OCR00061 - F-Zero "Mute Radiology"

• 1 month later...

I recognize the good points about this song that people have brought up, but I much prefer DJP's funk style that he transitioned into later on. I think the pinacle of his funk work was the Sonic remix Love Hurts, though I'm also a huge fan of his folkier stuff, like Twoson Hits the Road and Jethro and Vash at the Millenium Fair. And if I'm comparing this to those, well, this doesn't stand up so well. I see how people could like it, but it's really not up to par of the kind've stuff we hear today. In some ways, it wasn't even up to par with what we used to hear. Now, I'm not bashing DJP. He's done some brilliant remix work, and consistently releases good solid mixes. His composition here isn't bad at all. But I'm not such a big fan of midi synth that I could, say, get up a rock out to this. I don't think I could even stand to listen to it again. Maybe my ears have been spoiled, but hey, I'm the reviewer here, so I'm entitled to give this a 0/5

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I give you a zero out of five!

I like the intro. I didn't like the main melody synth for awhile, but listening just now it felt fine. I even like the craziness of the discord section, except its exit seems kind of random (weird panning action), making it seem like he didn't finish that part all the way. Me of course finding out about this site quite early on, before the exodus. So I was used to this kind of music.

• 2 years later...

If most of the ReMixes I like are the musical equivalent of tofu and potatoes with a side of veggies, with the occasional bowl of ice cream thrown in, this mix would probably be something akin to those crazy Japanese candies with the edible rice wrapper; not only is it good, but it's experimental, does things with the basic concept that you never would have thought of, and is just fun to listen to.

I'm not trying to play webmaster's pet here, but djpretzel is one of my favorite contributors to this site, not just based on the obvious facts that he created and is in charge of it, but the stuff he submits is so musically innovative, like he tries new and different approaches to everything every time he sits down to create. It's very artistic and refreshing.

• 4 months later...

This sounds like it came out of some warped, robotic, vertigo-dimensional future - which, considering this is F-Zero, is quite fitting. A couple of synths practice their vowel pronunciations, some vibrate as a way of life, others do sneak attacks through volume and panning... it's a patchwork of experimental production that turns out deli-sauce. I particularly dig the expressive breaks at 1:10 and 2:40, as well as how previous riffs/sections act as a countermelodic balance beneath the silvery leads.

The beef of the source, entering at 1:33, is played in a sort of off-octave manner (not distinctly higher or lower than normal), ditching the original's grandiose, prize-money-is-at-stake feel for something more along the lines of "Captain Falcon's joyride." He's groovin' to the electronica on his hovercar's stereo, leaping off a cliff/ramp when he gets a hilarious case of Radio Treble Syndrome at 2:08 and crashing back on track at 2:14. Then he crosses the finish line - alone - beating his previous time trial ghosts that come whizzing past a second or two later.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Man, they were not kidding about the headphones thing. I actually kind of liked it though. It's a weird way to sort of add something to the mix without music itself. Sounds like you're going through a technical warp. A trick like that would be cool nowadays if cleaned up a bit more, but nice work all the same.

• 4 months later...

hee this is so cool! :D Mute Radiology could totally be used as a remix for a new F-Zero game - and I'm not just blowing air up anyone's skirt. :P

Somehow it also sounds really complex... layered?... I'm not sure how to place the way the sounds seem to interact. I just like it. ^_^

• 2 years later...

Oh gosh I remember this from my younger years, when I only looked at ReMixes from songs that I already knew the source tune from! How weird is that?

I didn't really like it when I was a dumb kid, but I can definitely appreciate it now. I haven't tried the headphones experience yet, but as I'm listening to it now the crazy syncopation is really interesting, never gets old. The actual Mute City melody seems secondary in whatever weird experience this song is trying to make, but that's sort of okay. I think ReMixes should be 'allowed' to take the iconic parts of their source material and do what they want with them, even if it means making them a smaller part of the new song. Even though this song seems to deal primarily with messing with the first few chords of the original, it's still something that is inherently linked to Mute City. 

Anyway I don't know what I'm talking about but I like this song. Except for that ending >:o like okay thanks for stopping by bye?? you left your coat here!??

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00061 - F-Zero "Mute Radiology"