OCR01625 - Syberia "To the Land of the Great Mammoths"

djpretzel

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here's a long ramble as my gratitude:

In the months after I originally submitted I was constantly learning more and so I can understand the criticisms of the judges, especially zircon comment about cymbals. Chalk it up to newbie-ness :P It does kind of annoy me that I had tried to contact one judge through PM to get a pre-submission opinion and got a "need more info" reply, and no reply when I provided that (coincidentally that was one of the judges who voted "NO" rather starkly to this mix on the panel). I don't know if I will submit more, as I feel like the WIP process isn't too rewarding without proper feedback.

I did realize I was entering shaky territory by creating an orchestral mix to an orchestral soundtrack, so I can see why some people would think it's not "different" enough to qualify. But, my main goal was to interpret and build the melody in the way I wanted, and in a cinematic sort of tone. But it was still a fantastical, orchestral arrangement of a fantastical, orchestral original source. I knew I was kind of toeing the line, and I would have completely understood if it had been rejected because of that fact, but I'm happy it worked out in the end.

I don't really review very much, but i felt compelled to on this one.

All I have to say is that i really found this to be one of the best orchestral arrangements I've heard on OCRemix. I know there are going to be others who disagree with me, possibly strongly, but I felt more of an attachment and emotion with this arrangement than many of the other orchestral arrangements on this site.

Yes, it feels a little too drenched in reverb, and the cymbals sound shitty, but on the arrangment side and for the rest of the more technical side, it is quite outstanding.

BTW, did anyone else get the feeling of Halo on the first few notes of the song? I was reading the Halo 3 review while listening to the song and thought the video review had somehow popped up. I guess thats quite the compliment i can give, considering Marty O'Donnell is a badass.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have to disagree with Pixie for once on this one... I really like the solo cello in the intro. In light of the rest of the mix, I'm fairly certain it was supposed to sound alone and out in the cold. The patches used for this mix really grabbed me too, they were very realistic, and it added a lot, so props for patch selection and production. Hope to hear from you again!

• 5 months later...

Very sweeping sound to this one; the strings sound very nice. I do think the transitions were a bit weak overall in terms of lines, and the stucatto brass section near the end I don't think worked at all, but otherwise I thought it was beautifully done, specifically your legato strings.

I recently received this game (though I can't play it on my mac), so I am unable to compare it to the source, but if it's similar to this mix, I definitely want to check it out.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01625 - Syberia "To the Land of the Great Mammoths"