OCR 'Must-Have Games' List: -Part TWO-

sephfire

*long sigh* Let me see if I can actually remember all of this...

Playstation

Ace Combat 2

Tomba!

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

R-Type

R-Type Delta

Valkyrie Profile

Final Fantasy 5

Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 9

Final Fantasy Tactics

Darkstalkers 3

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

Metal Gear Solid

Ape Escape

Gradius Gaiden (Bardic Knowledge is right on this one. Import it and smile)

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Mega Man X4

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Megaman 8 Anniversary Collection

Need For Speed III

Need For Speed: High Stakes

Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo 2

Ridge Racer

Ridge Racer Revolution

Rage Racer

Ridge Racer Type 4

Nintendo 64

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Mario Kart 64

Super Mario 64

Star Fox 64

GoldenEye 64

Perfect Dark

Diddy Kong Racing

WWF No Mercy (It's great for trash-talkin' your friends and making great laughs)

Super Smash Bros. (No one mentioned this one...:-()

Mischief Makers

Command and Conquer

Sega Saturn

Guardian Heroes

**I know of no other games...**

Game Boy Advance

Super Dodgeball Advance (...strangely addictive...)

Pokes G/S/C

Golden Sun

Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age

Mario Kart Super Circuit

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past & 4 Swords

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Riviera: The Promised Land

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3

PC

Doom

Doom 2

Final Doom

...And I'm done.

N64

Only two nominations that haven't been said

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

These were pretty good, you guys. Did you block them out because of the star wars name attached to them?

Everything I'd nominate for PSX has already been done

PC-wise

Total Annihilation, DK1 and 2, Doom1/2, and most of the FPS's there are seconded.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Streets of Sim City/Simcopter(They were so horrible yet addictive)

Theme Hospital

Shadow Warrior

System Shock 2

Blood

Prey(Say what you want, I liked it)

Star Wars KoTOR 1

Quake II(I don't have 3 or 4 to recommned)

Galactic Civilizations 2

Lands of Lore III

Thats it for now.

Sephfire, I'd like to make a request to split PC nominations into two categories: "old" and "new", if you will, with "new" being defined as everything after and including Unreal Tournament (Christmas season '99).

That way it's easier to vote on things like the original Prince of Persia and Diablo 1 without having to consider a million newer and easily much better games.

Sephfire, I'd like to make a request to split PC nominations into two categories: "old" and "new", if you will, with "new" being defined as everything after and including Unreal Tournament (Christmas season '99).

That way it's easier to vote on things like the original Prince of Persia and Diablo 1 without having to consider a million newer and easily much better games.

I might. Since I usually look up info on all the games during the voting stage, I may make a division like this at that time. Of course, when voting time comes around, there's no point in counting a game's age against it. Obviously newer games can offer experiences old school gaming couldn't, but they did great things with what they had, and that deserves credit. The first Mario Bros game may not offer a fraction of the experience that Mario 64 gave, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the greats in gaming history.

We'll get to all that later though.

Nintendo 64

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

007 Goldeneye

Gameboy Advance

Metroid Fusion

MegaMan Battle Network

Sony Playstation

Legend of Dragoon

Crash Team Racing

Brave Fencer Musashi

Sega Saturn

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Shining Force

PC

Marathon 2 (yes, there was a PC port of this game)

King's Quest 5

King's Quest 6

Space Quest 4

Phase Two -- VOTING --

We've had time to nominate games, so now it's time to start pruning the list.

Here's how this part works. I will post a list of ten games every day, selected randomly. Once these games are posted, they are fair game for voting. I'll be keeping track of the vote count as we go and update this post weekly with voting progress.

VOTING RULES

1). All votes must include a few sentences explaining your reasons.

You can't just drop a "yes" or "no" on a game and call it a day. You have to tell us WHY you think each game does or does not belong on the list.

2). You can still make nominations.

I know that phase is "over," but there's really no reason I can't add a few more games to the voting cue. Especially since we're dealing with an enormous PC library.

3). Late voting is totally fine.

Just because you missed the day I posted a game and everyone else is voting on new stuff now, that doesn't mean you can't throw in a vote for a game I posted days ago.

4). A game must have at least two YES votes to be eligible for the must-have list.

If we can't get two people to agree that a game was great, then it probably doesn't belong on the list.

5). Changing your vote is allowed.

Because of this, debate and discussion are highly encouraged.

The first ten games will be posted later today. GET READY TO VOTE!

It begins.

********** Round 1 ***********

Banjo-Kazooie

Console: Nintendo 64

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Rare Ltd.

Meta Score: 9.2

Ogre Battle 64

Publisher: Atlus Co.

Developer: Quest

Meta Score: 8.2

Legend of Mana

Console: Playstation

Publisher: SquareSoft

Developer: SquareSoft

Meta Score: 7.3

Mega Man X4

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom

Meta Score: 7.4

Amok

Console: Saturn

Publisher: Scavenger

Developer: Lemon

Meta Score: 5.6

Panzer Dragoon

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Team Andromeda

Meta Score: 9.1

Commander Keen I: Marooned on Mars

Console: PC

Publisher: Apogee Software, Ltd.

Developer: Id Software

Meta Score: 5.0

Planescape: Torment

Publisher: Interplay

Developer: Black Isle Studios

System Shock

Publisher: Origin

Developer: Looking Glass

Meta Score: 9.3

Mario Kart Super Circuit

Console: GBA

Developer: Intelligent Systems

And now for my vote. On the only one of these games I actually played, heh. :oops:

Banjo-Kazooie - YES

Awesome, awesome platformer. The different worlds all looked great and the whole game just felt right. The soundtrack is still one of the best I've ever heard. This could almost give Mario 64 a run for its money as the N64's greatest platformer. Almost.

LET'S HAVE SOME VOTES. :<

N64:

Goldeneye 007

Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire (i think that's what its called)

PS:

FF7/8

Gran Turismo 2

Fear Effect

MegaMan X5

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Tenchu

Rival Schools

PC:

Half-Life 1/2

Space Quest (all)

Tribes

Battlefield 1942

maybe some more later if i think of something in particular

Banjo-Kazooie

Developer: Rare Ltd.

Meta Score: 9.2

Ogre Battle 64

Publisher: Atlus Co.

Developer: Quest

Meta Score: 8.2

Legend of Mana

Publisher: SquareSoft

Developer: SquareSoft

Meta Score: 7.3

Mega Man X4

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom

Meta Score: 7.4

Amok

Publisher: Scavenger

Developer: Lemon

Meta Score: 5.6

Panzer Dragoon

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Team Andromeda

Publisher: Apogee Software, Ltd.

Developer: Id Software

Meta Score: 5.0

Planescape: Torment

Publisher: Interplay

Developer: Black Isle Studios

System Shock

Publisher: Origin

Developer: Looking Glass

Mario Kart Super Circuit

Console: GBA

Developer: Intelligent Systems

wow I have not played a single one of those games. wtf mate.

Megaman X4 -- YES

The game brought one of the longest running franchises in gaming into the modern era with classic gameplay and a brand new twist in a fully playable Zero character with differentiated movelists and capabilities. This game also avoids the pitfalls the PSX sequels lose themselves in...but I'll discuss that when said sequels hit my voting table.

Legend of Mana -- NO

While I love the Mana series, I feel that this game doesn't have the charm that the original trilogy brings to the table. While Legend isn't a bad game by any means, it is not worthy of being on a "must-have" list when you see how high the bar is set for PSX RPGs.

Megaman X4

Up through X6, I played and beat every Megaman game (aside from Megaman Legends and any of the Battle Network games with the exception of Network Transmission). X4 was the first Playstation MMX game, and in my opinion it was the only one that did the series justice. It was a game I bought immediately for the system when I got it, along with Megaman 8 and some Street Fighter II Collection, and the presentation and style blew me away. It was crisp and dynamic, elevated from the SNES incarnations, but it was really having the choice of playing as Zero or X that hooked me. Playing as Zero was always my personal favorite, since he got up close and personal with the saber and the abilities he acquired from defeating bosses manifested themselves in the form of Street Fighter-esque moves instead of seperate ammo-based weapons. Great times were had, beating this game over and over, unlocking everything, and trying to beat my last playthrough's time. Highly recommended.

YES

Banjo-Kazooie

YES

It's an awesome platformer for the N64 and always has been. It's the start of a great series so that is worth bonus points. Great worlds, good gameplay, and just a whole lot of fun.

Ogre-Battle 64

YES

Great RPG for the N64. A great transition onto N64 for the Ogre Battle series. It's a different style of RPG and upgrading units and using monsters is a fun innovation. I'm a little dissappointed they didn't bring across the whole card thing that the SNES version had though.

Mario Kart Super Circuit - GBA

Sadly..NO

As much as I love the Mario Kart series, I felt this addition for the GBA didn't really bring anything new to the table. Sure there were a few extra levels and stuff, it simply felt like MK 64 on GBA and it didn't make any real innovations that the installments for GC and DS did IMO.

Ogre Battle 64 - YES

This was an incredible game! The story is one of the best ever IMO. Great plot twists. If anyone was a fan of FF Tacitcs def give this a try. This sequel is better than it's legendary predecessor in almost every area. The graphics would still hold up today as appealing. The gameplay is simple yet addictive.

Legend of Mana - NO

One of the biggest let downs in games for me. But regardless of that this gets a no for a couple of reasons. The story is very thin and unmotivating. An rpg without a good story is just a game with a leveling system IMO. The 'build your own world concept' sounds good on paper but was not executed well. The gameplay is fun with the different combos and the music is good. This is def a game to rent to have fun with. It will not make a lasting impression though.

Mega Man X4 - Yes (Borderline)

Almost voted NO because the voice acting is so god awful and annoying I actually stopped playing for several occasions because of it. I could go get a drink while the cut scenes were playing but the voice acting during the game was a abig annoyance. This has way too many positives. The gameplay is fun as usual. It is challenging but no too hard. People will enjoy playing with MegaMan or Zero. Zero is really fun to play with especially as he gets his upgrades. Who doesn't like swords? The music is really good and enhances the mood per usual for MegaMan games.

Banjo-Kazooie

YES -- Probably the only Mario 64-style N64 game that can rival Mario 64 itself. Lots of big levels, fun characters, great nonsense speech noises ... the only thing about the game that is arguably bad is the focus on *ZOMG!!!1 COLLECT ALL TEH SPARKLY LOOTZ!!1* Rare's games tend to have problems with that, but B-K is not nearly as bad in this respect as some of their later games (coughdonkeykong64cough).

YES --

The success of Commander Keen as a shareware game led to the creation of id Software, who, at the timed, called themselves Ideas From the Deep.

That alone puts it among the must-haves. Still, back when I first played the game (when I was maybe around 6 years old) the floaty control and single-hit deaths were too much for me to handle, and I always went back to Duke Nukem. And those jumping blue kangaroo-looking guys were the most intimidating enemy ever.

Mario Kart Super Circuit

YES -- I'm borderline on this one. It's the best racing game that I know of for Game Boy Advance, which is the reason for my YES, but I never enjoyed it quite as much as the other incarnations of Mario Kart.

ADDITIONAL NOMINATIONS (since we need PC titles and I got in on this late)

PC

----------------

Project Eden

Descent

ZZT

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Riven

Cave Story

The Secret of Monkey Island

Deus Ex (never played it, people love it, no one's mentioned it)

Lemmings

Mega Man X4- Everything that needs to be said about this, already has. Great game from the graphics, to the music, the levels and bosses. YES.

Amok- One of the last games made by Scavnger, who was famous for the amazing work they did on the Genesis. Beyond the rather odd, but cool soundtrack, the gameplay is straight-up arcade-like. You fight both under water and on land with a funky looking mech that can go in both, while gunning down sharks, scuba divers, land troopers, airborne ships and the like. You've got plenty of different weapons to choose from, and some nasty encounters as the game progresses. The sprites used for the characters are remarkably clean looking, even up close. The game uses a weird technology to generate parts of the landscape, which looks noticeably more pixelated than the characters. But the core gameplay of move, shoot and dodge is still intact, and the challenge is certainly there.

It's been bagged on a lot, but I found it to be a lot of fun. Borderline YES.

Panzer Dragoon- Do I really need to defend this game? It was one of the prime reasons to own a Saturn when the game was first released. Nice graphics, an amazing soundtrack, great enemy design, a real challenge if you go after straight 100%s, and a storyline that leaves you both entertained, and baffled as to just what the hell's going on (it's explained for the most part in the later games). It's atmospheric as hell, and its world is surreal, yet very believable.

Great stuff, and a YES without a doubt.