Can't open folders or browse the internet on my machine....

Dew

I just recently began experiencing an issue on my primary machine where any time I try to open a folder, regardless of method (I've tried doubleclicking, rightclick-open, going up a level from an inside folder, exploring), the folder will open for a split second, then immediately return to the folder I came from. The same thing is happening with my Firefox. My home page will open, but whenever I try to visit another page, it automatically reverts to the homepage. Internet Explorer has ceased functioning entirely. I'm rather boggled with what might be causing this, as the only change I've made to the machine recently was a new video card. Unless something malicious that's been dormant in my machine decided to wake up all of a sudden, I can't think of where I might have acquired this problem from. Whatever it is, it's totally disabled my ability to do anything with the machine outside of running programs from the start menu or desktop.

Anyone got any clues as to what the hell this is?

My google-fu failed me on this one. I have never heard of this happening before, and my suggestion would normally be to grab everything and do a new install, but since you cant open folders thats kinda a pain :/

Try:

1) Going back to the old video card. If the new card is somehow the problem then you'll find out.

2) Booting to safe mode and

a) Running virus/spyware scans

B) If the problem still persists, use safe mode to backup all your files and then format.