OCR 'Must-Have Games' List: -Part TWO-

sephfire

***Round 20***

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Especially for its time, this was an epic game and it brought the series into 3-D for the first time (and that was a big deal). How awesome was that when you first went into the overworld, walked around, then it changed from day to night and back again? Great story and characterization, emotion-evoking atmosphere, and a score that was an instant classic. The gameplay introduced things into the genre that became convention. Great game on all counts.

YES

Resident Evil

At the time, I remember how especially scary this game was. It was an atmospheric experience, and the camera angles chosen when entering a room really added to it. The thing I didn't care for, however, were the controls, and for me that's pretty much a deal breaker.

NO

Finally, seph does his job.

***** Round Twenty-Two: *****

Castlevania 64

Console: N64

Publisher: Konami

Developer: Konami

Release: Dec 1998

Final Fantasy Tactics

Console: Playstation

Publisher: SCEA

Developer: SquareSoft

Release: Jan 1998

Legend of Legaia

Developer: Contrail

Release: Mar 1999

GunGriffon

Console: Saturn

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Game Arts

Release: 1996

Battlefield 2

Console: PC

Publisher: EA Games

Developer: Digital Illusions

Release: June 2005

Commander Keen IV: Secret of the Oracle

Publisher: Apogee Software, Ltd

Developer: id Software

Release: 1991

Fallout 2

Publisher: Interplay

Developer: Black Isle Studios

Release: Sept 1998

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Publisher: LucasArts

Developer: Raven Software

Release: Mar 2002

Project Eden

Publisher: Eidos Interactive

Developer: Core Design Ltd

Release: Oct 2001

Mega Man Zero 3

Console: GBA

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Inti

Release: Oct 2004

****** Round Twenty-Three: *****

WWF: No Mercy

Publisher: THQ

Developer: Aki Corp

Release: Nov 2000

Bushido Blade

Developer: Light Weight

Release: Sept 1997

Front Mission 3

Publisher: Square EA

Release: Feb 2000

Legend of Oasis

Developer: Ancient

Release: Nov 1996

SimCity 4

Developer: Maxis

Release: Jan 2003

King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Hearts Go Yonder

Publisher: Sierra Entertainment

Developer: Sierra Entertainment

Release: 1990

Supreme Commander

Developer: Gas Powered Games

Release: Feb 2007

Taito Legends 2

Publisher: Destineer

Developer: Empire Oxford

Release: July 2007

Final Fantasy V Advance

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Square Enix

Release: Nov 2006

Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival

Developer: Capcom

Release: Oct 2001

****** Round Twenty-Four: ******

Perfect Dark

Developer: Rare Ltd

Release: May 2000

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Developer: Crystal Dynamics

Release: Aug 1999

Metal Gear Solid

Developer: KCEJ

Shinobi Legions

Publisher: Vic Tokai

Developer: Sega

Release: 1995

Marathon 2

Publisher: Bungie Software

Developer: Bungie Software

Release: Sept 1996

Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror

Publisher: Atari

Developer: Kamehan Studios

Release: Apr 2002

Unreal Tournament 2003

Developer: Digital Extremes

Release: Sept 2002

Wolfenstein 3D

Publisher: Apogee Software, Ltd

Release: May 1992

X-COM: UFO Defense

Developer: Culture Brain

Release: Dec 1993

Iridion II

Publisher: Majesco Games

Developer: Shin’en

Release: May 2003

****** Round Twenty-Five: ******

Jet Force Gemini

Publisher: Rare Ltd

Developer: Rare Ltd

Release: Sept 1999

Tomb Raider 2

Developer: Core Design Ltd

Release: 1997

Viewpoint

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Developer: Visual Concepts

Release: Nov 1995

Hyper Duel *

Publisher: TechnoSoft

Developer: TechnoSoft

Release: Nov 1996 (JP)

Battlezone

Publisher: Activision

Developer: Activision

Release: Sept 1999

Half-Life 2

Publisher: VU Games

Developer: Valve Software

Release: Nov 2004

Rome: Total War

Developer: Creative Assembly

Release: Sept 2004

Space Quest IV: The Time Rippers

The Pinball of the Dead

Release: June 2002

Shining Soul II

Publisher: Atlus Co.

Developer: Grasshopper

Release: Apr 2004

My votes:

Final Fantasy Tactics -- YES

Beyond the bad translation and unforgiving death penalties, this game had few weaknesses. Playstation owners must own this, no question.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast -- YES

Star Wars FPS with lightsabers that handle great? Customizable force powers? Sign me up. The online multiplayer was almost more fun than the game itself.

Perfect Dark -- YES

Refining the GoldenEye formula, the Perfect Dark campaign was brilliant. The multiplayer was great too, although the inclusion of bots could destroy the framerate. Still, it was fun, and the single player game was superior even to GoldenEye's. Buy it.

Half-Life 2 -- YES

One of gaming's greatest FPS games. Beautiful to look at, handles like a dream, and features a great method of storytelling. Also featured an insane physics engine (which is actually still one of the best 2 years later). Also: gravity gun. Great game all around that blows its prequel out of the water.

GunGriffon (Saturn)- Back when the Saturn still had that new system smell, Game Arts released this arcadey Mech game. It's gameplay is kept very straight forward, but what it lacks in depth, it makes up for with its graphics, very nice music, diverse missions, and its challenge level. Tack on a great opening cinema, and you've got a somewhat shallow, but quite enjoyable Mech game. Borderline YES.

Mega Man Zero 3 (GBA)- The third game in the series, and it's still a strong entry. The graphics, music, story, gameplay and challenge level are all still very good, and like the first two, it's a solid game from start to finish. YES.

Legend of Oasis (Saturn)- The Genesis got the first game, but the Saturn got the prequel. Gorgeous hand drawn graphics, nice tunes, a lengthy and challenging quest, deeper gameplay than the Genesis sequel (that sounds weird to say), more spirits to use, and a simple but good story make this a wonderful action RPG that should be played by anyone fond of the genre. YES.

Taito Legends 2 (PC)- The PS2 version had some issues, but the PC version suffers from none of them. As before, this compilations ranges from the popular (Darius Gaiden, Elevator Action Returns), to the odd but fun (Space Invaders 95, Puchi Carat), to the downright obscure (Frontline, Liquid Kids). But where the PS2 version had G-Darius, Syvalion, Balloon Bomber and Ray Storm, the PC version has Cadash, Bubble Symphony, Rayforce and Pop 'n Pop. All the games run very well (and seemingly glitch free), and like the first TL game on PC, this game also installs ROMs that can be run in MAME (dip switches and all).

This is a great compilation with something for everyone, and the PC version is basically bug free to boot. YES.

Note: This is a comment on the European PC version.

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)- What is there to say about this game? Great story, tough and challenging gameplay, great music, very good graphics for the day... it's a game that PS1 owners should play even if they're not big on the stealth gameplay. It's put together so well from start to finish, that it's a must have for sure. YES.

Shinobi Legions (Saturn)- Take the familiar gameplay of Revenge of Shinobi, dress it up with digitized graphics, beef up the music's sound quality, add in some super cheesy FMV cinemas, and here's what you get. It looks so strange, but it plays every bit as good as the 16bit Shinobi games. The bosses are a bit of a let down though, which hurts the game a bit. But the challenge level is pretty consistent, and there's a nice diversity in the level types you'll be running and jumping through. This game just makes it's way into the Borderline YES range.

Unreal Tournament 2003 (PC)- Wow. Where to start. Yes, the graphics are good. But this game is done and over with in a flash. The levels are small in both size and numbers, and they aren't very interesting. I can't help but feel this was simply a stop over until UT2k4 was finished, as it feels like a cheap mod more than a finished product by the folks who did UT99 and UT2k4. NO.

Wolfenstein 3D (PC)- The one that got the FPS ball rolling. The graphics were quite something back when it was released, and the sound effects and voices helped pull you into its simple visual world of Nazi warfare. The weapons were minimal (there's only 4), and the ammo was scarce at times, but levels were big, winding, and filled with just enough enemies to keep you tense as you ran through the halls looking for that ammo you left behind earlier. It's rough looking by today's standards, but it's a classic in the PC gaming world because of how well it was programmed and designed despite the PC limitations at the time. Good DOS stuff. YES.

Iridion II (GBA)- The first game was like a Galaxy Force II knock off. The sequel, takes a whole new perspective... literally. You're now behind and above your ship as it flies forward into and towards the top of the screen (think RayStorm or RayCrisis). The graphics are very good, as is the music. There are plenty of levels to make your way through, and there's a bigger selection of weapons. It didn't set the shmupping world afire, but bested it's prequel on pretty much all fronts. YES.

Viewpoint (PS1)- On the Neo-Geo, this game was a beast. The graphics were good, the music was funky, and the challenge level poking holes in the roof. When it came to the PS1, they redid the graphics completely, updated the music, and blasted a hole in the ceiling with the difficulty. It's a graphically gorgeous game, and it plays basically just as well as the Neo-Geo original. It's isometric playing field makes for a nice change from the usual horizontal or vertical shmups, and the music is still pretty good. But holy shit is this game hard. So hard, that some may never see the finish without the cheats. It's well done, but prepare to have your ego pummeled. Borderline YES.

Hyper Duel (import Saturn)- From the masters of shmups comes this great horizontal shmup. Technosoft made another fine shmup with this game, from it's great graphics, to the rockin' soundtrack, to the very nice ship designs, to the challenge that grows at a steady pace, it's a fine piece of alien blasting goodness. You also get the added bonus of being able to transform from ship to Mech, which also changes your weaponry. Add in the fact that Technosoft gave Saturn owners two modes to play in ("Arcade" and "Saturn"), and it's must have for the Saturn shmuppers out there. YES.

Half-Life 2 (PC)- So what do you get when you make a follow up to one of the more popular FPS games on PC? Well, you get much prettier graphics, better voice acting, a fun gravity gun, and some nice tunes. Unfortunately, you also get a less interesting story, less interesting enemies, and surprisingly, a lessened settings atmosphere. Sure, Ravenholm is quite cool, but the rest of the game just feels uninspired... especially that absolutely horrid, anticlimactic ending. It just doesn't stack up to the prequel like the hype would lead you to believe. It's not a bad game, but it's not a must have either. As such, Borderline NO.

The Pinball of the Dead (GBA)- I'm probably going to be alone on this one, but TPotD is a great portable pinball game. As the name suggests, it uses Sega's light gun-based The House of the Dead games as a source, and builds a pinball game around it. The game's graphics are well done, and the music is similarly handled. You'll hear tunes and voice samples from the original games, and you'll encounter monsters from the original games too as you play one of the three available boards. The challenge level's pretty high, but thankfully there's a password feature to help you out (which isn't as helpful as it could have been, since the passwords are a bit long). It's a strange pinball game, but it's fun. Borderline YES.

Shining Soul II (GBA)- The first game was a good start is combining the strategy RPG nature of the Shining Force series and more Zelda-like gameplay. But this sequel did a better job of polishing it up. Better graphics, better music, a bigger and tougher quest, more characters to use, expanded gameplay, and a better story, bring this game to step into the golden zone. Borderline YES.

Damn... I feel like I just wrote an essay.

Almost forgot.

Metal Gear Solid -- YES

A brilliant, top-notch game to kick off a brilliant, top-notch "trilogy" of four games (qualogy?). Strong storytelling and tense stealth action make this an easy game to recommend. If you hate stealth games, you may still want to give this one a try for the great story it kicks off. If you try it and still hate it, then never play a stealth game again. The Metal Gear Solid series is pretty much stealth at its finest.

Originally this line read "Damn, sephy -- making me write a lot today." But I'm finding that I haven't played very many of the games in these lists, making me feel kind of bad. But at least I get to go to bed now. :P

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast -- YES This game is sweet, that's all there is. Saber-fighting against rocket launchers and blasters...it's damn near perfect. Best use of the Quake III engine to date. Also, new game journalism.

****** Round Twenty-Three: *****

Bushido Blade -- NO the sequel gets it right, but this game's parry system makes the one-hit gameplay not function as well IMO, keeping this one off of the "must-have" list.

**Note that if it's not up for nomination already, I'd like to nominate BB2**

Final Fantasy V Advance -- YES A solid translation worthy of the game, and 4 new jobs (3 of which you'll actually get to use before you finish it)? Sign me onboard. Touched up graphics and an amazing sound out of the GBA are the icing on the cake to this classic RPG that never got the proper US treatment until this release.

****** Round Twenty-Four: ******

Perfect Dark -- YES the Farsight is the best gun ever. Also, stealing other people's guns and shooting them with them. Basically this is a slightly polished GoldenEye that you can play even if you don't have any friends...and it's still awesome.

Metal Gear Solid -- YES I'd say that every gamer owes it to themselves to play through an MGS game just to see what kind of cinematography is possible in video games. For me, playing MGS(2,3) is more like watching a movie than actually playing a game with how smooth everything seems to unravel before me. Unless I get spotted, that is. :P

Unreal Tournament 2003 -- NO Good grief, this should have never been released except as a demo to tide us over until 2004. No enforcers, no sniper rifle, no improvements over UT99 except some graphics. Boo!

Wolfenstein 3D -- NO While this is definitely a worthy piece of nostalgia that I would recommend to someone looking to find FPS roots, Doom is the one that everyone absolutely must play. There's just not enough variety to the enemies or levels here to warrant someone playing more than 3 levels of this.

****** Round Twenty-Five: ******

I suck at life, and don't own Half-Life 2 yet. Anyone want to mail me $50?

Oh, and I apologize in advance for the differences in fonts on this post -- I don't usually use this computer and I'm having a hard time editing things.

Castlevania 64 - NO

I did love this game when it came out, as there was nothing else like it for n64 at the time. But let's face it, the game was kinda boring, the characters are boring and the story was meh. Sure there were cool moments in this game but it's mostly a action-platformer that is very simple in its nature and doesn't breaks any new ground. The game is still good, but not a must have. Besides, it's sequel, Legacy of Darkness, is what this game should have been in the first place.

Commander Keen IV: Secret of the Oracle YES

This is were the series changed technologies and really improved the game. The graphics are now up to the times, the sounds are well done and the music is GREAT. Gameplay and controls were much improved, and it makes up for one of the bes 2d games in PC gaming history, you can't miss this one out.

Mega Man Zero 3 YES

What can I say, all megaman zero games were awesome. They just kept improving and improving, unlike their X coutnerpart(Although I've heard some bad comments about ZX, but I digress). Better graphics, deeper gameplay, the continuation of a very good story based on the megaman world, what else could one ask for? Solid action on gba, it is indeed a must-have.

SimCity 4 - YES

Some jaded people out there like to shun this title in favor of the older mainly because they like to feel old school or something, or say that this game is just improved graphics and nothing else, which shows how little they know about it. Well guess what, this is the best simcity out there, over 3000 and 2000.

Simcity 4 improves in just about every aspect and brings more stuff to the table, with kickass visuals to boot. It is a less buggy simcity, less prone to glitches (although there still are!) and overall a much balanced and complete experience. The usual simcity humor is there as well, and the new additions like advisors, complete and extensive terraforming tools, the ability to connect several cities, and many, many other things make this game the absolute winner and without a doubt the best city building/management simulator out there. This game is one of a selected few like UT2k4 and Covert Action that are an obligatory installation in every computer I've owned.

Perfect Dark - Borderline YES

It's goldeneye on steroids, that's basically it. It is not a bad thing to say though, this is an excellent FPS that boasts excellent graphics, great gameplay and really fun weapons. A n64 owner can't miss this one.

Metal Gear Solid - are you kidding me? YES

The start of one of the most compelling and elaborated series in videogame history. Groundbreaking in all respects, and STILL an impressive game, no one has a complete psx games library without this game, period.

Unreal Tournament 2003 - NO

Coop already said it well. This game was a mess, a mess that luckily got fixed in 2k4. No one should bother with this title and instead play UT99 or UT2k4, it's far away from those two in terms of balance, gameplay and fun.

Half-Life 2 - YES

It's simply a great game, with great story, great graphics, great sound, great characters, and overall, well great.

GREAT.

Rome: Total War - YES

This is one RTS that truly breaks the mold, and one of the best RTS games out there, way above the competition. This game mixes turn based strategy with Real time strategy to bring a really complex, deep, and YET easy to grasp gameplay that will hook you up and will keep you gaming for hours and hours.

It's one of those games that isn't happy with just making you build a base and obliterate your enemies between cutscenes, no, this game is about gameplay, and about fun. About building your empire and conquering every single empire out there by using your wit, strategy and courage. This game is about scaling the ranks of your own empire and make your family prosper and dominate, this game is about the roman spirit.

The graphics of this game are great, with animations that are very realistic. The sound is INCREDIBLE. It is one of the few games I can say that the sound and the music really makes you feel you are there. From the moment you launch your troops to attack you will be immersed, troops shouting, the accelerated march, the clash of the weapons, it's all made so realistically that I can truly feel I am right there.

This is also one of the few RTS games that truly deserve to be called an strategy game. In other RTS you can probably win by amassing a bigger army than your opponent and just launch them all in a zerg attack. In this game you have to outwit your opponents, you have to take great caution with your position, with the fatigue and morale of your troops, with who is attacking what, if you don't plan your moves and attack the right troops with the right army, you will be long dead in a blink. This is truly a real-time strategy game.

I've recommended this game to each person I know that is at least a bit into gaming, and I'll do the same now. GO PLAY THIS NOW.

WWF No Mercy: No

This game is awsome and easily one of the best wrestling games ever made in the history of video games. However, if you don't like WWE or wrestling then there isn't much reason for you to play this game. I honestly would recommend giving it shot even if you don't like wrestling but the fact is still that the game was designed for a specific audience, Wrestling fans. If you don't really like wrestling, there isn't much to enjoy in this game. However, this game is still great and I suggest giving it a little spin.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival: Yes

Come on, its Street Fighter II on a handheld. Seriously though, this game is just awsome. Capcom did a great job of bringing the legendary SSFII T to the GBA. The gameplay was great even though it was on handeld. The graphics where excellent. The color was a little desaturated but they made up for it by redoing most of stages, and by adding some cool new special effects. The sound is definately not as good as the arcade's but it is still good for a GBA game. All the new art in this game make it feel more fresh some of the other SF II games. If you have a GBA and want a cool fighting experience for it, just pick up Turbo Revival. You won't be dissappointed.

Metal Gear Solid: Yes

Man I hate stealth and I honestly don't care very much for Metal Gear Solid. However, there is no denying that this game is good. MGS is probably the game that got the PSone recognized as a big player in the console market. The graphics are good, the sound is good, and the gameplay was rock solid (even I don't like it). The story telling in this game was also pretty unique and advanced for the time. MGS is a really good game that anyone should try, even if you might not care much for stealth games.

Unreal Tournament 2003: No

Unreal 2003 should have never been released plain and simple. This game did little else but show case the graphical power of the Unreal 2 engine. The gameplay was a big step down from UT Classic and the weapon selection sucked. The maps where small and Assualt was completely missing. There is absolutely no reason to play this game. If you want the a real UT experience, just play UT2004 or UT Classic.

Half-Life 2: Yes

Half-Life 2 is one of the best FPSs ever made plain and simple. It was similar to the original but at the same time it was something completely different. The setting and atmosphere in this game are just awsome. The graphics are great even compared to many games out now. Half-Life 2 in my opinion still has the best looking Human NPCs in any game released to date. The gameplay is what you have come to expect from a Half-Life game but it is much more solid and more fast paced. The incorporation of physics into the gameplay made it very unique for the time and just added a lot of depth to already great gameplay experience. The AI is still very good even though it often seems like the original's was better. This game is pretty damn epic and it really does a great job of immersing you in the world it created. The method of story-telling used in HL2 still works great even if the story itself wasn't all that great. Half-Life 2 is just an awsome FPS that anybody should play.

Fallout 2 - DEAR GOD YES

Great PC RPG, or Greatest PC RPG? Fallout 2 was fucking fantastic, end of story. One of the best games of all time.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - YES

One of only a small number of FPS games I've been into enough to play it from start to finish in one sitting. Also kickass multiplayer.

SimCity 4 - NO

More of the same typical Sim City gameplay, with enhanced graphics. Maybe it's just me, but I find the SimCity formula both frustrating and boring.

Metal Gear Solid - FUCK YEAH BITCHASS

Another one of the best games of all time. As if there was any question.

Wolfenstein 3D - YES

I almost want to vote against this because it's so outdated it hurts. It's almost painful to go back and try to play it now. BUT, I remember playing it when it first came out, and that nostalgia is still there. It's still a decent game, and definitely an originator.

Half-Life 2 - YES

Not only is Half-Life 2 a great game, it shows how sequels should be done. A+ would play again (and do, regularly). The only problem with Half-Life 2 is Steam (fuck Steam, srsly). But it wouldn't be fair to vote against it for that reason alone.

NiGHTS (Saturn)- HELL YES. What gets to me about NiGHTS is the atmosphere. The game is so out there it's almost magical. The graphics might not stand the test of time that well but it's still somewhat visually appealing because of the use of colors and textures on the characters and playing fields.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)- Coop summed it up for me, except I loved the music. Yes, it wasn't as grand as PD but it was still fantastic for my ears. YES

Panzer Dragoon (Saturn)-Yes, I know I fliped them, but I forgot to post about PD. Dragoon 1 was the first game that I played on an import Saturn. It was THE reason I got a saturn when I was able to afford it (I was only 12 when the Saturn came out), that and the arcade hits. yes

Thank god, another Saturn owner. I thought we might have to drop the Saturn category entirely until you showed up. :razz:

***** Round Twenty-Six: *****

Harvest Moon 64

Publisher: Natsume

Developer: Victor Interactive

Release: Nov 1999

Einhander

Release: May 1998

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure

RayStorm

Publisher: Working Designs

Developer: Taito Corporation

Release: Dec 1999

Dungeons & Dragons Collection *

Release: Mar 1999 (JP)

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Developer: Ion Storm

Release: Dec 2003

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars

Developer: EA LA

Release: Mar 2007

Final Doom

Publisher: GT Interactive

Release: May 1996

King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

Release: 1992

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland

Developer: HAL Labs

Release: Dec 2002

***** Round Twenty-Six: *****

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars -- YES This one is the finest C&C game to date -- they managed to balance the three factions fairly well, and everything is still fun. With this many UI improvements, I'm willing to say that this one is better than Starcraft (sorry everyone, it's still awesome, but the UI for it is terrible in comparison).

Final Doom -- NO If you've played through Doom II, then you really don't need to play through this one -- it's more of the same with nothing changed. Still not bad, but doesn't have the intensity that the base game does.

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland -- YES A 16-bit remake of Kirby's Adventure? With MetaKnight playable? Fuck yes. Buy it now.

If you drop the Saturn category sephfire, I'll hunt you down and make you play through the entire game of Soul Fighter in one sitting.

Einhander (PS1)- Back when Square was into making games, and not simply milking the Final Fantasy tit like it was hentai starring Tifa, they were trying out different genres. One of those genres, was shmups. The end result, was a fantastic game that pushed the PS1, and offered gamers a great experience. Wonderful graphics, cool music, wild ship designs, stages that flowed into each other, great bosses, a solid challenge, an interesting weapon system... it was a well made game from beginning to end. If you own a PS1 or a PS2, and you even kind of like the genre, you owe it to yourself to play this polygonal horizontal shmup. YES.

RayStorm (PS1)- Another shmup, only this time it comes from Taito. Working Designs brought this to The States, and it's a good thing they did. This sequel to Galactic Attack sports some nice graphics, good tunes, an angled "into the screen" perspective with the ability to launch homing lasers at objects below you (and there will be many of those), tough bosses, and a choice of ships with different weaponry. It didn't set the shmup world on fire, but it is a solid game that delivers. YES.

Dungeons & Dragons Collection (import Saturn)- Back when Capcom had the D&D license, they made a couple arcade games that were much like Golden Axe... lots and hack 'n slash action, but mixed with magic spells that anyone somewhat familiar with the D&D world will recognize. The end result, was a pare of games that had smooth animation, big and tough bosses, good tunes, a vicious challenge, cool character designs, and multiplayer support. This compilation has both of these games together. The first one, Tower of Doom, doesn't require the 4MB expansion cart, and as a result, the animation isn't as smooth as the arcade's (though it is still good). The second one, Shadow Over Mystara, does require the cart, and the animation is quite improved thanks to it. However, what hurts this game, is how often it loads... a lot. Every scene switch requires a loading pause that ranges from 3-4 seconds, to about 10-plus. Why? Beats the hell out of me, but considering how long this game sat in development limbo before it was finally released, I get the feeling it never got the optimization that other Capcom games using the 4MB expansion cart received.

Despite this, the games within are great playing ones. Just have something to sip nearby for those extended breaks in the action. Borderline YES.

Final Doom (PC)- Developed by Team TNT, this game is much more like an expansion pack for Doom II than a sequel... but what an expansion pack it is. Two new episodes at a hefty 30-plus levels each, new music for one of the episodes, well designed levels, and a good challenge make for some fun blasting action. It adds no new monsters, no new weapons, and it lacks some of the spark that made UD and DII so memorable. But, considering how well this "expansion" was made, and how intense even the very first levels can get (let alone the later ones), it's great play for anyone who's still a fan of the first two games. Borderline YES.

Two days on schedule. A new record?

***** Round Twenty-Seven: *****

Rampage 2: Universal Tour

Publisher: Midway

Developer: Avalanche Software

Release: Mar 1999

Vagrant Story

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

Developer: Atlus Co.

Release: Dec 2000

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

Developer: Naughty Dog

Release: Oct 1998

Blast Wind *

Publisher: TechnoSoft

Developer: TechnoSoft

Release: Jan 1997 (JP)

IL-2 Sturmovik Series: Complete Edition *

Publisher: Ubisoft

Developer: Ubisoft

Release: Mar 2006 (EU)

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries

Developer: Activision

Psychonauts

Publisher: Majesco Games

Developer: Double Fine Productions

Release: Apr 2005

Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Publisher: MicroProse

Developer: MicroProse

Release: 1995

Mega Man Battle Network 2

Release: Jun 2002

Psychonauts -- BIG YES

There are very few games in existence that are truly funny. Psychonauts is one of the proud few. Well-written, fun and aesthetically creative, this game deserved far more sales than it got. The game is truly brilliant. If you don't believe me, listen to Yahtzee.

Blast Wind (import Saturn)- Another great game by Technosoft. This time though, it's a vertical. Nicely detailed graphics, good tunes, branching levels, a solid challenge, goos ship designs... it's a well crafted game by one of the former greats in the shmup world. YES.

IL-2 Sturmovik Series: Complete Edition (PC)- I don't own this game, but I do own the entire IL2 series. It's a fantastic flight simulator that allows you to play with either detailed physics, or simplistic "arcade"-like controls. The graphics are amazing, the physics are well implemented, the sound effects are great, there is a huge assortment of mission types to play through, there is a massive plane count, and overall, there are very few things to complain about in the franchise.

If you like flying games at all, and are a fan of the WWII-era planes and settings, this game is a must. YES.

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries (PC)- You know, I wish I could comment on this, but it's been years since I played it last. It refuses to run well on XP, so a refresher isn't really doable. However, I know it got a lot of positive reviews over the years. But since I can't remember too much about it, I'll have to abstain from voting.

Yes, I know I fell behind on updates again, but in my defense GUITAR HERO 3. :shock:

***** Round Twenty-Eight: *****

Army Men: Sarge’s Heroes 2

Publisher: 3DO

Developer: 3DO

Release: Sept 2000

Driver

Developer: Reflections

Release: June 1999

Colony Wars III: Red Sun

Publisher: Midway

Developer: Psygnosis

Strider 2

Release: July 2000

Sega Ages: Galaxy Force II *

Release: July 1998 (JP)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Publisher: Rockstar Games

Developer: Rockstar North

Release: May 2003

System Shock 2

Publisher: Looking Glass Studios

Developer: Irrational Games

Release: July 1999

Call of Duty 2

Developer: Infinity Ward

Release: Oct 2005

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Developer: Relic

Release: Sept 2004

River City Ransom EX

Developer: Million

Release: May 2004

***** Round Twenty-Nine: *****

Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Developer: Nintendo

Release: Oct 2000

DarkStalkers 3

Release: Nov 1998

Mega Man X6

Release: Dec 2001

Tales of Destiny

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Gradius Deluxe Pack *

Developer: Konami

Release: Mar 1996 (JP)

Blood

Developer: Monolith

Release: May 1997

Freedom Force

Publisher: Crave

Developer: Irrational Games

Release: Mar 2002

Portal

Publisher: Valve Software

Developer: Valve Software

Release: Oct 2007

SimCopter

Publisher: Maxis

Developer: Maxis

Release: Oct 1996

Super Ghouls ‘N Ghosts

Release: Sept 2002

***** Round Thirty: ******

Super Mario 64

Final Fantasy Chronicles

Release: June 2001

R-Type Delta

Publisher: Irem

Developer: Irem

Release: July 1999

Syphon Filter

Publisher: 989 Studios

Developer: Eidetic

Release: Jan 1999

Mass Destruction

Publisher: ASC Games

Developer: NMS Software

Release: Oct 1997

Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Developer: Bullfrog Prod.

Doom 3

Release: Aug 2004

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams

Publisher: Softdisk Publishing

Star Control 2

Publisher: Accolade

Developer: Toys for Bob

WarioWare: Twisted!

Release: May 2005

My votes:

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 -- NO

Fun, but not must-have material by a long shot. The novelty of fighting army men is entertaining, but there's not too much beyond that.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City -- YES

Just take everything good said about GTA III and set it in a Scarface-style 80's coastal city. Easy YES.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask -- YES

Not my favorite installment of the series, but Ocarina of Time is a tough act to follow. It's still Zelda, and a solid entry at that.

Portal -- CAKE

Portal puzzle brilliance. Plus some great dark humor to keep you giggling all the while. And possibly the best final boss fight and end credits of any game ever. HUGE SUCCESS.

Super Mario 64 -- YES

This is still one of the greatest games in existence. Possibly still the greatest 3D platformer out there. You would have thought the transition from 2D to 3D gaming would have taken some time to iron out, but Nintendo just nailed it from the start.

Doom 3 -- NO

Not a bad shooter at all, but not quite special enough to merit must-have status. There are far more deserving shooters to fill those slots.

Super Mario 64 - YES, of course. This is actually a must-own game, not just one that's 'worthy of purchase' It's tons of fun and has a cool atmosphere. There's tons of challenge and it will take a mega hardcore gamer to unlock all 120 stars.

Mega Man X6 - NO. A big fat gigantic NO. This is the worst of the X games, being slightly worse than 7. Poorly designed and uneven stages, unbalanced difficulty. It had weird systems that blocked out part of the vision and had little 'Zero viruses' attacking you in often unavoidable situations. Some of the bosses were tough while some can be destroyed by just standing and shooting rapidly. This game had every upgrade you could imagine, but rarely gave you situations where you could have fun with those upgrades because the rest of the game sucked. This game is a fucking piece of shit and shouldn't even be in the nominees. Mega Man X Collection and Mega Man Anniversary Collection are must own games (really), not this piece of crap.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - NO. This is a cool game, and it's fun to play. Unfortunately, there are many better Zelda games and non-Zelda gamers would hate it. The big thing that messed this game up (although the game was built around it) was the fact everything was time based. It sucked having to do things again and again and again. It's a must have for every Zelda fan, but for everyone else, it's a big fuck NO.

Wolfenstein 3D - NO. This was a fun game back in the heyday, but this game is now running on nostalgia alone. There are a bajillion FPS's that are much better in every regard. Yes, it's still fun, but 'fun' doesn't make a 'must own' game.

Time to catch up...

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - YES

The pinnacle of all "mech" games. MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries was a freaking masterpiece, man. Also the soundtrack wasn't shabby either.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - borderline YES

I'm kind of unsure how to go about the GTA series (especially the GTA3 games in particular) because they're ALL good, but each one is better than the last. However, Vice City still stands well enough on its own to justify voting for it in my mind. The 80s atmosphere was done extremely well, and it had that insanely addictive GTA gameplay. You can't really go wrong here.

Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask - borderline NO

Don't get me wrong, Majora's Mask is a good game. But it's too similar to Ocarina of Time, and falls just short of its greatness to justify being must-have in my opinion. Kind of a shame really because I still enjoyed the ever loving shit out of it nonetheless.

Super Mario 64 - HELL YES

Super Mario 64 is freaking incredible. I played this game for HOURS when I first got it, and I eventually ended up collecting all 175 stars or whatever. And even having done that, I still picked up the DS version when it came out because it's just that damn good.

Crash 3 Warped: Yes

Crash 3 is easily the best in the series and it also improves on what the first 2 did. Just like the others, Crash Warped is a very unique platformer. It is also pretty easy to pick up and play but difficult to master. Warped also adds a ton of cool new levels a stear away form the traditional platforming formula, like the underwater levels and airplane flying levels. Warped also has a ton of replay value with tons of extra levels and hidden collectibles. The graphics and sound for this game are also really good for a PSone game. Any PSone owner should try this game.

Super Mario 64: Yes

Come on now. To me Mario 64 is an easy no brainer just like Ocarina of Time. This game was very revolutionary for its time, had great graphics, great sound, great music, and most of all great gameplay. Mario 64 is like the definative platforming experience. Just a great game that any N64 owner should play.

Doom 3: Yes

I already know what people say about this game: its to simple, nothing revoultionary, or graphics aren't everything. Well Doom 3 does deliver a whole lot more than just graphics. Doom 3 may be simple but that doesn't mean its bad or even unworthy of being a great game. Just think of games like Pacman, Halo, and Guitar Hero, there simple but yet they are great in many peoples eyes. Doom 3 wasn't designed to be the next big revoultionary FPS. Doom 3 was made to do one thing and one thing only, and that is entertain you and Doom 3 does an execellent job. Doom 3 is easily one of the most immersive games you will ever play in your life. The atmosphere this game creates is just unbelievable and if you play the game right and give it a chance, it really sucks you in. It accomplishes this through great lighting effects, audio logs, well designed environments, excellent cut-scenes, and yes even the simple gameplay. The fact that the gameplay is simple allows you to focus more on the evironment the game creates. Doom 3 is also one of the scariest games you will ever play and for me it is the scariest game I have ever played. None of Resident Evils even came close to being as scary as Doom 3 for me. The graphics for this game, even compared to games now, are just amazing. The lighting is awsome, the animation is great, and the models are soo detailed. The sound is also really great even if the game does lack any music. But agian, the lack of music is another element designed to immerse you into the game. Basically if you have pretty powerful PC you really need to give Doom 3 a shot. Just lock yourself in your room, turn off the lights, put on some good quality headphones, and just let yourself get immersed into the game, you won't be disappointed.

Also keep in mind that everything I said applies strictly to the PC version. The Xbox port doesn't do Doom 3 any justice at all. If you want the a real Doom 3 experience, play it on a good PC. Also if you played the Xbox version only, I would strongly encourage you not to vote until you try it on a good PC first.

Another essay? Aw maaaaan... :-(

Colony Wars III: Red Sun (PS1)- The finale of the Colony Wars series, it ends on the same good notes as it began. Where part 1 had you on one side of the conflict, and part 2 had you on the other side, this third entry places you in the middle as a mercenary. Like "Vengeance" over the first one, this game takes a number of steps forward by refining the graphics and gameplay even more, and continuing to deliver a well done story and diverse missions. It looks, sounds and plays great, and it's a fitting send off to the space sim series time forgot. YES.

Strider 2 (PS1)- Why have one game when you can have two? This game features both a virtually arcade perfect version of the first Strider, and a very good port of the official sequel (not the one made by U.S. Gold). Both games feature simple and fast gameplay, good music, fun boss fights, and a very good challenge if you stay away from the unlimited continues. The second game has a lot of loading points, but like the D&D collection, it's not enough to keep the game from being a great play. YES.

Sega Ages: Galaxy Force II (import Saturn)- Short and sweet. That's the best way to describe this game. A port of the Sega arcade game, the Saturn version has all the levels and action that made the arcade game such a fast and frantic back in the day. The graphics are good, the gameplay is tight and straight forward, and the music is very nice. The only real blemish on this port, is that the frame rate is around 25fps, where as the arcade game was 60fps. As a result, it doesn't move quite as smoothly. Even so, it's still a fun, 20 minute ride from the heyday of Sega's sprite scaling arcade days. Borderline YES.

System Shock 2 (PC)- I'd love to 'yes' this game, but I haven't played all the way through it yet. So I'll refrain for now.

DarkStalkers 3 (PS1)- The Saturn had a basically arcade-perfect port of this. The PS1, got a port that's about as good as you can get. Yes, there's animation missing here and there, and the load times are present. But the graphics, music, gameplay and balance that made the third entry in the Darkstalkers saga such a great fighting game are still intact. If you can't get the Saturn version, this is the next best thing. YES.

Mega Man X6 (PS1)- Yeah, I forgot to delete this from the list too. As has been said, this entry pretty much dragged the series into rehash and disjointed hell. NO.

Gradius Deluxe Pack (import Saturn)- So... wanna play basically arcade perfect version of Gradius and Gradius II? Here ya go. All the graphics, tunes, options and difficulty that you remember are fully intact here. While the first game is a classic, the second game (which got far less attention in The States) is superior on all fronts, and it alone makes this package worth a play to any shmup fan. YES.

Note: There's an import PS1 version of this pack as well, but I've never played it, so I don't know how well it stacks up to the import Saturn version.

Super Ghouls ‘N Ghosts (GBA)= One of the better SNES ports to hit the GBA. This game looks and sounds very close to the SNES original. As a result, the graphics are wonderful, the music is great, and the challenge is soul crushing. The GBA version gets an extra bonus though, as it has a special mode that allows you to play through both the 'Super' levels, as well as the levels from Ghouls 'N Ghosts. This gives the GBA version a longer lifespan thanks to increased replayability. Good stuff, and a YES.

R-Type Delta (PS1)- The second to last game in the R-Type franchise (shmup-wise anyway), and a great game it is. The slower paced gameplay is in full swing with this one, and the challenge level is what you'd expect of the series... namely, it's a tough game. The graphics are quite good for that time in the PS1's life, and the music is well done as well. The levels are diverse and interesting, and the boss battles are good stuff too. It's a great shmup on the PS1 that comes damn close to rivaling Einhander for the best 3D shmup on the system. YES.

Mass Destruction (Saturn)- Wanna blow shit up real good? As the name implies, that's pretty much what you'll be doing. Buildings, enemies, trees... if it's on the ground, it can more than likely be destroyed by your little tank. The pyrotechnics are very good, and the challenge provided by the game rides that comfort zone between a little too easy and a little too hard. It's a simple game of making things go boom, but it looks nice, sounds nice, and is a fun game to play for a few rounds (it can get tiresome if you play it for several hours straight). Borderline YES.

Doom 3 (PC)- Another game I'm probably going to be alone on. So many people bitched about how dark the game was, like they expected buildings in a power outage with no windows to still be brightly lit. How dark the game is, is what creates its great atmosphere. Plus, it lends a degree of realism that many other FPS games seem to not address (lights always seem to be everywhere in there). The graphics are fantastic, and the redesigns of the classic monsters turned out rather well. Even the soundscapes created for the levels add even more to the atmosphere if you stop and listen to them once in a while. Sure, the controls and gameplay is as simple as the first two games, but since this game was intended to be a remake of the first Doom from the get go, adding in jumping and swimming and sniping all that wasn't warranted. If there's an issue that could have been addressed, it's the monster closets. They're a little cheap, and surely some more creative ways to bring the demons and zombies about could have been thought up. But, in light of the graphics, sound, well designed levels, and the game's thick atmosphere, it's a shortcoming that doesn't undo the game. YES.

Star Control 2 (PC)- What, are you kidding? This game is fantastic, and HUGE. Great graphics, wild characters, a massive universe to explore, melee battles, an interesting story, and decent tunes make this a fun game that's the best in the series. YES.

After thought...

How can Portal be a must-have? The game's not even a month old yet, and hasn't gotten past it's new game smell.