OCR 'Must-Have Games' List: -Part TWO-

sephfire

Silent Hill - YES - This is the zenith of horror-adventure available for the Sony PlayStation. The game excels in graphics (in-game and FMV), in-game cinematic design, sound, and storyline. The dark and forboding overtones are restrained enough to let the subtle and disturbing undertones take root in the back of one's mind, which remain well after the power is off and the lights come back on. The game of Silent Hill is among the first to break away from tedium genre traditions, while reinforcing the elements that work. The town of Silent Hill is an open-world created to breathe and live on its own, allowing the fear and solitude of the environment to envelop the player. It's surprises come in expecting the unexpected and no game on the PSOne does it better.

Keep in mind that you guys can check the main post daily to see which games are still short on votes. Make sure there aren't any you missed in there!

******* Round Five: *******

Killer Instinct Gold

Console: N64

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Rare Ltd.

Release: Nov 25, 1996

Grandia

Console: Playstation

Publisher: SCEA

Developer: Game Arts

Release: Sept 30, 1999

Parasite Eve

Publisher: SquareSoft

Developer: SquareSoft

Release: 1998

Mega Man 8 Anniversary Collector’s Edition

Console: Saturn

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom

Release: Feb 28, 1997

Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Console: PC

Publisher: Interplay

Developer: BioWare

Release: Sept 24, 2000

Doom

Publisher: Id Software

Developer: Id Software

Release: Dec 10, 1993

The Journeyman Project Turbo

Publisher: Sanctuary Woods

Developer: Presto Studios

Release: 1994

Painkiller

Publisher: Dreamcatcher Interactive

Developer: People Can Fly

Release:

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Publisher: Atari

Developer: Chris Sawyer

Release: 1999

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Console: GBA

Publisher: Konami

Developer: KCET

Release: May 6, 2003

I can't actually vote on any of these, sadly.:oops:

Killer Instinct Gold (N64)- Back when the original KI came out, it was quite the attention getter. A whole new graphical style over the other fighters out there, insanely long combos, a voice over man who got way too excited about combos that were 7-hits and up... it was pretty different. Along comes the sequel, and its eventual port to the N64.

Frankly, it's not a bad fighting game. Plenty of endings, decent control (though I question Rare's tinkering with it and changing it over KI1), and some decent tunes. But there are a few things that keep it down. The character designs aren't all that great, the character animations are rather odd looking and stiff, the dial-a-combo gameplay is tired thanks to franchises like MK and Tekken, and the addition of "Fatals" is just blatant MK mimicking. And really, as a port of KI2, it's a bit lackluster because of everything they had to remove due to cartridge limitations.

It may not be a bad game, as it certainly can be fun. But a must have? I don't think so. NO.

Doom- Wolfenstein 3D may have started the ball rolling, but it was this game that signaled the birth of the FPS genre.

A simple story of Mars, demons and one lone space marine trying to take down the invading hordes... and I do mean hordes. Rooms filled with 20+ monsters trying to kill you, dark areas with mostly invisible beasts, a metric fuckton of ammo and weapons, huge demons that can kill you in a single hit... this game throws a lot at you. And when you manage to get through it all, you can try it again to find all the hidden levels and bonuses. But in the midst off all this chaos, you have simple controls that let you focus on the killing of monsters instead of trying to hit the right button to get the right weapon or item. You've also got a multi-player aspect that is still being used regularly by players across the world to this day.

Of course, all of this means nothing if the levels are dull, but that's not the case. Over thirty levels total in Ultimate Doom, and these levels start simple, but become much more complex as each episode gets closer to the end. They range from narrow sewers, to wide open areas with scores of monsters coming at you, so the game keeps things from getting too monotonous. Throw in the nearly iconic monsters like the Imp, Lost Soul, Cacodemon, and the Cyber-Demon, and you've got a diverse (but small) cast that's ready to take you down.

It's simple, it's violent, it's gory, and it's designed well. If this isn't an older PC must have, I don't know what is. YES.

Painkiller- So what happens when you die? For Daniel Garner, the answer is simple... you get stuck in limbo, and have to fight all manner of demons to try and get into heaven. Of course, you also get to chat with a topless big-titty woman, so I guess it's not all bad.

In this game, you fight a wide assortment of odd and downright "wrong" enemies. From skull-faced bikers, to monks with axes, and even electrocution victims in straight jackets that explode. You'll fight these things in huge cathedrals, grave yards, and hangars among other places. You'll also be faced with huge (I mean HUGE) bosses that will take a while to bring down. And as if that weren't enough, the game's weapons are as odd as it's inhabitants, with the stake gun that can impale enemies being one of my favorites.

Lots of enemies can come at you at anytime, so it's certainly not a boring game. It stick pretty much with what you'd expect from a FPS game in terms of controls, but it throws in tarot card that can grant you special powers which must be earned by accomplishing various tasks in each mission. Oh, and you can temporarily become demonic yourself after you collect 100 souls from the monsters you kill (this greatly ups the damage you do with your weapons).

It's not wholly original in terms of gameplay, but it is fun to play. It sits somewhere in-between Serious Sam (goofy story/characters and hectic action) and Quake (serious story/characters and not as hectic) in terms of design and such. It may not have been a ground-breaking FPS, but it was a good one.

Borderline YES.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow- The last GBA entry is the series, and it's the one that got everything right. Gorgeous graphics, nice music, a huge castle to explore ala "Symphony", an interesting "soul" collection gameplay twist, and a nice plot that finally brought the series into more modern times (chronologically speaking of course). The controls were good, and the added modes that came with beating the game gave it a healthy dose of longevity.

While none of the GBA Castlevania games are bad, it's hard not to see this one as the best of the trio. YES.

Doom: YES

How could you not consider Doom a must have game. This game single-handly popularized the FPS genre. Also, in my opinion, if you have played Doom you have pretty much played every FPS game ever made. This game had the graphics, sound, deep and challenging single player, fun and hectic multiplayer, and the mods. This game would probably be the world's best selling game if wasn't a share-ware file. If your a gamer, you must play Doom at least once during your life. Doom deserves every single bit of the legendary status it holds. It has influenced every other FPS game ever made and for that alone it should be considered a must play game. Do yourself a favor and play Doom so you can see how the FPS genre became mainstream.

And on the Sixth Round, OCR voted.

******** Round Six: *******

Mario Tennis

Developer: Camelot Corp.

Release: Aug 28, 2000

Ace Combat 2

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Release: July 31, 1997

Tekken 3

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Release: 1998

Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter *

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom

Release: Oct 22, 1998 (JP)

Battlefield 1942

Publisher: EA Games

Developer: Digital Illusions

Release: Sept 10, 2002

Curse of Monkey Island

Publisher: LucasArts

Developer: LucasArts

Release: Oct 31, 1997

Lemmings

Publisher: Psygnosis

Developer: DMA Design

Release: 1991

Star Wars: Dark Forces

Release: Feb 28, 1995

Unreal

Publisher: GT Interactive

Developer: Epic Games

Release: Apr 30, 1998

Iridion 3-D

Publisher: Majesco Games

Developer: Shin’en

Release: May 29, 2001

My votes:

Mario Tennis -- YES

Anyone who never tried this is missing out. As far as Mario sports titles go, it is second only to the Mario Kart series. The controls were simple, but the game was frantic fun. My whole family spent hours playing doubles against each other, which is something no other game has ever accomplished in my house. This is one of the N64's surprise gems.

Lemmings -- YES

Old, but still awesome. The basic gameplay was simple to learn, but you could find yourself re-doing levels over and over to refine your strategy. And the extra "nuke" tool to blow all of your lemmings to hell for their failures? Priceless. It made losing as fun as winning. :)

Star Wars: Dark Forces -- YES

For a Doom "copycat," it was surprisingly well-executed and fun to play. The weapons were varied, the levels were challenging and it was Star Wars. It all boiled down to a shooter that took everything great about Doom and added some Star Wars frosting to sweeten the deal.

Killer Instinct Gold: Yes

Ugh, i agree with everything that The Coop already posted, yet i have to give it the benefit of doubt.

For starters, the game handles good, the graphics are "nice", and the music quality is pretty good. Like i said, The Coop already said it all; the animations are not what they should be, the characters look unimpressive, but i really think the good outweighs the bad.

Not only that, howmany quality fighting games actually were there on the N64?

Doom: Yes

Ah man, a dead surt here. How could anybody not like this game, or find groundbreaking? Must i really tell why this game is a must-have?

Painkiller: Yes

While low on brains, this game is excellent. It's premise is just to keep shooting with bad-ass guns, at random monsters. What's not to like? It offers nothing more, and you get exactly what you want.

Although it's possible to get lost easily, it only gives you more time to look at the pretty enviroments.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow: Yes

The final entry of the Castlevania series on the GBA, and one that got everything right. Great music, graphics and gameplay. The soul collecting seems dull, but really adds to the gameplay instead of being a useless gimmick.

What more is there to say? It's a quality game that we've have come to expect from the Castlevania series.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow- The last GBA entry is the series, and it's the one that got everything right.

Not much more to say than that -- of all three GBA Castlevanias, this is the one that made me think "wow, this is epic." I'd love to post spoilers and talk about things...but that's beyond the scope of this post (and will piss numerous people off -- get an emulator!) YES

Doom: So, I shouldn't have to say much about this one. I read in a guide for Doom II that if you played the first one, you "probably think of it [the shotgun] as an old lover." Personally, I'm a plasma rifle man. :razz:YES

Doom

Publisher: Id Software

Developer: Id Software

Release: Dec 10, 1993

Doom is THE classic FPS. Simple gameplay, with plenty of different ways to tackle levels. Enough secrets to keep you coming back for more, on higher difficulty levels. Everyone should see how far the FPS has come due to this game.

YES

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Publisher: Atari

Developer: Chris Sawyer

Release: 1999

The first in a long line of 'Coaster Sims'. The gameplay was fun and decently challenging. Building rollercoasters has always been a dream of mine, and without a degree in physics, this was the best that a young me could do. Unfortunately, money and 'ridability standards' somewhat limited the creative scope of the mind. It's a solid game, but it shows it's age when compared to more modern incarnations.

Borderline Yes

Unreal

Publisher: GT Interactive

Developer: Epic Games

Release: Apr 30, 1998

Unreal was a fairly solid game for its time, but the real gem appeared a little later in Unreal Tournament.

No

Curse of Monkey Island

Release: Oct 31, 1997

The only thing lacking in this one is the blessing of the series creator Ron Gilbert. It's got all the charm of the Secret of Monkey Island, fantastic voice acting, solid artistic direction and fun puzzles that aren't too easy or too difficult. Everyone should give this one a try. Even non-adventure gamers.

YES

Legend of Dragoon:

The game is unbelievably mediocre. The storytelling is not bad, and the battle system isn't particularly droll either, but the game does nothing exceptionally at all. The graphics and music are pretty good, but it takes more than pretty pixels and nice sounds to make a game 'must have'.

No.

Ace Combat 2 (PS1)- The first game wasn't much to look at, but it was kind of fun. This sequel is where it really came together.

Very nice PS1 graphics for it's time, lots of planes to choose from, a more fleshed out story, better and more numerous missions... it jumped so far ahead of it's prequel, that you might question whether they were actually made by the same company.

A well-rounded, very fun package. YES.

Tekken 3 (PS1)- Nice graphics, some decent tunes, and it's got a big roster... but man is it's gameplay old and tired. Dial-a-combo is not something to base a franchise around, and the characters move more like marionettes than anything else. This game, along with 4, is where the series had simply become like Madden, and was just going "by the numbers" until it was given a needed shot in the arm with 5.

It's not a bad game, but the formula had gone stale by this entry. NO.

Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter * (import Saturn)- While not as attention grabbing as the first game, or as massive in roster as MvC2, this entry in the "vs" series holds its own well enough to be a lot of fun. The new characters change things up a bit, even though the ones replaced weren't all given equally good replacements. Beyond that, you've got the same gameplay that was found in the first one, and a bunch of new characters to try it out with.

Not quite as good as XMvSF, but still worth getting if you've got a Saturn. Borderline YES.

It's not

Unreal (PC)- When this game came out, it turned a lot of heads. Very good graphics for its day, good music, a wide variety of level types and enemies, and a rather nice single-player story (not all that common for FPSs in 97'). The controls were good, the weapons were fun, and the challenge level was just right. It gave a big face lift to the genre, and while it didn't do much that was revolutionary, it did everything quite well.

It may not be the "Tournament" that so many love, but this is where it all started, and it was a quality start. YES.

Iridion 3-D (GBA)- I'm probably going to be alone on this one too, but if you enjoy games like Galaxy Force II, and similarly done 3-D shmups, this game's right up your alley. Very nice graphics, good music and control, and it's just the right difficulty. The levels are varied well, and it's got enough levels to give you a solid play through, without getting drawn out.

It's old school gameplay given a new (and smaller) face. Borderline YES.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this thread moves too damn fast.

And you NO'd Legend of Mana? I don't know you people.

It had one of the most beautifully created worlds I've ever seen, a really effing fun fighting engine, and one of the best damn soundtracks ever. Also, there was all of the stuff you could do, like build golems, smith your own weapons and armor, raise monsters to fight with you, make your own magic spells, the list goes on.

I will agree that the world creation didn't have that big of an impact on the gameplay, but that's simply because it wasn't a big part of the game, it was just that way so that you could go through the game any damn way you wanted. Now that was one of the best parts of the game. You didn't have to help the dragoons with their war. You didn't have to help the Jumi race fight against extinction. You didn't have to participate in the magic school's missions all over the world. You didn't have to do jack shit.

You were free unravel the threads of story in the game any way you saw fit. That's what made this game great.

The main character was basically just a catalyst. He (or she) makes things happen but isn't really involved in the stories. But that's okay. There are too damn many RPG's where the only person who can save the world is some gay teenager from a small town that doesn't want to do the work because "he can't." There are enough emo protaganists in this world.

In summarium, Legend of Mana is a light hearted game that's damned fun and way too fucking underrated.

(This is all I can think of for now, I may add to it later)

Tekken 3: Yes

This game, in my opinion, is the best 3D fighter avialable for the PSone and it is one of the best ever. Basically if you played Tekken 3 you have pretty much played every Tekken after. Tekken 3 took the formula introduced in 1 and 2 and just completely refined it and made it the best it could possibily be. The gameplay is very deep and fun although I admit it might not be made for everyone. The introduction of sidesteps and position grapples really made the gameplay even deeper. It also introduced a bunch of cool new modes like Tekken Force and Tekken Ball. There is so much to do and unlock that this game could easily last you a long time. The graphics were amazing at the time. The sound was also very good with a cool kickass soundtrack. The gallery mode also adds a lot to the game by letting you watch every single one of the characters ending, listen to the soundtrack and as well as do that for the first 2 games. Thats right, you could watch all the cutscenes and listen to all the music of the first two. The characters are also very interesting and well designed. They each there own unique fighting style and personality. I'm sure everyone can find a character they like in this game. The Bottom line is that this game is good and anybody should at least give it try. It isn't the highest rated PSone game on gamerankings for nothing. http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

If you ever play at least one Tekken game in your life, make it Tekken 3 as it is considered the pinnalce of the series and the pinnalce of 3D fighters on the PSone.

Battlefield 1942 - YES

Pretty much invented a new category of FPS games, and did a damn good job of it if I might say so myself. One of the most fun multiplayer games in existence. Plus there were some awesome mods for it (most notably Desert Combat).

Doom - YES

Though IMO Doom 2 was better, Doom pretty much catalyzed the FPS genre and made it mainstream.

Painkiller - NO

Painfully generic FPS game. There is nothing "must-have" about this game.

Tekken 3 - Borderline NO

Tekken 3 wasn't bad, but I wouldn't consider it really "must-have." Tekken Tag Tournament or Tekken 2 would be better additions IMO.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

I love this game. In an era of awesome PC RPGs, this one stands out from the rest. As a D&D RPG, in has actual role-playing unlike the majority of current "RPGs".

The decisions you make have actual consequences, like which NPCs you'll be able to recruit into your party. Start acting like a dick with your goodie-two-shoes party halfway through the game and your party members will ditch you. In some cases, they'll even try to kill you. If you decide to woo one of the female members of your party, you can inspire catfights. The character interaction is phenomenal.

And, of course, there is the sheer amount of stuff to do. I spent an entire summer going from sidequest to sidequest, pretty much neglecting the main story. You never know what to expect. Going through some random dungeon and finding a black dragon at the end was an awesome (but deadly) surprise. Walking through a fort and discovering a chamber filled with a variety of golems, then figuring out the best way to tackle it so I don't get beaten into paste by the steel one, is extremely challenging and fun. And then I got to keep the fort as my headquarters.

Character customization is quite deep, and there are scads of sweet items to be found. From a throwing axe that acts like a boomerang, to a cloak that can make you invisible, to a cursed-girdle that changes the gender of your character (that was...unexpected) getting new loot is always an exciting experience.

And last, but definitely not least, is Minsc. The slightly brain-damaged Ranger/Berserker who is obsessed with putting the boots to evil is one of the most creative and hilarious characters ever. His animal companion, Boo, is a miniature giant space hamster (or so Minsc says). The other characters are also great personalities, but Minsc rises head and shoulders above them (literally, he's huge, as he enjoys reminding people). And now some Minsc quotes:

"GO FOR THE EYES, BOO, GO FOR THE EYES!"

"We will charge into the midst of the den of thieves and fling them about like pancakes! All that is glory shall be ours! And then breakfast."

"Boo is a fine friend, and powerful in ways you don't let yourself see! To insult Boo is to insult all things small that try hard. Oh, and Minsc as well."

(On giving a gold piece to a beggar)

"I would rather have given a sword. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, but teach a man to fight and he can chow down on the meaty marrow of evil!"

Civil Servant: Er... you look like one of those men from Rashemen... you're not here to ask for anything are you? Last time that happened, things got messy...

Minsc: Why? In beloved Rashemen, if things don't work we encourage them with a loving backhand of productivity!

Throw in the expansion (which I haven't even scratched the surface of) and it gets even better.

YES

It's RPG day!

******* Round Seven: *******

Paper Mario

Developer: Intelligent Systems

Release: Feb 5, 2001

Final Fantasy VII

Publisher: SCEA

Developer: SquareSoft

Release: Sept 3, 1997

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Publisher: Enix Corporation

Developer: Tri-Ace

Release: May 31, 1999

Dark Savior

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Climax Entertainment

Release: Nov 30, 1996

Deus Ex

Publisher: Eidos Interactive

Developer: Ion Storm

Release: June 26, 2000

Everquest

Publisher: Sonly Online Entertainment

Developer: Sony Online Entertainment

Release: Mar 16, 1999

Diablo

Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment

Release: Nov 30, 1996

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Developer: BioWare

Release: Nov 18, 2003

Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls

Developer: Square Enix

Release: Nov 29, 2004

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Publisher: Atlus Co.

Developer: Quest

Release: May 11, 2002

I'll vote later. On a side note, we clearly need more Sega Saturn owners in here. Coop is lonely.

Final Fantasy VII - YES

Was there ever any question?

Diablo - YES

Diablo is easily one of my favorite games of all time. Who would have thought repeatedly clicking on the same palette swapped demons over and over again would be so fun? Plus Cain is so totally doing a Sean Connery impression. "Shtay a while, and lisshen."

Everquest - NO

I think adding MMORPGs to the 'must-have' list is kind of a bad idea. And if we are going to add them, lets not add ones that have held up as well as Joan Rivers. Everquest was mediocre when it came out, and trying to go back and play it now is like trying to jerk off in a dirty river. Have fun getting the tapeworms out of your dick.

Dark Savior (Saturn)- From the folks that gave you Landstalker, comes a game that's somewhat in the same vein. It's an isometric adventure RPG, with a bit of simplified fighting thrown into the mix. The graphics are a mixture of nicely drawn sprites and well done polygonal landscapes, with good music and a decent story helping to flesh things out. The fighting is kept simple, and is played at the same isometric angle as the rest of the game, but with the characters blown up a bit. There's also something that gives the game serious replay value... parallels. There are five parallels in this game, with each one altering aspects of the gameplay, and the way the story pans out. Four of them are reached by accomplishing something at the beginning of the game within certain amounts of time, with the fifth one only being playable after the first four are done.

It doesn't have the charm of Landstalker, but it is a well made adventure that's enjoyable from start to finishes. Borderline YES.

Diablo (PC)- Click click click click click click click click click click click... that's pretty much how you play this game. Sounds boring right? Well, you'd be wrong.

Owing it's gameplay to the older arcade greats like Gauntlet and Robotron 2084, this game makes no attempts to hide that it's a hack 'n slash adventure. You'll spend most of your time fighting off hundreds upon hundreds of demons, zombies and other assorted beasties, while taking a break to gather up new weapons and armor, as well as various mana and health restoring potions. But just to keep things from being too straight forward, the game also gives you skill levels to climb through. You'll get better attributes, and new magics that you can level up through out the game. And these levelings will be needed, because this game's a bitch as you get closer to the end. The difficulty starts out nice, but climbs as you go. By the time you reach Diablo, the game's going to be in full-on ass kicking mode. Graphically, it's a bit rough in spots, and the CGI characters move a bit stiffly. But the backgrounds are very well done, and there are lots of little details scattered about. The music is wonderful, and the sound effects are good too. The controls are kept simple, making it so you'll only have to use the mouse for a good portion of the game. This also helps keep things moving at a faster pace.

Though I do feel the game's sequel is considerably better, Diablo is still a game that shouldn't be left behind. YES.

Final Fantasy VII: No

C'mon. The only reason why this game has become as popular as it is, was because this was the first big RPG that the new crowd who had just bought a Playstation could enjoy.

The game has it's highlights for sure, but other FF games blow it out of the water. Must-have? No way.

Killer Instinct Gold borderline YES

I'd say yes for the best KI to reach consoles. The combo system is something that hasn't been used again so far, so it makes this game kinda unique. The background of the game wasn't that original but the graphics were a jaw dropper at the moment. This version is somewhat gimped from the arcade version but still it's a fun fighter to play, and well, one of the best fighters released for N64 (there weren't many)

Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn YES

If you need an excuse to why this game is a must-have, you fail miserably at gaming. I only have three words for you: MINSC AND BOO. No amount of neverwinter nights can overcome that. Go get this game right now if you haven't played it yet. PC RPG at it's finest.

Doom - YES

Analoq says Doom is still his favorite FPS, and that's reason enough for me. But aside from that, a truly groundbreaking game, that was released so long ago and it's still fun to play? must-have indeed.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow YES

Yes and yes. Although not at the level of finesse as symphony of the night, due to the handheld's limitation, this is one of the finest metroidvanias ever made. Great graphics, sound and music, and a plot that is actually different from "dracula resurrected, send him to sleep" and doesn't sucks. Must-have in my book.

Tekken 3 - Borderline YES

I hate tekken with a passion. Always did since part 1, but hell, even I can't dismiss this game's qualities. The graphics were great, the animation was outstanding, and hell it even was fun. Tekken is somewhat a love it or hate it series but one can't deny the game has it.

Curse of Monkey Island YES

One of the best adventure games you will ever find. Excellent graphics, great and funny story, I mean, it's good old lucasarts. Graphics adventures are a dead genre now, and mostly everything that comes out now is crap, so the only option for us is to go back in time and pick this classics. And this is one of those that one should pick. Absolutely a must have.

Lemmings - YES

What can I say, the little bastards are addictive. A true puzzle game that will have you scratching your head for quite some time until you figure out how to make the little idiots to work together and arrive at the exit. Puzzle games often become a chore, this one is always fun.

Unreal YES

The guys at epic created the revolution named Unreal. It was a revolution in all sense of the word. Extreme graphics, Incredible gameplay, great sound, innovative and fun weapons, and infinite modding capabilities that were a big step up Doom's mods. Even more, Epic's commitment to the modding community led them to deliver tools like the UnrealEd. Anyways, this game is still great, and maybe the best single player unreal. Must have.