Keyboard to FL?

Big0Jack

Alright, so a few months ago, my brother got this nice $200 MIDI keyboard. I attempted to plug it into my comp to see if it would work with FL (and as you should have guessed, it didn't).

The computer itself, however, detected it, but I couldn't install it (I didn't have the software). So after one attempt, I just said screw it and went back to whatever it is I do.

So, after realizing that my copy of FL has gathered quite a bit of virtual dust, I decided I might be able to get some help from this here forum, since I'd hate for all that $150 to go to waste.

It's a Yamaha PSR-E403 61-key Portable Keyboard, with USB compatibility (no FireWire, though). I have FL Fruityloops edition v.7 (or whatever the latest version is).

Any ideas?

Got the proper drivers (get them here)? It should show up in the MIDI device settings of FL. Also make sure it's turned on and recognized before you start FL.

Installed those, but FL still won't detect it...

EDIT: Bloody hell, just as I posted that, FL picked it up. Well, I'm not complaining...

Well, I can play the samples from my comp using the keyboard now, but I can't get it to record. It keeps telling me to adjust my audio settings....

Well, so long as it's selected as the midi device in the midi settings menu and you have the proper firmware then I'm not entirely sure. Here's something you could try though, I'm sure you've already thought of it but make sure that your keyboard is turned on before booting up FL, it really bothers me that unless mine is on when I enter FL, I can't get it to pick it up if I turn it on afterwards.

sounds like you're doing an audio clip recording.. i noticed that typically happens with a stardard wav file. so when you're recording, its possible that using something like Edison isn't the best choice. this is all figurative though... you can't get it record like a regular MIDI input (like a drum pad) where it just counts off the time signature then begins recording your key presses? if you're doing that, it should translate directly into the piano roll... i'll try and help as much as possible, i need to setup my Yahama keyboard with FL7 as well and maybe see if i run into similar problems.