downloading a song from each, this one won.

(and let me tell you something, downloading songs (3 a day to be nice on the bandwidth) individually with a drop down menu was something.)

In my case, it was the Megaman/Megaman X series.

My friend found out I had a CD burner and he wanted me to make him a compilation of said songs.

lol, ahh burning compilation cds. Did that a ton back when I first started downloading video game music/remixes.

And I also forgot to mention 3 incredible games with amazing music (and the new sequels lack that superb music), that I was also looking around at the time.

Doom and Doom 2

and

The Original C&C

Fix'd. :razz:

To answer the original question, a friend referred me, so there wasn't one particular game. But prior to joining up, I was interested in the music from several games in the Street Fighter series. LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT>

Read those back when you first posted...good stuff, very enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I really hope reviving dead threads isn't a moddable offense.

Anyway, for me it'd be The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I was browsing through the GameFAQs boards on the game and somebody posted "You would cry if I told you this was the soundtrack to this game", along with a link to DarkeSword's Ancient Hero.

True enough, I did.

The Wingless' All the World in One Girl was also being featured at that point of time, and once I checked it out, I knew I was hooked. It remains my favorite remix to date. And I practically cried again. Dammit.

I was browsing a Chrono Trigger/Cross fan website in search of a translated SNES ROM of "Radical Dreamers" (Which was the game made between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross for those who don't know). Anyway, the website had a section for OverClocked ReMixes. I was amazed at this, because at the time, I'd been making Chrono Trigger remixes. Well... actually I was making MIDI rips, but that's not the point! The point is, after finding OCR, I wasn't ashamed to be a fan of video game music anymore. In fact, I'm proud of it now!

I really hope reviving dead threads isn't a moddable offense.

Anyway, for me it'd be The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I was browsing through the GameFAQs boards on the game and somebody posted "You would cry if I told you this was the soundtrack to this game", along with a link to DarkeSword's Ancient Hero.

True enough, I did.

The Wingless' All the World in One Girl was also being featured at that point of time, and once I checked it out, I knew I was hooked. It remains my favorite remix to date. And I practically cried again. Dammit.

hahahahah! Dood, you're so ghey.