OCR00818 - Mega Man 3 "Blue Reflection"

orkybash

this is awesome... however...

I have some probs with the way it acts as a depressant... I can't handle it sometimes... GAH! this thing never fails to make me melancholy like

10/10

( :( ) now I am also feeling very lonely listeningto this...

well professor yo-yo is signing off with a 10/10

+ very nicely done capturing the mood

- I am reminded of my perpetual lonliness by this song...

• 3 months later...

Ahhh... if my heart wasn't already beholden to another, you would have it. Well, actually, just the image of you that this song creates. I've never actually met Starla before so it would be kind of silly... okay enough with blind internet love. On to the Remix!

This gives you that sense of melancholy and longing that makes me say crazy things like the above statements. I really adore this track. It's a very hard piece to wirte lyrics to, let alone sing them, and it is sung beautifully.

HOWEVER! I agree with you, injury, when you say that this could have been recorded better. Louder, and with more emotion. Yes, more emotion. A lot of the sadness of this song comes from the background music. Listen to the pure version, and you'll see what I mean. Yet, the voice adds in something so much more sincere and wonderdul... Please please do it again! I know you can! You know you can!

Zipp

• 1 month later...

w... wow... there's an amazing beauty within Starla's voice that just... I'm sure any guy here could fall in love with her just from this song. her voice is sweet, yet holds a horrible sadness as if the words in the song are her true feelings. if I wasn't at school, it's likely tears would be falling from my eyes after hearing this.

just.. wow. thank you again, Starla!

• 1 month later...

Wow. I'm a fairly emotionless person, and this song made me sniffle a little, thinking about my own inter-personal issues. A well-done rendition of this piece.

My only real negative thoughts are that one, your voice tends to get a little wobbly here and there. Part of it could be the emotion you've said you were feeling during this song. I can understand that; I've been involved with singing for many years and I know how nearly any factor can alter your sound; emotion, exhaustion, even recent consumption of chocolate and/or milk. I don't blame you for that.

The only other problem I have is that the lyrics on the download page are incomplete! I wouldn't mind learning this song to sing on my own, so I'm going to have to piecemeal out the last half of the song.

Otherwise, excellent piece Starla! Definitely worth a high grade by anyone.

• 6 months later...

Greetings and pleasant holiday hellos to those who'd have them.

I first downloaded the "Blue Reflection" remix on July of this year (2005). Since then, I've proudly kept it as a part of my music library, so to speak. The saxophone at the beginning seemed to reach out and pulled me into the music, which was highlighted by what I considered to be a wonderful piano tune. The lyrics also a very nice edition to the piece as well, and it felt as though Starla sang with true emotion. The music and lyrics together made for an unforgettable remix.

While I appreciate and adore this piece as it exists, I have been searching off and on for a while, now, for the "Pure" (instrumental) version of this song. Unfortunately, the only place that I could find that had it (Injury's website) didn't have it anymore, which is a shame because I'd like to hear it as an instrumental as well as a vocal song.

• 2 weeks later...

This song, no.... masterpiece is outstanding. The slow, jazzy vibe I get from this song everytime I hear it is wonderful. When my mother heard this, she thought it was an original song! Its that good! I have really enjoyed this song, and this remix is a keeper on my playlist for sure. The only thing I would have added would be a solo for the sax (I'm not sure, but it sounded like a soprano.

|GX

I was very impressed by the beginning, a very good sax that echoed enjoyfully. But the piano that followed was simply superb, along with a touching violin. It was a suitable tone for it, very bright, and those times where you rolled the keys instead of pressed was simply beautiful.

Your vocals may be low at some times, but the more power you gave your voice the better it sounded, like around 2:28, that was very good. Reminds me actually of the Little Mermaid, your voice sounds very familiar at least.

Different take on the Protomelody, but not in vain. Well done Starla/Injury, whatever.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A soulful...beautiful remix of an Inspiring Megaman tune, The opening makes you really feel and remember the game, To me makes me recall the few but sad moments in Megamans history such as Protomans Defeat where we all believed him to be gone for good, And the Vocals, Forgive me for not knowing who the singer is but the voice really speaks to me if not us all with that slow jazzy sound that I personaly think can speak to us all if we merely take the time to listen, Please Keep up the good work and contenue to share with us all, Thank you for the simply wonderful remix.

• 1 month later...

Dear Injury,

I have heard your song and it's perfectly describing how I'm feeling...over a lost friend, that I may no longer see. The fantasies I have been imagining, in the eyes of Mega Man, often bring me to tears when I play your song,

The saxophones and the starstriking blend of piano and violin make this song truly worthy of the "Protoman Whistle" concerto from Mega Man 3. Although I long to own the game from a gamestore, I think that when I pick up an old game like "Megaman", I think of the virtue, the teachings, in life and society.

Thanks so much for helping me (indirectly) to describe how I feel. I thought of asking you to email me, but it really depends on what the admins thoughts of that are.

NS

PS> I am starting to cry again just thinking on it. I wrote a poem describing my feelings. It's called "Friend of Time" and is a personally heralded poem. This should be read...could you email me @ phantomflashdance@hotmail.com?

Acquaintance, fan and all-around Megaman Fan, Kitsune Man. (Dame Alterna, Nintanda, I have lists of nicknames I use).

• 1 month later...

If I had any practical arrangement or vocals skills whatsoever, I would do a ReMix of this ReMix. I already have a concept in my head. It would be the greatest ReMix in God's creation.

I agreed with the criticisms of too much reverb and Starla's vocals needing a boost to cut through the soundscape more. Nonetheless, excellent stuff. That was the REAL birthday review, Starla.

Why, oh why will you not make anything new? Even just on the vocal side! :'-(

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm sorry that my feelings on this song as so contrary to those of the rest of you, but this is just a bad track.

She cannot sing.

It can't be said any more plainly than that: she doesn't have talent. Oh, sure, she's in key, but that's about it.

To put this into perspective, she's a week one American Idol cut. No, she doesn't even make it past the first round. No trip to L.A. No second look.

The song would be better off without her. If that fact sticks in your craw, so be it. Not every review has to be sugar and lolly pops. I believe the 'house special' here on OC is honesty, and that was it.

I'm sorry that my feelings on this song as so contrary to those of the rest of you, but this is just a bad track.

She cannot sing.

It can't be said any more plainly than that: she doesn't have talent. Oh, sure, she's in key, but that's about it.

To put this into perspective, she's a week one American Idol cut. No, she doesn't even make it past the first round. No trip to L.A. No second look.

The song would be better off without her. If that fact sticks in your craw, so be it. Not every review has to be sugar and lolly pops. I believe the 'house special' here on OC is honesty, and that was it.

Kind of ROFL to read that, because a certain singer has got an amazing vocal performance that's waiting to be posted, collabbing with another ultra-talented female newcomer. And there's some post production, but you don't get anywhere without the raw materials being good.

I thought "Blue Reflection" was pretty solid for the time. The vocals just should have been better positioned in the soundfield.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful, haunting instrumental elements that linger in the air like a haze, it feels like some of the ending songs to Metal Gear Solid that have that downright moody feel to them, but how you interpret the specific mood of the song can vary from person to person. If there is one thing that I think we can all agree on, though, is that this is emotive. You can argue mixing and performance quality as much as you want (I had a few issues with the technical aspects of the mix as well, but I'm not going to get into them since this is an old mix and I know starla has greatly improved her craft since 2002) but you can't deny that the remixer poured her heart out into this one.

Give this one a shot; you might find that the age of the song is a little off-putting but I still found it highly enjoyable for all it was worth :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Production isn't up to her stuff these days, since her voice is a little buried, but this is a pretty classy arrangement that still works well, and the lyrics are also good. The additional sections are seamless with the original source, and I really wish that I could hear her a little better, because the vocal performance is pretty emotional and has a lot of conviction behind it.

Check this one out for sure, it's still very good despite a few minor flaws.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Am I the only one who was incredibly disappointed with that sexy, sexy saxophone faded out for the piano? A Staffroll/Protoman remix of JUST THAT would totally make my day. This... doesn't really do it for me beyond that. If the volume was balanced, perhaps I'd still want this, but as-is, it sounds like the singer is just mumbling most of the time.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00818 - Mega Man 3 "Blue Reflection"