OCR00061 - F-Zero "Mute Radiology"

F-Zero 'Mute Radiology'

To say the intro is long is an understatement. I'm not a big fan of intros that are longer than they should be. But fear not for it eventually does start to get going! The sound of some of the instruments in this is a bit agitating. The percussion is good and the bass is nice, but to be honest I can't really find anything else I like about this ReMix. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More of DJP's extreme "I have loud snares" stuff, here.

Honestly, I love the phase warping and panning on this, not to mention the oh-so-distracting flanging that goes on during this mix. Wow.

Then again, the first time I listened to this was when I had the volume cranked, and I was wearing headphones. The snares and synth leads destroy your ears. Thank god DJP is equalizing and normalizing now. 8O

All in all, get this mix just to here the wackiness that goes on around the [somewhat long] intro, and occaisionally during the song itself. Good shtuff.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I don't seem to understand why some people dislike this remix. Firstly, I think the intro is well done. It's kind of nice to have a remix where it doesn't hop right into the melody right off the bat. Speaking of which, it's also nice to have a remix that takes some liberty with the melody. All in all, I like this remix.

• 3 months later...

djp does it yet again with another masterpiece creation - this is one of my favourite mixes from him, and with good reason too. I think he captures the feel of F-Zero, hi tech in fast cars, very well, and though I just can't seem to describe this song in words, it's best for you all to experience this yourselves. It's worth the download, and then some.

For some reason my Sony headphones bring the song to a whole new 3D dimension too - if you have headphones might I suggest you use them for this piece.

My only gripe is somewhere in the middle some random sound (I'm assuming it's from in-game but I haven't played F-Zero for a long time) plays quite loudly, but it quickly goes back to the theme. That part might have been done maybe not so rashly, but it detracts little from the overall quality of this mix.

Great work - keep it coming. ^^

• 4 weeks later...

Okay first off this one of my favorite remixes on the site and certainly the best thing I've heard DJP do i.m.h.o. I like the intro, I like the high energy of the piece and the way that the effects effectively raise the energy of the piece and actually add to it... I have qualms with many other remixes on this site where the effects are used as an interlude to steal the momentum of high energy song or are used in a manner that seperates themselves from musical form. In this piece the wild flanging, filtering, etc. are all used in a manner more along the lines of extreme articulations and lend the piece the most vitality that I have yet seen DJP put into a fast piece. I liked this version of the mix so much that I ended up going back to play F-Zero and am currently working on my 3rd or 4th remix of the same piece which I probably won't release unless I can attain a similar level of energy as that reaced in this one. DJP has added to song with his effects, with his intro and musical deviations from the original and has created my favorite mix of this very cool track.

• 2 weeks later...

GAH... I'm not sure if I'm in love with this one. Djp tremendously overdoes all the (them) techno stuff in both volume and pitch. This is one song though that doesn't have that many other remixes to compare it with, which works in its favor. After the "oww my bleeding ears" intro, the song does bob along nicely with its classic melody. 4/8

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just the fact that this was not only the 1st mp3 I downloaded off this site, but the 1st mp3 I've downloaded ever that makes this mix special; but I truly find nothing wrong with it.

The lead sound is a little weird, like an overly-driven guitar or something, but otherwise, it's not bad IMO.

8/10

• 1 month later...

Phat remix djp i love it, upbeat, great tempo, the intro lets you know that it's unlike any other remix on this site. It's extremely unorthodox and unique, but those qualities give this remix an edge that MANY songs just don't have. This remix brings back some really old memories of playing this game, and i think it's awesome. Keep mixin' djp.

• 2 months later...

This ReMix really does the Mute City theme justice. I, personally, like the intro, but I can see how some would find it too loud, and I don't think that it's overdone at all. It fits very well with the game. I don't particularly like that little weirdness around 2:14-2:16 because I have no idea why it's there. It just sounds added.

I always found it odd that the "city with no sound" had the coolest music out of all of the tracks that I played. My cart kept loosing track of my scores and such, so I never got very far unless I played all the way through without turning it off. I also kept loosing my low times on all of the tracks, which was VERY frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally I can't see why djp was so unsure about this remix. It captures the spirit of the F-Zero games perfectly and is one of my favorite mixes. On the intro, it builds up to the central part of the song and does it's job to the best of it's ability. I can easily see this as a tune in F-Zero GX. Overall 92%

• 5 weeks later...

F-Zero tunes need more ReMixing...

This is a perfect example of why. Sure, it's nigh a minute and a half until the actual song gets started, but I think the intro is just plain awesome all the way through. It's actually after the actual tune gets started that I like the song less (but only just a very, very little bit). The irony.

Someone made a eariler statement that the song is a tad on the painful side if you got some headphones on and the volume cranked up. I can agree with that sentiment. I like this one loud, though. I can't help it.

Another favorite of mine, this is just an excellent mix that gets the adrenilene going, and the intro is a perfect build up.

Score: 8/10

• 4 months later...

Ugh... definitely do NOT listen to this with headphones. Very painful. Still, interesting mix to say the least. The intro is a bit long, but I still like it. It's not so long that I forget that I'm listening to a Mute City mix. :)

I give it an 8 out of 10.

• 3 months later...

I don't see what the big deal is about the intro, here. For one, it's awesome. Two, it is from the original song. Three...well, it's just frickin' awesome. It's definitely my favorite part of the song. I'd give it a 9/10 and the rest a 7/10. The song does have some awesome stereo effects with headphones, but that part around 2:15 is ugly. Makes me sick.

Overall: Good mix, great intro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

w00t! I was searching for F-Zero tunes when I found OCR. I love it! Here's my take on this gem.

The intro is the best part. It really has an awesome beat. The main body of the song is somewhat dull, but the end is great. I love the channel switching. It's kind of hard to notice without headphones. Some time ago, I burnt this song to CD and was listening to it with my walkman for the first time with the volume cranked up all the way. That one part (I think it's a 2:12) scared the crap outta me! It's a nice chage from your standard melody-harmony-base-beat remix, and I give it a 10/10.

_glitch_

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wuh. To all headphone-bearers: Beware stereophonic phase switching! It didn't necessarily hurt my ears, but it does make you feel very unbalanced. Try not to listen to this while driving (Wearing headphones while driving is a ticketable offense anyways)!

That aside, this is definitely not your run-of-the mill techno. It starts out strong, droops a bit in the middle, but picks up the slack at the end. Though disorienting, the various sleight-of-ear tricks are quite enjoyable, and add the unique twist evey piece of OCR techno needs, what with all the existing techno on this site.

I've actually just listened to this again on speakers, and it's actually way cool. As, you say, the middle's a bit disappointing, but the beginning and end are imaginative and well done and the phase tricks add an amazing sense of space.

Alas, I mostly listen to remixes at work, through headphones, so this won't be going on my permanent playlist...

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00061 - F-Zero "Mute Radiology"