Studio quality headphones

superjoe30

Hey, I live in the US of A. Where is a good place (online or local business) that I can buy good quality headphones? I'm looking for headphones that plug into normal jacks that you find in computers or iPods, but that look kind of like this hfi550800dz3.jpg, meaning high quality and possibly noise canceling.

Anybody have any particular brands that are good or know of good deals? etc?

I suppose it really depends on what your looking for.

It's hard to find REALLY good headphones, speakers, or any other kind of stereo device for cheap.

There are some things that do come at better prices, but you usually have to do some searching for the good deals.

For a good deal on price, availability, and quality...Look for Altec Lansing. You can find them in just about any good computer supplier (Comp USA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc etc), and they (usually) won't break the bank.

For something thats more expensive, but definitely works well, look for some of the nice Noise-Canceling phones sold by Bose. You can buy them online from their web-site, www.bose.com. They provide a very nice, functional noise-canceling system, and have good stereo quality...but are definitely more expensive (couple hundred dollars if memory serves)

As is the case with all stereo systems...the skies the limit. You can find yourself REALLY good speakers and headphones if you look around...but the better they are, the more the price sky-rockets as well.

If there is a local audio store in your area, have a chat with them...they can hook you up with all sorts of stuff that I havn't mentioned, give you price ranges, and tell you which and where to find the kinds of stuff your looking for.

Active noise-cancelling headphones are generally not very good for mixing and mastering (with the possible exception of the Sony ones). Bose QC's in particular, while they are badass for plane rides, make no attempt to give you a transparent sound, which is what you need. So unless you have major construction racket by your house or something, I'd shy away from those.

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's are also a good $100 pair, and they're fairly well-padded, so if you're trying to block out noise from your computer fan or air conditioner, they'll be fine.