A Few Questions from a newbie...

I would like to try my hand at making a ReMix, this is, admittedly, just a whim so I've no intention of purchasing any expensive software or instruments to work with.

Should I give up now or can I still (potentially) make a ReMix?

Do I need to own the game from which I want to make a music mix, or is it possible to get the original tracks from the internet to work with?

Is this question applicable from both a practical and legal standpoint?

I have a laptop computer, so I'm stuck with the amount of RAM, etc. at my disposal, which mixing software would be most advisable for a complete beginner with no technical experience and limited computer power?

Do I need to own the game from which I want to make a music mix, or is it possible to get the original tracks from the internet to work with?

Is this question applicable from both a practical and legal standpoint?

If you keep it to yourself, nobody will bother you about downloading the official soundtrack. For older stuff though the formats like .nsf and .vgm etc, go nuts.

You can make music for free. Check here to see what you can get for 0円

First of all, audio software isn't always that expensive, and whatever the pros use can still be useless in your own hands.

Additionally to keeping it for yourself: you waive the right to ask for help (sort of). If whatever you get doesn't have a manual: congratulations, that's the punishment of sin. This means figuring out stuff for yourself and experimenting for hours. Sucks? Not entirely - you'll learn your application intimately and find creative ways around limitations, provided that you compensate any lack of funding with an abundance of enthusiasm.

Owning the game is not relevant to listening to the music.

Remixes are derivative works - tributes to their originals and therefore fall under the same laws. You can't claim them as your own, and you can't make money with 'm unless you talk with the original publisher.

As for limited CPU power - Reason.