-Hook

-The Incredibles

-The Passion of the Christ

-The Rock

-The Mask of Zorro

-Equilibrium

-The Matrix Revolutions

-Advent Children

-Disney's Beauty & the Beast (score AND soundtrack)

-The Last Samurai

-Signs had a REALLY cool main theme, rest of the score was OK

...more stuff I can't remember.

-Hook

HOOK DAMNIT! HOOK! best ever.

also, the theme from pirates one. the name of is "he's a pirate" I believe. I can't stop laughing when I think of the melody and someone singing "he's a pirate" to that melody all the time :D

"he's a pirate, he's a pirate, he's a pirate, he is cool. he's a pirate, he's a pirate, he's a pirate, super cool" and so on

Some of the soundtracks I own and enjoy include:

The Abyss (Alan Silvestri)

Starship Troopers (Basil Poledouris

Citizen Kane (Bernard Hermann)

Vertigo (Bernard Hermann)

Edward Scissorhands (Danny Elfman)

Krull (James Horner)

First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)

Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)

Dances With Wolves (John Barry)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (John Williams)

I didn't include any of the obvious things that everyone knows like Star Wars, ET, etc. I don't think very many of those had been mentioned yet in the thread, either.

I agree with most of the ones that have been up here. And ot my surprise someone even mentioned the last starfighter, the main theme of which I really enjoy.

but a few that havent been mentioned

in the realm of animated musicals

Mulan

The Prince of Egypt

Dont have a lot to say there except that they are both excellent

and in the realm of orchetsral scores

Star Trek First contact - very dark and eerie with the exception of the main theme which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard in a movie

And it shocks me that no one has mentioned the Dragonheart soundtrack. Its is an incredibly well written score. It fits the period it is supposed ot be describing very well, and conveys a great deal of emotion. It is also home to what is possibly the most recognizable main theme in any movies. Even if you cant pick out what movie its from I guarauntee you've heard it a dozen times.

For what it's worth, Giorgio Moroder -- the guy who wrote the Neverending Story theme song -- is the same guy who wrote Berlin's "Take my Breath Away" (i.e. that song from Top Gun).

Ya know, I know of the guy, but I had no idea he wrote that Berlin song. Genius.

Anyone mentioned Jurassic Park yet?

Somewhat off topic, but if you're ever in Orlando, FL, head to Universal Studios Isle of Adventure. Throughout the park, they play some of the best epic/recognizeable soundtrack scores while walking around the park or even inside some rides. It's a very cool experience. For exaple, the above theme in the Jurassic Park area. Also, the one that stuck out to me the most but is original to the ride (I think) was the theme song playing while you're walking through Poseidon's Fury.

Anyone mentioned Jurassic Park yet?

Somewhat off topic, but if you're ever in Orlando, FL, head to Universal Studios Isle of Adventure. Throughout the park, they play some of the best epic/recognizeable soundtrack scores while walking around the park or even inside some rides. It's a very cool experience. For exaple, the above theme in the Jurassic Park area. Also, the one that stuck out to me the most but is original to the ride (I think) was the theme song playing while you're walking through Poseidon's Fury.

Disney's MGM studios, too. They even play the Harry Potter theme in MGM, and I don't know wtf that's about.

A few older epic scores you are missing out on:

Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Alexander Nevsky - Sergei Prokofiev

Ivan the Terrible - Sergei Prokofiev

Antony and Cleopatra - John Scott

The Lion in Winter - Jerry Goldsmith

Jesus of Nazareth - Maurice Jarre

...and I also must express my love for Conan the Barbarian, Krull, and Red Sonja (Morricone's own Conan).

And it shocks me that no one has mentioned the Dragonheart soundtrack. Its is an incredibly well written score. It fits the period it is supposed to be describing very well, and conveys a great deal of emotion. It is also home to what is possibly the most recognizable main theme in any movies. Even if you cant pick out what movie its from I guarantee you've heard it a dozen times.

Ahh yes you're right. I forgot Dragonheart in my original post.

Star Trek First contact - very dark and eerie with the exception of the main theme which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard in a movie

The scary thing is, I was just reading through this thread thinking, "I wonder why nobody has mentioned First Contact yet?" and then I stumble upon that post. I'll chime in with my agreement on that, however. It's an absolutely amazing piece of work, and the main theme comes across beautifully without reeking of "this was written for Star Trek", making it something that sounds at home almost anywhere.

As for Crimson Tide, all I have to say is

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hv3PHI0QwQ4

...wow...

Hm. Now that I think about it, What Dreams May Come had in my opinion an absolutely stunning soundtrack, featuring music that gripped my heart with the saturated unreality of it's artistic scenes. The dark music depicting the depths of Hell were so haunting and chilling. One of the top ten on my list.

Fifth Element

That movie had some of the weirdest freakin' music I've ever heard in a movie. Just bizarre. But concerning it's orchestral pieces, absolutely. My favorites were Human Nature-that one actually made me cry-and the last piece, were Leeloo and Corban saved the world by kissing. Fantastic musical piece.

Outta Shear curiosity, how many copyrights would one have to go through to get some OcRemix in thier movie? O_o

Don't quote me on this but I think all you have to do is ask the Remixer for the usage as long as there is no money involved. I don't think remixes, like parodies, are required to have permission to be used in any media.