Faron Woods Remix (what do you think?)

SageQuartz

I've been working on a mix of the Faron Woods music myself, tho that's far more an orchestral/non-electronic tune. It's a great source material to base something on.

I don't like how the drums go in the transition at about 0:45, and since the drums are kind'a prominent in the mix, that could be a problem. What's good about it is that the recognizable background notes come into play there, as the drums step back.

At 1:05 the m ain theme begins to play. You don't make a big deal out of it, it just appears. Further on, there's some harmonic problems with the higher-pitch piano notes, the background synth sounds, and the theme, it's most prominent at 1:28 and 1:35.

2:05 - enter the mid section. Nothing to say about that. It's not bad, but with the drums as loud as they are, they sort'a cover the rest of the music. That kills much of the dynamics that this material could do.

2:45 - finally, the drums stopped for ten seconds. Instantly, the song sounded better. What does that tell you? The drums are too loud. They're otherwise good sounding, they're just too loud.

The ending is good, I like how you've found an original arrangement that fits the feel of the song. And that arrangement fits the ending perfectly.

Dynamically, this song needs work. Bring down the drums and find some other instrument that can drive the song at different places. The drums are good (except in the transition at 0:45), just too loud, so bring them down and see what other instrument you could use to drive the song. The piano can do this quite well, and the woodwind playing the theme can do that as well - where it does play.

I can't say I'm fond of this way of blending synthetic and orchestral instruments, but it works, and it's not half as bad as I thought it'd be when I started listening. That's a compliment. ;) I'd say this song is worth submitting, once you've worked out these little issues, but do post here on the WIP forum first, just in case.

• 6 months later...

Well, it's been a long time... I had to stop this project for almost a year because my computer caught a virus, and now it's been a pain trying to finish this song X'

But finally, after a few runarounds, I got it all together and tried to finish it.

I made two versions:

Added/Replaced Instruments

http://h1.ripway.com/SageQuartzRemix/TwilightForest_Ver.2.mp3

I thought the drums weren't loud enough in the top version, so I tried to make it louder... I don't know, which sounds better?

http://h1.ripway.com/SageQuartzRemix/TwilightForest_Ver.2_DrumsAgain.mp3

The version with drums sounds awful, there's a shaker or something that's waaay too loud. The rest of the drums could be a bit louder than in the version with softer drums.

Anyway, there's some key clashes wit the main melody (on the ghastly pad) and the rest. The trance thing should change along with the chords, not along wit what sounds good when it's solo. That seems to be your main problems. All your instruments sound good on their own, but they're not working together.

All in all, it's not very consistant. The soundscape is a weird combination of sounds that you normally don't hear together. While that doesn't make it bad, the key clashes does. Try moving everything to really clear instruments to work on the arrangement, and them move them back. I'm talking piano, warm pad, square wave... Mostly piano.

Sorry I'm not being very positive. Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you. Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...
The version with drums sounds awful, there's a shaker or something that's waaay too loud. The rest of the drums could be a bit louder than in the version with softer drums.

Anyway, there's some key clashes wit the main melody (on the ghastly pad) and the rest. The trance thing should change along with the chords, not along wit what sounds good when it's solo. That seems to be your main problems. All your instruments sound good on their own, but they're not working together.

All in all, it's not very consistant. The soundscape is a weird combination of sounds that you normally don't hear together. While that doesn't make it bad, the key clashes does. Try moving everything to really clear instruments to work on the arrangement, and them move them back. I'm talking piano, warm pad, square wave... Mostly piano.

Sorry I'm not being very positive. Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you. Good luck with it.

Okay, I got most of it :)!!

Heh, though it might take awhile before you see an update ^^; Ever since the virus on my computer, it's been hard as hell to make this song :P